Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Except that certain adult human beings try to intentionally and deliberately entice and lure (corrupt?) others to pursue alternative lifestyles, that you (or they) might under normal circumstances, find to be morally objectionable...

For example: what happens if you were say hypothetically a father, and a young adult man tried to persuade your 22-year old, straight daughter (in this example) into a polyamorous relationship, and/or a bis*xual relationship with multiple simultaneous partners (essentially an "orgy")? For this example, assume also, that she has no prior experience with this kind of lifestyle -- as a father, would you object to the young man's advances towards your daughter, on moral grounds?

In MHO, if someone is trying to induce your children to engage in alternative-lifestyle intimate activity that you morally object to, and you sincerely believe that your children could potentially be hurt by it, there is nothing wrong with standing up for your beliefs...
Just like our constitutional rights. It's a slippery slope. As long as they are adults I have no say so in what is moral to them.

In the example. I could only raise a daughter the best way I could using my vision of right and wrong. Of course as a parent I would be pushing my ideas of morality on her. As an adult I would have to abide by her decisions. In reality I might have the guy by the balls. Then I would end up in in Jail for assault or worse.

On the children statement I would have to refer back to this appying to wait I said about applying to adults only. If your talking about the influence that adults will have on children with respect to 'alternative-lifestyles' the best I could suggest would be to discuss it from a technical standpoint. ie. "There are a small percentage of people that choose a lifestyle that is different then what you have been exposed. And while we may not agree with it, it is in their rights, as adults, to choose to live that way. Now stay away from those freaks"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Just like our constitutional rights. It's a slippery slope. As long as they are adults I have no say so in what is moral to them.

In the example. I could only raise a daughter the best way I could using my vision of right and wrong. Of course as a parent I would be pushing my ideas of morality on her.
You don't HAVE to push your morality on your child. You can raise a child to think for themselves. Ask more questions than you answer. Prompt them to think of reasons for the answers that they come up with. Challenge them to rethink their answers.

Quote:
As an adult I would have to abide by her decisions. In reality I might have the guy by the balls. Then I would end up in in Jail for assault or worse.
OR you could teach her, raise her to be an emotionally healthy and mature grown individual. Then daddy does not need to loom over the potential ne'er do well. She can take care of herself.

Quote:
On the children statement I would have to refer back to this appying to wait I said about applying to adults only. If your talking about the influence that adults will have on children with respect to 'alternative-lifestyles' the best I could suggest would be to discuss it from a technical standpoint. ie. "There are a small percentage of people that choose a lifestyle that is different then what you have been exposed.

HAAAAAA. I have a different challenge. There are a small number of people who have chosen the lifestyle to which you have been exposed. PLEASE stay away from the ones for whom the decision was based on being too emotionally warped or stupid to grasp it.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
It seems everything is going toward the unconventional. It's almost as if it's PC to accept it, and if you don't, you're not PC. I think there are some (few) people who are pushing toward this polyamorous (sp - red) version of dating and relationships. I'm open minded enough; however, there's a line that needs to be drawn. My answer is that I don't approve. If you want to do this, stay single, and not even in a relationship, for that matter.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It seems everything is going toward the unconventional. It's almost as if it's PC to accept it, and if you don't, you're not PC. I think there are some (few) people who are pushing toward this polyamorous (sp - red) version of dating and relationships. I'm open minded enough; however, there's a line that needs to be drawn. My answer is that I don't approve. If you want to do this, stay single, and not even in a relationship, for that matter.

Why do you care what someone ELSE does in their relationship(s)? While I can clearly understand YOUR not choosing a lifestyle that does not suit. But you think that your disapproval warrants your telling people that if they approve, they should still remain single? (Bear in mind that no one is suggesting any change in law.)

Time goes on. Once upon a time, people would have said the same thing about gay relationships. All discussion of the legalization aside, do you think that gay people should remain single simply because they are different that some number of people greater than 50% that make up the majority?

I would wager that our polyfaithful relationship os 200% healthier, more honest, more loving than the vast majority of mono relationships. If this board is any indication, even more!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
With most of the polygamous "dating" relationships, it seems like there is always someone who is unaware that the relationship is polygamous.

I don't think society has a beef with polygamy, it's the lies, cheating, deceit, etc, that always seems to be found in these type of "relationships".

Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
With most of the polygamous "dating" relationships, it seems like there is always someone who is unaware that the relationship is polygamous.

I don't think society has a beef with polygamy, it's the lies, cheating, deceit, etc, that always seems to be found in these type of "relationships".

I would ask you for some evidence that these "types" of relationships have even AS MUCH lies, cheating, deceit as mono ones. What need? (I want to note that I am talking about polyAMORY lifestyles. I think we already commented on the problems with the word polygamy.)

It is easy to have opinions about what you know nothing about. It is called prejudice. It is what black people have experienced. Continue to experience. You have to watch the crime with "those types of people". It could not be their socioeconomic situation, lack of opportunity or hopelessness that causes it. Nope. Anyone can see from the statistics that black people perpetrate more crime. Jews experience it. We all know that Jews are cheap and will steal a unmatched mitten from their aged grandmother. Gays experience it. Lord knows that gays are responsible for HIV! And, and.... nice clothes!

Eventually reason and sanity prevail and most people realize that people are people. There will always be ignorant f's that want to hate. Haters gotta. It is just funny to me that people don't see patters. Each "new" thing (and polyamory is not new) just gets people scared.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would ask you for some evidence that these "types" of relationships have even AS MUCH lies, cheating, deceit as mono ones. What need? (I want to note that I am talking about polyAMORY lifestyles. I think we already commented on the problems with the word polygamy.)

It is easy to have opinions about what you know nothing about. It is called prejudice. It is what black people have experienced. Continue to experience. You have to watch the crime with "those types of people". It could not be their socioeconomic situation, lack of opportunity or hopelessness that causes it. Nope. Anyone can see from the statistics that black people perpetrate more crime. Jews experience it. We all know that Jews are cheap and will steal a unmatched mitten from their aged grandmother. Gays experience it. Lord knows that gays are responsible for HIV! And, and.... nice clothes!

Eventually reason and sanity prevail and most people realize that people are people. There will always be ignorant f's that want to hate. Haters gotta. It is just funny to me that people don't see patters. Each "new" thing (and polyamory is not new) just gets people scared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Fle...7s_Nest_(novel)

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That doesn't sound "open minded" to me.

It takes some nerve to say that no one deserves a relationship unless it is strict monogamy. Adults are free to do what they agree to regarding sex. Nothing "needs to be drawn" at all.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That doesn't sound "open minded" to me.

It takes some nerve to say that no one deserves a relationship unless it is strict monogamy. Adults are free to do what they agree to regarding sex. Nothing "needs to be drawn" at all.
Fine. That's my line. People can do what they want. They can "design" these relationships if both parties agree. The reality is one party won't. Infidelity is still grounds for divorce, not to mention the identifier for the "faulty" party. This is essentially the same thing as an "open relationship" or swinging, but under a different label.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Are Polygamous relationships the future of dating? It seems that with every passing generation they are becoming less and less conservative when it comes to dating. Swinging is not common but it is starting to become noticed by main society. Infidelity is becoming more and more prevelant in relationships and in marriages.

People are not engineered to be with just 1 person.

Furthermore you have lots of married couples who practice swinging and report happy marriages and improved sex lives.

Are we heading in this direction?
Are relationships between just one man and one women be a thing of the past..
People have been banging mad people since the beginning of time. It's not like it's new and it's not like people won't do it and then get married as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships