Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

I want to see how often this goes on in the year 2013, and also I want to give you ladies dealing with this crap a chance to vent about it.
I know 2 women whose husbands not only work, but they do a WAY huger share of the household chores. The women work, as well. But the guys are the ones stepping up in the house.

The rest of everyone I know is comprised of a couple where the guy doesn't do 1/10th of the stuff the woman does (because he doesn't think of it, he doesn't think it's important, he doesn't think it's his job, she wants it done her way, she does it before he has a chance to, etc).

And the women are tired and they are bitter about this. Vent, vent, vent...I have to hear all this venting at work. Tired of it. Why did you marry the slob if you knew he was like this?

What's the most annoying/insulting is when they look at me and say, "I should have married a woman like you did...then I would have a good partner in the home blah blah blah." Hey, genius! I picked a responsible, NON-LAZY adult to spend my life with. Gender is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
50 years ago??!! Um...no, they aren't. Sure some couples pay themselves, but most weddings (for first-time brides) fall into the brides-parents-expense category.
I'm taking about generally. I'm not talking about every marriage on earth. All of my male friends who have recently gotten married had to help pay for something in the wedding. My last friend had to pay for the cake, the dj, the photographer, etc, etc. Maybe its just my friends but I don't know of many men that paid absolutely nothing for it

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times
Seriously it is like $150 every 2 weeks to have somebody come by and clean. Cheap and not worth the bickering over chores.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Sheeet lol. Maybe 50 years ago but those days are long gone lol. In 2013 the guys is expected to help pay for the wedding
The father of the bride pays for the wedding. The father of the groom pays for the rehearsal & dinner afterwards. Assuming those parties have the means, of course. If they don't, the wedding couple splits the costs, and adjust their plans to fit their budget. Theoretically.

Where the money for the honeymoon comes from is anyone's guess.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The father of the bride pays for the wedding. The father of the groom pays for the rehearsal & dinner afterwards. Assuming those parties have the means, of course. If they don't, the wedding couple splits the costs, and adjust their plans to fit their budget. Theoretically.

Where the money for the honeymoon comes from is anyone's guess.
I know what the tradition is. All I'm going by is what have seen with my own eyes. Maybe all my friends parents are poor

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Seriously it is like $150 every 2 weeks to have somebody come by and clean. Cheap and not worth the bickering over chores.
Seriously, they break your stuff, they don't do it right, they don't do it without direction/supervision, you have to organize prior to their coming, etc, etc...it's not as easy as "La la la, someone will magically make your house clean." Why are people so clueless about this?

And by the way, many women resent the idea that the answer to a man not wanting to pony up to his cleaning responsibilities is paying someone out of their joint money to do his job for him. That's pathetic.

And you do understand that some chores need to be done on a daily basis, right?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 PM

322 posts, read 429,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Good grief, if she is "highly accomplished in the medical profession," surely they can afford to hire help instead of bickering over chores!
I know they need his income to have any extra money, which is why she's relenting. I guess between the house and car payments, vacations, kids, doctors, clothes and whatnot, her income is accounted for. As with most people, they probably live near the limit of their means now.

I did get a real kick out of hearing him tell the story. She thought she had him over a barrel. SURPRISE!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Seriously, they break your stuff, they don't do it right, they don't do it without direction/supervision, you have to organize prior to their coming, etc, etc...it's not as easy as "La la la, someone will magically make your house clean." Why are people so clueless about this?

And by the way, many women resent the idea that the answer to a man not wanting to pony up to his cleaning responsibilities is paying someone out of their joint money to do his job for him. That's pathetic.

And you do understand that some chores need to be done on a daily basis, right?
Time is precious and me and my wife don't want to waste our sparse time together cleaning stuff that can easily be done by others,

Most people I know agree. Outside of older family members I can't think of any couple I know that doesn't pay help.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWild View Post
I know they need his income to have any extra money, which is why she's relenting. I guess between the house and car payments, vacations, kids, doctors, clothes and whatnot, her income is accounted for. As with most people, they probably live near the limit of their means now.

I did get a real kick out of hearing him tell the story. She thought she had him over a barrel. SURPRISE!!!
It sounds like a miserable, dysfunctional marriage to me.

Sharing household chores or coming to some agreement about the division of those chores is sensible. Arguing about it constantly is just stupid and unnecessary.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Ladies if you don't want to do chores just stay at your place and don't move in with us. Be happy paying 100% of your bills for the rest of your life. You cook and clean at your place and we will do the same at our place. If guys really want a traditional wife look at marrying international women in general. You can't have it all unless you are rich. You need to weight the pros and cons of your decision of your role when you decide that you want to get married
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships