Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Actually lots more guys would be attracted to her than you'd think. If you counted all the HONEST yes votes (as opposed to the boy cowards who won't admit the sexual desire they are feeling) then she'd come out as 6 or 7.
I can HONESTly say that I would not rate that woman as above average in terms of physical attractiveness.
She may be a fine human being, but I'm not remotely attracted to her physically.

You may be, that's fine. We all have different tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Never had that happen to me, so I honestly cannot say.

I think there's a lot more to it than how you look, though. I want to be attracted to my partner in some way... but I don't expect him to be a GQ model. In fact, I wouldn't WANT to be with anyone that good looking.
Models are a PITA. Trust me on this. (That's right, the males aren't all gay.) The vanity got to me. That, and using my styling products without asking. And his mother. She was a model, herself, and OMG, what a horrible, materialistic, superficial woman she was. I do miss the clothes, though. Had a lot of Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Benetton, and NO! in the 80s.

The other good thing was that it taught me early on that even the drop-dead gorgeous ones burp, fart, pick, and scratch, so a handsome face is nothing to be intimidated by. Not that you are, but a lot of other women are. You'd be surprised how many gorgeous men just don't get approached, or simply aren't players. My ex-husband only had three or four girlfriends before me, and he used to turn heads. Current guy causes swivel-neck, too, but he's Mr. Monogamous, "because I can't deal with more than one of you crazies at a time."

Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Models are a PITA.
All of them? Or the one that you dated?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
All of them? Or the one that you dated?

All the ones I've known. Spent enough time around them to not want to deal with them.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
After reading a number of these posts, too many to read through to the end.

I now understand what I will say when rejecting a man that I am not attracted to in the future.

"Please don't take offense, it's not you, it's me. First impressions are that I am not attracted to you to continue on further with this conversation. I hope the best for what you are seeking but it's not going to be me!"

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
We have that ability and women should learn the ability to see the attractiveness in plain, heavy, balding men too.
Actually, what is considered beautiful by our society and other societies can be tallied up. It has been studied. These characteristics include a symmetrical face, glowing skin, physically fit, and over all healthy appearance.

You can read about it here...

Science Says What's Beautiful | Attractive Faces | Facial Symmetry | LiveScience

The article also notes that women experience greater orgasms or greater number of orgasms with men who exhibit symmetry. So, you're coming from a unique, minority perspective.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
After reading a number of these posts, too many to read through to the end.

I now understand what I will say when rejecting a man that I am not attracted to in the future.

"Please don't take offense, it's not you, it's me. First impressions are that I am not attracted to you to continue on further with this conversation. I hope the best for what you are seeking but it's not going to be me!"
Don't these sites have canned responses? They did back when I used them. If the guy sent me a form letter or made it clear he didn't read my profile, I'd send him one of those, "Thanks, but I don't think we're a good match" or some such.

If he was genuine, I'd just say "I'm flattered that you took the time to write to me, but unfortunately I don't get the sense we'd be a good match. I hope you find that gal who [wants kids/shares your religious faith/loves extreme sports/whatever it was that made me rule him out]."

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Why?
People reject others on looks alllll the time. I'm sure you've rejected women based on looks, but I guess it's okay for you to do that, right?

As for rejecting, when I was on dating sites I used to send a nice 'thanks but no thanks' and got called every name in the book by 'nice' guys. I got so sick of being called rude, lewd and disgusting things, being told I was a fat cow who would die alone etc etc. that I got to the point of just ignoring those I wasn't interested in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think, in general, women are taught to be nice... try not to hurt feelings. So instead of saying, "I don't find you attractive" they make up an excuse to soften the blow like "oh, I am not looking for someone" even if they are... they are looking for someone, but it's not you. They don't want to be mean about it . It's not done to be mean or to "lie" it's an attempt to spare feelings.

It isn't limited to women either. Men do it with inaction... like the man who never calls. He's nice in person and even takes your number. He doesn't bluntly say, "I am not attracted to you, so don't bother giving me your number." He just doesn't call.
So very true. I've experienced this several times. Some men get extremely rude on the online dating sites when you send them the "thank you but no thank you" message that the site offers. By the same token, I've had men write to me that they would rather I not respond to them at all if I'm not interested. Personally, I would prefer the latter for myself also. They owe me nothing. However, I've also had men thank me for getting back to them by a personal short note or the site's standard message. So, it seems to be a toss up. Everyone is different. Some are secure and others are insecure with themselves.

Also, when I meet a guy and don't hear back from him after the first or second date ... or if he has an "excuse" not to see me again should I be the one to ask him out (busy, out of town, doesn't return phone call), I simply assume he's not interested in me, and I feel no need to know his "specific reason." I just don't understand guys (or women) who get so bent out of shape over this.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-20-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
So very true. I've experienced this several times. Some men can get extremely rude on the online dating sites when you send them the "thank you but no thank you" message that the site offers. By the same token, I've had men (online sites) tell me they would rather I not send them any message at all if I'm not interested. Personally, I would prefer that for myself also. They owe me nothing ... I don't even know them.

Also, when I meet a guy and don't hear back from him after the first couple of dates ... or if he has an excuse not to see me again if I should ask him out (busy, out of town, doesn't return phone call), I simply assume he's not interested in me, and I feel no need to know his "specific reason." I just don't understand guys (or women) who get so bent out of shape over this ... unless they've been strung along over a prolonged period of time.
or

they had proposal brunch set up and she said no....

Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
I doubt they want to avoid hurting my feelings because they'd think up less obvious excuses if they were really so 'kind" and "caring".

Those are girls who want to hurt but simultaneously want to appear (even to themselves) to be caring, sensitive, sweet individuals.
To be frank, I'm not even sure why you think they owe you any "excuse" or explanation. Since they don't owe you anything, they were at least decent enough to reply and give you some reason.

How does it serve you or help you reach your goals in any way, to spend this much energy analyzing and thinking about things like this, and why some people do this or that? They didn't want to date you, so what? Shake it off and go meet one who does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships