Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
First...define "player".
A player is a man who secretly dates multiple women in whom he has little or no emotional investment, mainly for the purposes of ego gratification and to impress his male peers. Players tend to look at dating not as a search for companionship, but as a predator/prey interaction. Most players actually hate women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
A player is a man who secretly dates multiple women in whom he has little or no emotional investment, mainly for the purposes of ego gratification and to impress his male peers. Players tend to look at dating not as a search for companionship, but as a predator/prey interaction. Most players actually hate women.
How can it "impress his male peers" if it's done "secretly"?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,065,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
How can it "impress his male peers" if it's done "secretly"?
I think he means the women are secrets from each other.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I think he means the women are secrets from each other.
Just continuing to point out that everyone appears to have their own definition of the word "player" with the only common denominator being, "person who is attractive to multiple partners." Whether it's secret, or involves lying, or is done to impress, etc., is really neither here nor there. Time to drop this silly word.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
Quote:
Just continuing to point out that everyone appears to have their own definition of the word "player" with the only common denominator being, "person who is attractive to multiple partners." Whether it's secret, or involves lying, or is done to impress, etc., is really neither here nor there. Time to drop this silly word.
I agree with your definition and it mirrors mine. I do get a kick out of the negative connotations many posters want to assign to the concept of being a player, considering our society rewards players in many great ways. OPretty much every guy in his 20s and 30s, would like to be a player, because women fall for players like there is no tomorrow and once you have several women interested, it takes very little to no effort to attract more. Remember, a male virgin is an equal of female **** in our societies eyes.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I do get a kick out of the negative connotations many posters want to assign to the concept of being a player
I get a kick out of it because nobody who knows me has ever called me a player to the best of my knowledge, but I fit the definition that often gets thrown around on this forum, as do a large portion of the single guys I've known. Many of the single women I've known, too, for that matter.

It's called dating, people. It's what desirable single people do. Sometimes it involves multiple people, and sometimes people get hurt. That's how it works.

Last edited by Plzeň; 03-14-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
I get a kick out of it because nobody who knows me has ever called me a player to the best of my knowledge, but I fit the definition that often gets thrown around on this forum, as do a large portion of the single guys I've known.
Same here.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,494 times
Well, if dating multiple people at once makes one a player, it's hardly a damning definition. Plenty of women do that too. It's just the nature of modern dating - everyone's rushing about, always busy, so if you keep all your eggs in one basket or only date one person at a time, it's going to be an awful long time before you find something stable. People flake, disappear, cancel, grandmother got run over, turn out to have someone else, just aren't interested anymore - etc. The only time I'd have any ethical objections would be if a couple, after going out for a while, agreed to be exclusive, and one of the couple still sees people on the side. That would be manipulative and unethical in my book.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well, if dating multiple people at once makes one a player, it's hardly a damning definition. Plenty of women do that too. It's just the nature of modern dating - everyone's rushing about, always busy, so if you keep all your eggs in one basket or only date one person at a time, it's going to be an awful long time before you find something stable.
To me, the difference is that a player "plays" people (duh, hence the name.) Each woman thinks she's exclusive, and she's the only one in his life. There's an element of deception involved that's more than just playing the field.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,065,818 times
Quote:
I get a kick out of it because nobody who knows me has ever called me a player to the best of my knowledge, but I fit the definition that often gets thrown around on this forum, as do a large portion of the single guys I've known. Many of the single women I've known, too, for that matter.

It's called dating, people. It's what desirable single people do. Sometimes it involves multiple people, and sometimes people get hurt. That's how it works.
Agree with this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships