Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times

Advertisements

When we got married neither one of us had anything to worry about preserving. So the answer would have be no because I would be entitled to half of whatever we built together. If I had to re-marry at this point in life then yes I would sign a prenup and ask him to sign one as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM

350 posts, read 383,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It would depend on how he broached the subject and what his situation is. An established guy with significant assets or children from a previous marriage would of course want to protect those assets. An insecure guy who just didn't want me to get "half his stuff" probably wouldn't make it to the marriage point with me anyway.
I agree with this.

A fair prenup when one party or both are established might be that each party leaves with what they came to the marriage with, but everything they earn during the marriage is a 50--50 proposition.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM

504 posts, read 852,584 times
It would have been me doing the asking, as I was the one coming into the marriage with assets (house). The thought of a pre-nup didn't even cross my mind, but he most likely wouldn't have had an issue with it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Prenup issue again?

Some are willing, and some are not. I think it often depends on the circumstances surrounding it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
There was an episode of Two And A Half Men where the mother (Evelyn Harper) was planning to marry a very wealthy guy Teddy (played by Robert Wagner).

Teddy said they didn't need a prenup because they were so in love.

Evelyn didn't care about the prenup even though she had plenty of her own money.

Turns out, Teddy was lying about his wealth in order to marry Evelyn without the prenup, so he would then get half of her money. He was running a scam. He just pretended to be wealthy.

Although it was just a TV show, it gives people reason to think.

I wouldn't recommend anyone with any serious money marry without a prenup.

Paul McCartney's 2nd marriage almost caused him to lose half his Beatles fortune in the divorce since he didn't have a prenup. He ended up paying Heather Mills $35 million in the divorce after a 5 year marriage.

In Paul's 3rd marriage, he had new wife Nancy Shevell sign an agreement not to go after his children's trust funds. Shevell is very wealthy herself.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
What if you are in your 20's and dont have a lot of money currently, but have the potential to earn a lot of money in the future?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM

307 posts, read 631,082 times
I wouldn't have had a problem signing a prenup, depending on what it said. I am making the assumption that it would have been something reasonable and not something designed to take all my premarital assets if the marriage didn't work out. I chose not to ask for one even though I had most of the assets when we married. I was confident that I knew who he was and how he handled his finances, and so far have been proven right. At this point our savings have grown enough so that if something happened, I would still come out of the marriage with at least what I brought.

I think that a prenup is very much needed for families with children from previous relationships, business partnerships or family businesses with shared ownership.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
What if you are in your 20's and dont have a lot of money currently, but have the potential to earn a lot of money in the future?
If you're getting married, you're joining lives with someone and sharing what you earn. If someone is so protective that they want to keep money they don't have yet from their spouse, perhaps marriage shouldn't be on the table for them.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you're getting married, you're joining lives with someone and sharing what you earn. If someone is so protective that they want to keep money they don't have yet from their spouse, perhaps marriage shouldn't be on the table for them.
I'm speaking of both career and family inheritance. Would you consider your spouse completely entitled to your parents earnings/properties/investment they left you as their child?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM

307 posts, read 631,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I think in that scenario it would kind of defeat the purpose of getting married and building your future lives together. I can understand wanting to preserve what you have earned before marriage, but why would you want to marry someone if you feel the need to protect your marital income from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships