Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,767,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
BTW, what's the area? I'm curious because I want to look into this claim that only a $500-600k place is decent.
Without getting too specific, this is the Washington DC area. And they're looking at single family homes. 2-3 bedrooms, 1-2 bathroom, yard. Most places don't even have a garge or driveway. And are usually 50-75 years old.

I've looked myself. The cheapest single family house within 45 minutes starts in the 500's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Without getting too specific, this is the Washington DC area. And they're looking at single family homes. 2-3 bedrooms, 1-2 bathroom, yard. Most places don't even have a garge or driveway. And are usually 50-75 years old.

I've looked myself. The cheapest single family house within 45 minutes starts in the 500's.
This is accurate, I live in a DC suburb. I also am realistic and if I want the amenities in my area, I'm going to work/pay for it.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,873 times
Quote:
If the homemaker shops for all the food at the supermarket, and makes all the food, including the spouse's lunches for work, walks or takes public transport everywhere, possibly gardens, does the laundry, watches the kids, fixes any problems in the house (or even helps expand it), tailors the clothing when necessary, etc. you can save like $30-$50k a year, all while exercising everyday to look good and keeping up the family's social life (yes, those too, when you have ALL day every day to do all that stuff, that's a lot of time). In other words you can get big savings and a much increased lifestyle.
Not to mention that a lot of both-spouses working couples often end up hiring a maid, so you need to subtract that from their supposed higher income.

So, does Mrs. wants-to-quit even know how to do all that?
Don't see any reason that this can't by both partners when both partners work.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,101,071 times
Quote:
Actually I found your post demeaning to women. Walk everywhere to look good, slave after your husband and kids like the good little woman she's supposed to be...<gag>
Actually, I was thinking of MY ideal lifestyle. I love to cook and can cook most types of meals, I have construction experience, and I love going to the gym everyday, and I'd love to be around my future kids as much as possible, oh, and I PREFER to walk everywhere, I HATE driving.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The cheapest single family house within 45 minutes starts in the 500's.
OK, then look into hour commutes areas.
Honestly, what's he doing with his spare time that's so important? Most people don't do squat.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
When are we going to start having the discussion about what their firstborn should be named?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Don't see any reason that this can't by both partners when both partners work.
You're kidding right?
Work takes a lot of time, few people have an actual 9-5 M-F, most people have more.
Add in an hour of commute time each way.

That takes up a LOT of time.
And you know cooking takes a lot of time, right? A real, home-cooked dinner is going to take 2 hours to cook if there's only one chef, not including buying the ingredients.

Not to mention looking after the kids, which you can't do when you're at work. There's a good 4 years before even pre-k childcare is available.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
2-3 bedrooms, 1-2 bathroom, yard. Most places don't even have a garge or driveway
Hard to believe. I've heard that DC is cheaper than my area (the tri-state area). While the person who told me that may be wrong, I still have trouble believing this has to be $500k.

Have they considered condos?

And again, what's so bad about renting? In this day and age it's smart, because fact is you're not "building equity" with your home purchase, regardless of what people want to believe.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,696 times
Quote:
You're kidding right?
Work takes a lot of time, few people have an actual 9-5 M-F, most people have more.

That takes up a LOT of time.
And you know cooking takes a lot of time, right? A real, home-cooked dinner is going to take 2 hours to cook if there's only one chef, not including buying the ingredients.

Not to mention looking after the kids, which you can't do when you're at work. There's a good 4 years before even pre-k childcare is available.
Day care. I went to day care before I turned 1.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,873 times
Quote:
You're kidding right?
ROFL.
No. Not kidding at all.

Quote:
Uhh..yeah...so?

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
I can make plenty of meals that take less than half of an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships