Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yeah who doesn't look at their genetic dna make up chain?
Me, for one.

And it's 'curb' not 'curve' your potty mouth. [/grammar nazi]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Me, for one.

And it's 'curb' not 'curve' your potty mouth. [/grammar nazi]
Thank you ol' wise one.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,220 times
The best why I could define a true lady is by describing a girl who attends my high school where I am a senior. You may remember that I wrote about her in my previous threads. I have liked her since freshmen year and despite the fact that she does not return these feelings I would never consider anyone else.

There are many reasons that I feel this way. To begin with she acts about ten times more mature than all of her contemporaries at my school. She is also very polite; she does not use the foul language that many girls choose to make a part of their vocabulary. Instead she responds with the greatest courtesy I have ever seen in a girl her age. I might add that she is the only teenage girl I have ever heard respond to a question by saying; “pardon?” rather than, “yah?” or “what?” which seems to be the customary response among most girls her age.

Additionally her overall attitude and appearance further define what a real lady is. She is very soft spoken, and does not scream or yell down the hallways as many girls do. Her appearance is very conservative; she is one of the only girls in the school who chooses to not wear makeup. Of course she can get away with it, because she does not need any artificial additives to enhance her great natural beauty which is both internal and external.

Finally, she is an excellent student. She excels in all areas of school, and is a member of both NHS and Mu Alpha Theta. Her intelligence is exhibited not only by her intellectual ability, but by the great maturity she exhibits. For someone eighteen years old she is much more mature than many women twice her age.

For me, she is what truly defines a “lady”. This is why I would never consider dating any other women. People like her, are few and far between. She is one of the few ;”ladies” of my generation that has ignored the negative influences of the times we live in.

Last edited by Jay Watson; 03-12-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Genetic DNA make up chain? Pretty sure that's called a chromosome. Pretty sure that was covered in sixth grade. America is effing doomed.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
The best why I could define a true lady is by describing a girl who attends my high school where I am a senior. You may remember that I wrote about her in my previous threads. I have liked her since freshmen year and despite the fact that she does not return these feelings I would never consider anyone else.

There are many reasons that I feel this way. To begin with she acts about ten times more mature than all of her contemporaries at my school. She also very polite; she does not use the foul language that many girls choose make a part of their vocabulary. Instead she responds with the greatest courtesy I have ever seen in a girl her age. I might add that she is the only teenage girl I have ever heard respond to a question by saying; “pardon?†rather than, “yah?†or “what?†which seems to be the customary response among most girls her age.

Additionally her overall attitude and appearance further define what a real lady is. She is very soft spoken, and does not scream or yell down the hallways as many girls do. Her appearance is very conservative; she is one of the only girls in the school who chooses to not wear makeup. Of course she can get with it, because she does not need any artificial additives to enhance her great natural beauty which is both internal and external.Finally, she is an excellent student. She excels in all areas of school, and is a member of both NHS and Mu Alpha Theta. Her intelligence is exhibited not only by her intellectual ability, but by the great maturity she exhibits. For someone eighteen years old she is much more mature than many women twice her age.

For me, she is what truly defines a “ladyâ€. This is why I would never consider dating any other women. People like her, are few and far between. She is one of the few ;â€ladies†of my generation that has ignored the influence of the times we live in.

She sounds like a nice gal in public but I wonder how she is outside of school and since you have already stated that she does not return your "feelings" yet you will not consider dating anyone else, you are going to live a very lonely life.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 AM

597 posts, read 1,147,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
She sounds like a nice gal in public but I wonder how she is outside of school and since you have already stated that she does not return your "feelings" yet you will not consider dating anyone else, you are going to live a very lonely life.
From what I hear, she is very nice to others in public, both in and out of school.

She simply does not like me, however my unrequitted love situation was previously discussed in my thread. I will not go into it here.

Back to the original topic. I am not the only one who recognizes that she is a true lady, she is actually known as one of the; "nicest" girls in the school. To respond to your statement of: "you are going to live a very lonely life", these reasons describe why I am willing to remain single if she does not change her mind. Hopefully, eventually she will......

I might mention that I thought this topic was a very good idea for a thread. I look forward to reading what others have to say.

Last edited by Jay Watson; 03-12-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
From what I hear, she is very nice to others in public.

She simply does not like me, however my unrequitted love situation was previously discussed in my thread. I will not go into it here.

Back to the original topic. I am not the only one who recognizes that she is a true lady, she is actually known as one of the; "nicest" girls in the school. To respond to your statement of: "you are going to live a very lonely life", these reasons describe why I am willing to remain single if she does not change her mind. Hopefully, eventually she will......

I might mention that I thought this topic was a very good idea for a thread. I look forward to reading what others have to say.

Good luck with that....

Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
IMO a lady (in the positive sense) is a woman who wields her feminine power for good, with interpretation of "good" being subjective but usually indicating good manners. But there are are also negative uses of the term - e.g. The stranger yelling, "Hey Lady!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post

For instance on social gatherings and family reunion after finishing a plate, if asked ''Do you want some more'' while I always said ''Yes, sure (one time my aunt was like ''Take this whole bowl if you want to'' and I took it) my mother replies ''No thanks'' (even if she would want some more). Or if there are lots of chicken on a bowl, if I see a large piece then I'll take that one. My mother and other female members tend to go for either the smallest or median sized one. Oh well, if I'm invited and they're offering me free food (as long as I'm not taking away other people's plates), I don't see what's wrong.
Yes, that particular example of going in for the free food/biggest piece of chicken seems unladylike to me, for a man it would seem ungentlemanly.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
A lady ?
I don't know, but that term kind of turns me off.
Personally, I don't want a lady, I want a woman.
To me, a lady is defined by 1950's movies and old fashioned and extremely outdated ideals. I don't want a lady who laughs at my bad jokes, tells me how wonderful I am when I'm not, and ignores her wants and needs in a relationship 'to please a man.' Forget all that junk.
Be my equal. Laugh at my good jokes, tell me when my jokes are bad, compliment me when I deserve it, and put me in my place when deserved.
Relationships based on Leave it to Beaver Susie homemaker don't work for my generation.
You want independence, and equality? Awesome! Then be my equal. I would rather have it that way anyhow.

Oh, and since I cook, clean, and take care of myself, I expect you to as well. I am amazed at how many women don't actually cook these days. When did cooking become an optional skill? (Men are guilty of this as well, but I'm not dating men, so I don't know how many actually cook)

Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
A lady ?
I don't know, but that term kind of turns me off.
Personally, I don't want a lady, I want a woman.
To me, a lady is defined by 1950's movies and old fashioned and extremely outdated ideals. I don't want a lady who laughs at my bad jokes, tells me how wonderful I am when I'm not, and ignores her wants and needs in a relationship 'to please a man.' Forget all that junk.
Be my equal. Laugh at my good jokes, tell me when my jokes are bad, compliment me when I deserve it, and put me in my place when deserved.
Relationships based on Leave it to Beaver Susie homemaker don't work for my generation.
You want independence, and equality? Awesome! Then be my equal. I would rather have it that way anyhow.

Oh, and since I cook, clean, and take care of myself, I expect you to as well. I am amazed at how many women don't actually cook these days. When did cooking become an optional skill? (Men are guilty of this as well, but I'm not dating men, so I don't know how many actually cook)
I think one may still be a lady and be a complete equal, though I know the term has some negative connotation. I think it is the female equivalent of "gentleman." I think there can be both a "lady" and a "gentleman" in a relationship with equal power.

I think when some women seek to hide (rather than embrace) their natural femininity, they are ultimately giving up something very powerful in order to compete "like a man." There are still natural differences between men and women, beyond societal gender roles, that can be leveraged for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships