Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM

218 posts, read 483,711 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think it's adorable when a guy is a little awkward. As long as he is functioning in society and doesn't have a medical disorder, I think it is charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,100,357 times
Quote:
Things fizzled out due to his Mother not wanting him to date me,
PFFFFF!!! LOLOLOL!

Maybe give him sex, and then he'll realize why men stop listening to their mothers after a certain age, lol!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,100,357 times
There's the scared girl thing, which I think I want to write a post on later, but let me copy and paste from a post I just posted a minute ago

In our culture, for whatever reason, feminist-directed rhetoric/portrayals in the media, like when girls go to college and they tell them that one of the two men around them will rape them, stuff like that. From my other post:

... there is a certain contingent of girls that show up in American society, who are scared of EVRYTHING and will literally right off a guy and call him "creepy" with something as trivial as an awkward silence (not that a silence should be awkward, this is another cultural thing we have). Two good examples are the girl I met at a meetup who said she gets scared before some meetups and just doesn't go and instead watches the big bang theory for 2 hours. Or the girl one poster described (in response to my example of meetup girl) of a girl who outright said she was afraid of men because of the movies on the Lifetime channel. It's like OMG! How much more stereotypical can you get!? That schema is the source of lord knows how many jokes!

That, and too much of a fear of silence. Even in groups there can be pauses in the conversation sometimes. This really shouldn't be the end of the world.
But the typical date, where you might not even know the person that well if it's an early-in-the-relationship date, and you're one-on-one, and you're doing stuff that puts you SOLELY in the position of talking, like eating dinner, can really push the need for conversation. This is half the reason that there so many games and activities in human culture, sometimes there needs to be a distraction.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Who cares? He found a woman who loves him so what does he care if he was in high demand or not?

I think his wife is fairly average, just like he is. Amazing how that works...a man going after a woman who is on his level.
Well I never said it mattered , but my response was to the op, and no awkward guys are not in demand and majority of people don't want to be with them....

I don't get why I should care if he found "love" lol, I wasn't even talking about that.. You're the one who chimed in on my comment

Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Shy men just look weird

Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well I never said it mattered , but my response was to the op, and no awkward guys are not in demand and majority of people don't want to be with them....
I think the point was that awkward guys don't need to be in high demand. They just need to find the right woman for them, and an example was provided of an awkward guy who is happily married. As we've seen here on this thread, some women have no problem with awkward guys. It's not the huge horrible stigma the OP seems to think it is. The OP is way off base in his assumption.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I don't think that "not being attracted to someone" and "hating someone so much" are the same thing. That would be a good thing for some people to remember.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Can we get some terms defined first before embarking on this?

Nerdiness, geekiness, dorkiness, are all traits that are actually very much in vogue, currently. America is becoming increasingly reliant on tech and service industries now that all the heavy industry has moved to Asia. The bespectacled masses of silicon valley are not the McFlies of the 1950s.

(Strangely autocorrect thinks dorkiness translates to kinkiness but moving on.)

Social awkwardness on the other hand, is not attractive, to anybody. And awkwardness does not mean being introverted or anything of the sort. It means saying the wrong things at the wrong time, not knowing what to say (being excessively silent), not reciprocating in conversation, asking inappropriate questions, et cetera.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Can we get some terms defined first before embarking on this?

Nerdiness, geekiness, dorkiness, are all traits that are actually very much in vogue, currently. America is becoming increasingly reliant on tech and service industries now that all the heavy industry has moved to Asia. The bespectacled masses of silicon valley are not the McFlies of the 1950s.

(Strangely autocorrect thinks dorkiness translates to kinkiness but moving on.)

Social awkwardness ... does not mean being introverted or anything of the sort. It means saying the wrong things at the wrong time, not knowing what to say (being excessively silent), not reciprocating in conversation, asking inappropriate questions, et cetera.
But it's not unusual for some guys to be tongue-tied around women, and that's what some women here are saying can be endearing. This kind of awkwardness is usually situational, and after getting to know the woman, and the guy gains confidence in the dating situation, it disappears. Awkwardness is not necessarily social death the OP thinks it is. It depends on how severe it is, for one thing.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Nerd and flat out awkward are two different things. There are a lot (lets say) socially challenged men in my grad program. I was in class just yesterday and this guy came and sat next to me. He proceeded to breathe heavily and stare at me for the next 3 hours. When I actually spoke to him, he fumbled over his words, couldn't put a coherent sentence together, and then proceeded to breath heavily and stare again. I wont be sitting in the same spot next class. It was incredibly uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships