Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,176,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
My "type" is someone who has a brain, an opinion on important issues, doesn't follow the hive, won't get me into trouble or debt, won't cause unnecessary drama and has a vagina. It's that simple.
Obviously your standards are too unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM

630 posts, read 1,051,807 times
this is crap. Most of the good looking women I know are semi hoes cuz so many guys are after them.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,373,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
this is crap. Most of the good looking women I know are semi hoes cuz so many guys are after them.
Sampling bias

Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,788,722 times
We can go around and around about this but the fact is that both men and women will be as horrible as opportunity allows. That's just human nature.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,511,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This simply isn't true. It sounds like she was cherry-picking examples that supported her thesis. Plenty of very attractive women use their looks to play as many men as they can. It's an ego-trip.
Yes, some do. A couple of interesting things I see skimming the paper:

"... whereas the social structural perspective indicates that women will favor committed, longer-term relationships, the evolutionary perspective suggests that women will also pursue uncommitted, short-term sexual encounters—but will be more selective than men in picking casual sexual partners."

and

"Table 2 also shows that for women, the number of sexual partners decreases monotonically with increasing physical attractiveness, whereas for men the number of sexual partners increases monotonically with increasing physical attractiveness. For women, the number of reported partners also decreases with BMI: Thinner women report fewer partners. Thinness is a dimension of attractiveness for women, so this pattern is consistent with the finding that more attractive women report fewer sexual partners."

While the paper may be correct in saying that more attractive women have fewer sexual partners, looking at table 2 shows that the difference in the mean number of sexual partners between the most and least attractive women is less than one. Based on weight, the difference is less than 1.6!

These differences are not going to be generally observable amongst people we know. It's significant statistically in a large enough sample (which this study appears to be using) and bears out the conclusions, but is small enough that it really does not matter to most people.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,926,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Unless he's wealthy, an ugly man is doomed. Let's stop pretending otherwise. Male / female "ugly" is very different. Few women are truly ugly, but male hormones enhance male ugliness. Plus, if the guy is shy due to being endlessly teased for his appearance, forget it. If he has good insurance that will cover therapy + plastic surgery maybe there's salvation, but otherwise the guy may as well put a bullet in his head and be done with it, if he cannot deal with eternal singledom. Let's stop sugar coating it, beating around the issue and let's stop blaming people for being naturally superficial. It's human nature.

Facts of life in the USA 2013. You must be either or:

- Wealthy or at least independently middle class
- Hot/cute
- Have a strong/powerful personality, although you need to be either rich in looks or money to truly justify that.

Those are the facts. "Bring something to the table" or eat on the floor with the other lepers of eternal singledom.
Here's the thing I have noticed about ugly men, at least the ones I have come in contact with. They have all had nasty personalities so of course they will likely stay single. I have a theory about this and that is they believed the lie that women don't judge on looks so they pursued the same women in demand as the better looking men, maybe even got used financially (seen this often where these men spent lots of money trying to win affection)only to end up alone. Because of this they developed an attitude. I haven't met a lot of ugly men who were nice too. That's why when I talk an ugly men online my first thought is he is probably a nasty man to boot. Stereotype, sure but when it's mostly what I have come across then it makes sense.

If these ugly men stayed in their league and pursued ugly girls I don't think they would be as bitter. At least that is my theory.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,769,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
CUPID’S ARROW: The Dating Market Really Is A Market. “McClintock’s study shows that just as good looks may be exchanged for status and financial resources, attractiveness may also be traded for control over the degree of commitment and progression of sexual activity.”

Interestingly, the more attractive the woman, the fewer sexual partners.

Among her findings:

-Very physically attractive women are more likely to form exclusive relationships than to form purely sexual relationships; they are also less likely to have sexual intercourse within the first week of meeting a partner. Presumably, this difference arises because more physically attractive women use their greater power in the partner market to control outcomes within their relationships.

-For women, the number of sexual partners decreases with increasing physical attractiveness, whereas for men, the number of sexual partners increases with increasing physical attractiveness.

-For women, the number of reported sexual partners is tied to weight: Thinner women report fewer partners. Thinness is a dimension of attractiveness for women, so is consistent with the finding that more attractive women report fewer sexual partners.

Cupid's arrow: Research illuminates laws of attraction
Not sure why people are saying that statement isn't true. It's absolutely true. I'm not saying there's no attractive single women, but most of the very attractive ones are 'off the market' and handpicked first by men because of their looks. They rarely have a shortage of male suitors, I've seen that for myself. Men have a 'grateful' attitude toward very attractive women, whereas an uglier woman has no power over men. A lot of them are desperate to get men and feel they have to sleep with them quickly, a very pretty woman doesn't feel obligated to do anything at all where these things are concerned and she's not made to feel that way either.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,780,534 times
It helps to explain why beautiful, young women are often not so good at sex.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,226,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Not sure why people are saying that statement isn't true. It's absolutely true. I'm not saying there's no attractive single women, but most of the very attractive ones are 'off the market' and handpicked first by men because of their looks. They rarely have a shortage of male suitors, I've seen that for myself. Men have a 'grateful' attitude toward very attractive women, whereas an uglier woman has no power over men. A lot of them are desperate to get men and feel they have to sleep with them quickly, a very pretty woman doesn't feel obligated to do anything at all where these things are concerned and she's not made to feel that way either.
^^^^Right on the money as usual

Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 AM

224 posts, read 358,317 times
Dating is a market?

Well I'm not selling well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships