Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,134,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
There are so many factors that go into this - and at the end of the day, I'm not sure why it would matter.
It's a big deal because many men who consider themselves average looking can't get a woman to save their lives and they see average looking girls with tons of options.

That's the perspective at least.

As for myself, I wouldn't consider myself average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,137,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's a big deal because many men who consider themselves average looking can't get a woman to save their lives and they see average looking girls with tons of options.

Are these average looking men who can't get dates lacking in personality, intelligence, drive, etc? Because that matters just as much, if not more.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Are these average looking men who can't get dates lacking in personality, intelligence, drive, etc? Because that matters just as much, if not more.
You tell me.

Do the men you reject have as much going on as you? Less. Or more?

Degrees, job, hobbies.

I do think I have those things going on. But I'm not really average looking.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:

If a person has a lot of options - it is usually because they are desirable. And desirability depends on a bunch of different things - looks, personality, ambition, etc. So maybe an average girl has tons of options because she's an overall great person - not just because she's not gorgeous.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,137,031 times
Quote:
You tell me.

Do the men you reject have as much going on as you? Less. Or more?

Degrees, job, hobbies.
Well, I haven't been interested in dating lately, so the men that I currently reject are for that reason.

Men that I have rejected in the past are because their personality didn't appeal to me, they were too pushy, we wanted different things, or I just plain wasn't interested in them.

I tend to date men who are from similar backgrounds to myself, and are at a similar or higher education point. Some men have been more successful than myself, some the same, some working on it.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If a person has a lot of options - it is usually because they are desirable. And desirability depends on a bunch of different things - looks, personality, ambition, etc. So maybe an average girl has tons of options because she's an overall great person - not just because she's not gorgeous.
You sold me.

I guess I'm missing one of those things. I've worked on two of them for over 20 years, so I guess it's the third.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
Well, I haven't been interested in dating lately, so the men that I currently reject are for that reason.

Men that I have rejected in the past are because their personality didn't appeal to me, they were too pushy, we wanted different things, or I just plain wasn't interested in them.

I tend to date men who are from similar backgrounds to myself, and are at a similar or higher education point. Some men have been more successful than myself, some the same, some working on it.
I think if most average men were approached by a women of equal attractiveness who was also cool and nice, they'd be all about it. But the average woman wants more, and she afford to be picky because she usually has many men after her.

In that sense, the average man is more like an interviewee for a job, and the average woman is more like the job. She'll pick the one who comes closest to her criteria.

Men can circumvent this by going the friends first route, but by then, feelings are involved and rejection may cause pain. And good looking men do have lots of options. Probably as much as the average woman.

But yes, average women do generally have as many options as really good looking women, if you think of average as 10 women walk in a room and pick the 5th or 6th.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,226,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Not yours
Translation: "I don't know what I meant."

Well played.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,206,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
So if both have an amazing personality, you're gonna pick the more gorgeous woman?
I dont mean to be an arse, but you actually have to ASK that question? I dont care what politically correct answer SOME may give you here on C-D....watch those scenarios in real life and see. If all other things are equal, of course the more beautiful women will ALWAYS get more opportunites.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,206,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Really? Not the one he has more in common with, has more fun with, shares values with?
Nice of you to paint all men in that horrible light.
We are talking about ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL. So, its not fair to compare a man who say... has gotten to know woman number one fairly well, (and she is decent/average looking), to woman number 2 that he just meets, and doesnt know her personality as well. He might just choose the woman with the wonderful personality who is decent/average looking because he ALREADY knows her personality.

But, if that same man met both of those women on the same day at a picnic or something, and both women chatted him up and seemed to be attracted to him, and he had great conversation with both of them, and thought they both had nice personalites (from what he could tell), he is gonna pick the hot chick over the average chick.

Come on people, reality here. Men are more brutal when it comes to wanting good looks in women. Women like looks in men too, but also take into account a guys status, what he does for a living, etc etc. For men, a woman's looks grab them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships