Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM

19,816 posts, read 20,420,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
mo·nog·a·my
/məˈnägəmē/
Noun
1. The practice or state of being married to one person at a time.
2. The practice or state of having a sexual relationship with only one partner.

it's definition 2 that confuses all of it
Well, generally speaking, monogamous relationships mirror that of a marriage, just without the wedding bells n whistles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,806,349 times
If I can just have two husbands I think I would be happy

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,783,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
True. I have to continually remind myself what consenting adults do is up to them and it is not my place to apply my morals to them whether it be Homosexualality, Gender transformations, Furry life styles or Polygamy. While I find much of the behavior unsavory, consenting Adult Humans have the right to pursue any life style they like to live.
Except that certain adult human beings try to intentionally and deliberately entice and lure (corrupt?) others to pursue alternative lifestyles, that you (or they) might under normal circumstances, find to be morally objectionable...

For example: what happens if you were say hypothetically a father, and a young adult man tried to persuade your 22-year old, straight daughter (in this example) into a polyamorous relationship, and/or a bis*xual relationship with multiple simultaneous partners (essentially an "orgy")? For this example, assume also, that she has no prior experience with this kind of lifestyle -- as a father, would you object to the young man's advances towards your daughter, on moral grounds?

In MHO, if someone is trying to induce your children to engage in alternative-lifestyle intimate activity that you morally object to, and you sincerely believe that your children could potentially be hurt by it, there is nothing wrong with standing up for your beliefs...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Adds/Edits

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM

19,816 posts, read 20,420,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Except that certain adult human beings try to intentionally and deliberately entice and lure others to pursue alternative lifestyles, that you may find morally objectionable...

For example: what happens if you were say a hypothetically a father, and a young adult man tried to persuade your 22-year old daughter (in this example) into a polyamorous relationship, and/or a bis*xual relationship or essentially an "orgy", with multiple partners? For this example, assume also, that she has no prior experience with this kind of lifestyle -- as a father, would you object to the young man's advances towards your daughter, on moral grounds?

In MHO, if someone is trying to induce your children to engage in alternative-lifestyle intimate activity that you morally object to, and you sincerely believe that your children could potentially be hurt by it, there is nothing wrong with standing up for your beliefs...
Sounds like this hypothetical family's got some issues....

Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,235,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Yes we are, if people would just pull their heads out of their asses and control themselves and their lives and stop being slaves to their base desires and instincts and refusing to actually think.
Luckily some of us don't feel the need to be constrained thusly. It has nothing to do with baser instincts but the recognition that love does not exist within us in a limited supply. And that to love one does not in any way diminish love for another.

Quote:
The way a lot of Americans go about their love lives is like how fat people go about eating, all they do is sate their feelings and don't think about the long-term consequences.
It is true that some people don't have the maturity for one relationship forget about more than one!

Quote:
A couple of threads we mentioned arranged marriages and their far greater success. Indian people and the like manage to do it and end up having much better love/family lives from it.
I think I disagree with your success criteria because I see nothing of love in an arranged marriage. I am sure it develops sometimes, but love is hardly the point. If by success you mean failing to divorce, then perhaps they are more successful. But that is not what I want out of my love life. I want love, companionship, fun, radical intimacy, closeness, fun, sharing common interests, crazy sex, slow calm loving sex and trust that the people who love me would never ever ever intentionally hurt me.

Quote:
I mean, half the American women out there don't understand that you're not going to find your husband at a bar.
Why not? People are doing whatever fun things that they are doing where ever they are.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
mo·nog·a·my
/məˈnägəmē/
Noun
1. The practice or state of being married to one person at a time.
2. The practice or state of having a sexual relationship with only one partner.

it's definition 2 that confuses all of it

Huh. I am not confused. The meaning of the word monogamous does not need to have parallel meaning in polygamy. Words' meanings and nuance of meaning change with use.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Except that certain adult human beings try to intentionally and deliberately entice and lure (corrupt?) others to pursue alternative lifestyles, that you (or they) might under normal circumstances, find to be morally objectionable...
That is not a matter of being of alternative lifestyle. That is a matter of being an unconscionable jerk. Alt lifestyles are not proof against the fact that some people are jerks, nor are traditional lifestyles for that matter. There are all manner of mono jerks.

Quote:
For example: what happens if you were say hypothetically a father, and a young adult man tried to persuade your 22-year old, straight daughter (in this example) into a polyamorous relationship, and/or a bis*xual relationship with multiple simultaneous partners (essentially an "orgy")? For this example, assume also, that she has no prior experience with this kind of lifestyle -- as a father, would you object to the young man's advances towards your daughter, on moral grounds?

For example what if you are a monogamous father diddling his daughter... what does this have to do with alt lifestyles?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Sounds like this hypothetical family's got some issues....
I just meant to illustrate that as one example of an extreme case. I have in my own lifetime, known examples of young adult people who were basically "corrupted", by others -- enticed to do things they would never have done, under normal circumstances and based on their own earlier moral beliefs. Once the action has actually occured though, it becomes difficult or impossible for them to "go back to before", because the genie is already out of the bottle, by that time...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
no, they're the present.

serial monogamy, if you rotate through partners quickly and carelessly enough, is not much different than having multiple partners.
I would be interested to know where you get your knowledge of polyamory? There is very little that is similar between poly and serial monogamy.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is not a matter of being of alternative lifestyle. That is a matter of being an unconscionable jerk. Alt lifestyles are not proof against the fact that some people are jerks, nor are traditional lifestyles for that matter. There are all manner of mono jerks.
Do polyamorous relationships ever have the potential to result in something like an orgy with multiple partners at the same time, though? Or are polyamorous relationships only with a single partner, at a time? (I am asking because I myself have no idea, having never had any experience with that lifestyle of course.)

Quote:
For example what if you are a monogamous father diddling his daughter... what does this have to do with alt lifestyles?
That would be child abuse and incest -- a different subject entirely...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-17-2013 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships