Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Can we get some terms defined first before embarking on this?

Nerdiness, geekiness, dorkiness, are all traits that are actually very much in vogue, currently. America is becoming increasingly reliant on tech and service industries now that all the heavy industry has moved to Asia. The bespectacled masses of silicon valley are not the McFlies of the 1950s.

(Strangely autocorrect thinks dorkiness translates to kinkiness but moving on.)

Social awkwardness on the other hand, is not attractive, to anybody. And awkwardness does not mean being introverted or anything of the sort. It means saying the wrong things at the wrong time, not knowing what to say (being excessively silent), not reciprocating in conversation, asking inappropriate questions, et cetera.

Yeah, I'm very much the latter and not at all the former. I'm not nerdy. I'm not good with computers and the like. However, I am socially awkward in conversation. This puts me in a predicament because if I was good with computers and such I could be an engineer or web developer and be making six figures, in which case I'd definitely have a girlfriend. But like I said I'm not a nerd techy, I'm just bad with conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
, I'm just bad with conversation.
I hear joining Toastmasters can work wonders to resolve that. People swear by it.
Or were you one of those guys who just posts to whine, and not to resolve his problems and move on to a happier life? I hope not.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hear joining Toastmasters can work wonders to resolve that. People swear by it.
I actually have a few friends who have been in it for a couple years. It doesn't seem to be helping them.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,271,713 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm very much the latter and not at all the former. I'm not nerdy. I'm not good with computers and the like. However, I am socially awkward in conversation. This puts me in a predicament because if I was good with computers and such I could be an engineer or web developer and be making six figures, in which case I'd definitely have a girlfriend. But like I said I'm not a nerd techy, I'm just bad with conversation.
Do you get nervous and say the wrong thing? Or are you just bad with conversation period?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Do you get nervous and say the wrong thing? Or are you just bad with conversation period?
I guess both. Sometimes I'll say something and everyone will give this really silent pause like what I just said was beyond awkwardness.

Here are a few examples:

Me: Have you seen that movie before?
Girl (in an annoyed voice): No, that's why I'm watching it now!

A group of people were talking about the movie Elf and I suddenly said the quote I KNOW HIM then immediately after that everyone in the group goes dead silent.

On one date I said the phrase "negative interactions" and the girl kept on repeating the phrase in a condescending tone throughout the date.

When some friends and I were looking at purchasing tickets to the opening midnight showing for The Dark Knight, I said that the IMAX showing would have bigger nerds than the non-IMAX showing. Immediately this girl goes "I'm pretty sure they're all going to be nerds." So when I was trying to articulate that the IMAX showing would have bigger nerds than the non-IMAX showing it wasn't comprehended.

Last edited by simon22; 02-02-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I guess both. Sometimes I'll say something and everyone will give this really silent pause like what I just said was beyond awkwardness.
I find this endearing.....I can understand why it would concern you but why don't you just think before you say something ? I tend to speak without thinking and say stupid things but I just laugh it off have you tried that ?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM

37,649 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Can we get some terms defined first before embarking on this?

Nerdiness, geekiness, dorkiness, are all traits that are actually very much in vogue, currently. America is becoming increasingly reliant on tech and service industries now that all the heavy industry has moved to Asia. The bespectacled masses of silicon valley are not the McFlies of the 1950s.

(Strangely autocorrect thinks dorkiness translates to kinkiness but moving on.)

Social awkwardness on the other hand, is not attractive, to anybody. And awkwardness does not mean being introverted or anything of the sort. It means saying the wrong things at the wrong time, not knowing what to say (being excessively silent), not reciprocating in conversation, asking inappropriate questions, et cetera.

THANK you. I came back to this thread just to see if anyone had cleared that up. No idea why people think they are the same!!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,357,102 times
Quote:
Notice how I capitalized so much. I grasp the reason why awkwardness in general is frowned upon by women (sign of low confidence/weakness, makes thing uncomfortable, etc), but I really don't see why they have to look at as if it's some incurable disease that they instantly write a guy off for.
ummm....cuz its awkward.

...otherwise I'd have a hot woman on my lap.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
PFFFFF!!! LOLOLOL!

Maybe give him sex, and then he'll realize why men stop listening to their mothers after a certain age, lol!
Sex isn't something to be given or taken. What an archaic view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well I never said it mattered , but my response was to the op, and no awkward guys are not in demand and majority of people don't want to be with them....

I don't get why I should care if he found "love" lol, I wasn't even talking about that.. You're the one who chimed in on my comment
Whoops, sorry... forgot this isn't a public message board.

My bad.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Here are a few examples:

Me: Have you seen that movie before?
Girl (in an annoyed voice): No, that's why I'm watching it now
!

A group of people were talking about the movie Elf and I suddenly said the quote I KNOW HIM then immediately after that everyone in the group goes dead silent.

On one date I said the phrase "negative interactions" and the girl kept on repeating the phrase in a condescending tone throughout the date.

When some friends and I were looking at purchasing tickets to the opening midnight showing for The Dark Knight, I said that the IMAX showing would have bigger nerds than the non-IMAX showing. Immediately this girl goes "I'm pretty sure they're all going to be nerds." So when I was trying to articulate that the IMAX showing would have bigger nerds than the non-IMAX showing it wasn't comprehended.

You said nothing wrong or awkward! If I were you I would have hit back with "so people can't watch the same film more than once?"

Don't let anyone guy or girl make you feel bad about yourself..... The statements you have written are nothing to worry about. Some of the films I like my friends look at me like I have horns seriously and I shrug it off or say it could be worse I could like legally blonde like you when I told them I went to see transformers, the Hulk or Spider-Man you would have thought I told them I committed a murder.

As for the elf lol has none of your friends got a sense of humour? It's not you it's them!! You just be you say what you like and if anyone doesn't like it then so what that's their problem not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships