Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That doesn't mean he was in high demand. His wife isn't even that good looking..
Who cares? He found a woman who loves him so what does he care if he was in high demand or not?

I think his wife is fairly average, just like he is. Amazing how that works...a man going after a woman who is on his level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,155 times
It's not hate; I doubt most women literally hate or dislike awkward guys. Those that do probably aren't good matches for you anyway. However...

Awkward people tend to often act (mostly inadvertently and subconsciously) in a way that is unexpected and confuses others - i.e. they aren't immediately sure how to react or respond. The awkward person may say something that doesn't quite "fit" neatly into the context of the conversation, resulting in others mentally going "WTF". The awkward person may crack a joke that doesn't make contextual sense or that has bad timing, which usually results in brief weird silence or the other person(s) responding in a hesitant, halting, or stammering manner...or maybe a forced (and fake) chuckle or laugh. These kinds of situations tend to make others feel uncomfortable and even a bit awkward themselves briefly (when they normally aren't). And most people understandably prefer to keep their distance from folks like that.

There may be that rare woman out there who likes you the way you are, awkwardness included. If so, great. But you will be much better off in life (personal, romantic and professional) if you make an effort to not come across so awkward to others.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That doesn't mean he was in high demand. His wife isn't even that good looking..
Good for them. Two people who wisely know there's more to life than looks found happiness. More power to them!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Notice how I capitalized so much. I grasp the reason why awkwardness in general is frowned upon by women (sign of low confidence/weakness, makes thing uncomfortable, etc), but I really don't see why they have to look at as if it's some incurable disease that they instantly write a guy off for.
Hate is too strong of a word in this context. I would say avoid. If it is not a desirable trait, why would one want to associate with it?

[note: there is cool/cute awkward and then there is OMG awkward ]

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Hate is too strong of a word in this context. I would say avoid. If it is not a desirable trait, why would one want to associate with it?

Also known as adorkable.

But adorkable can quickly become insufferable.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Notice how I capitalized so much. I grasp the reason why awkwardness in general is frowned upon by women (sign of low confidence/weakness, makes thing uncomfortable, etc), but I really don't see why they have to look at as if it's some incurable disease that they instantly write a guy off for.
Maybe it's the women that you're choosing.

It's okay if a guy's shy and somewhat socially awkward. No one's perfect.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
I recently went out with a brainy type. I wouldn't call him awkward though. I like that he's smart and he has a good sense of humor too.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Because the thing women find most attractive in a man ain't his pecs, his bank account, his eyes, his height, or anything else like that. It's his self confidence, his ability to walk into a room and NOT look like a dog that's just had a haircut. And an awkward guy is the exact opposite of that.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,787 times
Awkwardness can be very endearing and sweet

Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

This.
We keep having OP's that make assumptions about what women do and don't like, and these assumptions are usually wrong, for some women. There are women who like short guys, women who like shy guys, women who like endearingly awkward guys (not creepy-awkward), etc. It all depends on the short guy, or the shy guy, or the awkward guy. Not all shy guys, short guys and awkward guys were created alike. There's so much more to people than one single feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships