Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM

333 posts, read 310,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes, I couldn't flesh out the equation, as they are disproportionately represented in the investment community, at least in the Northeast. As for accounting, that's actually the profession where the products of the working class lift themselves up by their bootstraps, requiring only a bachelor's degree, at least before they changed the rules. They transition from the farm or their heavy industry working class communities, heading to a Big 10 school, picking up an accounting degree, and climbing the chain at some firm. Many accountants are corn-fed farm boys and, man, Mormons also love that major, as BYU cranks out a lot of them, so they have the wherewithal to breed earlier.
It kind of dovetails in with the Jewish stereotype of being good with figures. The Schottenstein family owns the Value City and DSW retail empire, also has a liquidation business as part of the empire. Legend has it that when the late Jerome Schottenstein went to a store that needed to be liquidated, he could do the math in his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
This chick aka OP ME

has a brother who is dating a chick who wants him to put her children on HIS will.

I started a thread God knows how long ago, somehow this Robert dude remembers it profoundly and tought the chick was ME

I have absolutely no children, robert you need to get professional help, get your brain examined. You have memory problems

Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
I deal with the public and you meet all kinds. My mantra is that everybody has a story.
That is my mantra to a tee. Talk to people and you will hear their story. And they are almost always interesting. I've heard it all.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,148,348 times
"[quote=SevenEleven;28104363]Correct. And the doctor is going to get more selective with each year that passes and becomes more proficient at is profession. He has every right to be careful with mate selection. Like I said in an earlier post, my brother used to tell chicks he'd meet at bars that he was a roofer Quote]

Having been married to a medical professional, let me tell you chica, A 42 year old single M.D. with a six year old picture up for six years on a dating site doesn't compute. Hot residents in med school are snatched up between first & fourth years of residency.

And for the other poster, when we were building our first home and the realtor asked what my husband did for a living, I told her he played in a grateful dead band. That ended the conversation real fast...

Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming Saturday!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,900,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Haha. Another paesan. I'd have a "goomba" (incorrect spelling btw) doctor to throw my business his way, and because I'd probably get along with him better, but I ain't in the Northeast. I've got a good one right now, and he's a WASP.

As far as doctors and attorneys go, most doctors and attorneys are not Jewish, but most Jewish professionals are doctors and attorneys. And, if you don't believe me, go to Lauderdale on vacation, pick up the hotel phone book which I do in places just to see how the last names shake out, go to the yellow pages under Attorneys, and I guarantee you will say "Oy vey."

I can't believe this thread is still going. This OP is ENTHRALLED with the CONCEPT of dating or snagging a physician. Any professional who has earned his or her stripes, and is attractive, has the right to be selective. If you haven't been on this sub-forum long enough, there's nothing that torques the ladies more than knowing that certain demographics or attributes throw them out of the running.

This chick, the OP, authored a thread about a new husband putting kids from another marriage on his will. Her recurring theme is economics. My last straw with Atlanta debutantes was with a girl whose mother said that "I'd be a good provider" (I ain't no doctor or attorney, not even close) and then she'd throw in jabs like "You'd never make it at IBM" (where her Dad worked) because I'm not the conformist she expected to complete her post-sorority world. Couple that with BAD sex, the kind that resembled playing doctor (no pun intended) and the fact that, charged with counting collections at the parish, she talked about people in the parish's contributions and/or wealth ... and you have someone who needs to be drop-kicked. A woman whose underlying current in her discussions is frequently economics is poison. I know women who are CPAs and they RARELY want to talk about MONEY outside of work, thank God, and instead we talk about family, friends, travel, restaurants, current urban issues, and other things.
I wish I could say parents of girls weren't still like this, but many are. I know in my 20's my mother would judge men based on what they could provide for me and when I would say I hoped to provide for myself she would get weird. In her mind pretty girls married men who had good careers and became sort of trophy wives. She's gotten over this but it was a struggle in my 20's and part of the reason I avoided marriage or serious relationships for the most part.

I do think economics plays an important part though in dating but not like many other women. I'm not concerned with what a man makes as long as I don't have to support him. However I am concerned in terms of dating because I don't want to support another woman's family but that's not really the same thing as what some women (and some men though less)do in terms of dating men who will support them.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I wish I could say parents of girls weren't still like this, but many are. I know in my 20's my mother would judge men based on what they could provide for me and when I would say I hoped to provide for myself she would get weird. In her mind pretty girls married men who had good careers and became sort of trophy wives. She's gotten over this but it was a struggle in my 20's and part of the reason I avoided marriage or serious relationships for the most part.

I do think economics plays an important part though in dating but not like many other women. I'm not concerned with what a man makes as long as I don't have to support him. However I am concerned in terms of dating because I don't want to support another woman's family but that's not really the same thing as what some women (and some men though less)do in terms of dating men who will support them.

well, the man has to be able to hold on to a decent job and be able to provide for his future family. There is nothing wrong with it. He certainly does not need a doctor's income though.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,114,757 times
Quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to date a man who is paying child support if that's what you mean. It isn't that I want him to spend that money to take me shoe shopping, but child support is a LONG TERM obligation and if I got serious with a guy like that or married him, it becomes my obligation too. No thanks.

I've had guys tell me before they were picky and it never ended well. I think telling the opposite sex you are picky is kind of a turn off anyway.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Having been married to a medical professional, let me tell you chica, A 42 year old single M.D. with a six year old picture up for six years on a dating site doesn't compute. Hot residents in med school are snatched up between first & fourth years of residency.

And for the other poster, when we were building our first home and the realtor asked what my husband did for a living, I told her he played in a grateful dead band. That ended the conversation real fast...

I don't agree. My brother is at least an "8" (of course, it's all relative) - 6' 2", athletic, handsome, hilarious, not a playboy, and a very compassionate guy. He looks a lot like Bob Saget, actually (his friends would call him that) and is very George Clooney-esque in demeanor. But we were raised as traditional Catholics and this is a hard match to find. It was almost a miracle that he was able to find someone accomplished and who shares the same values and who comes from the same faith, especially here in Methodist/Lutheran country.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Very important issue. I'll be the first to admit, I don't want to support someone else's seed and I won't.

Aside from that, what's more important to me is education, intellect and values. I don't care if someone has a Masters in Social Work but makes $30,000 a year. Hopefully, that means she is a bright woman who also has compassion for others.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM

[quote=Ladywithafan;28104834]"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
Correct. And the doctor is going to get more selective with each year that passes and becomes more proficient at is profession. He has every right to be careful with mate selection. Like I said in an earlier post, my brother used to tell chicks he'd meet at bars that he was a roofer Quote]

lol yeah!!!! I hear you

definitely will come back share updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships