Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

people may not gravitate to certain partners but actually thats who they are around often enough to end up dating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Being more highly educated may or may not correlate to higher paying jobs. It really depends on what one's profession is. The auto mechanic I dated, who had a two-year trade school certification and various additional professional certs made bank compared to what I made in print journalism OR education, and I went to school longer than he did. People do make their career choices based on criteria involving more than just the paycheck, in various cases.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I noticed this too and I think could be discouraging for some people to come forth and admit they've been with SO's that had lower paying or unremarkable jobs after seeing so many highly educated and upper level professional positions. I agree with monument us that the occupation itself isn't what makes a person better or worse in ttheir regard to the quality of the person.

I've had a few SO's but will only comment on the current......she's an LPN. There's been an uptick lately at her job with internal political drama and she's not happy so I suggested she quit,go back to school and become an RN.
It shouldn't be discouraging. I have a little of both going on in my list a few pages back. I had one with a PhD in Psychology who also had a law degree and he was just awful. I was married to a truck driver and he was also just awful.

The others were ok. My sweetie is blue collar and i love him just the way he is! While I do not know the income of the scientist I dated, amongst the others, my current SO has had the highest income. That doesn't really matter to me, because neither does money.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
I noticed this too and I think could be discouraging for some people to come forth and admit they've been with SO's that had lower paying or unremarkable jobs after seeing so many highly educated and upper level professional positions. I agree with monument us that the occupation itself isn't what makes a person better or worse in ttheir regard to the quality of the person.

I've had a few SO's but will only comment on the current......she's an LPN. There's been an uptick lately at her job with internal political drama and she's not happy so I suggested she quit,go back to school and become an RN.
Eh. The only two guys I've seriously dated were in low paying retail positions with no formal education. I've never seriously dated anyone who was 'educated', or even graduated from college. Although, I'm friends with men who are engineers, lawyers, doctors and I'm going to dinner tomorrow night with a guy friend who is a VP at an insurance company. Dudes love being friends with me, but no dating

Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
One model, one computer IT sales guy, one perpetual student who is now a high school science teacher (that would be my ex-husband), and the rest were assorted military or law enforcement, including Feds.

So be nice to me. I'm connected.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:

I've learned that degrees/education, nor a title/specific career is an indicator of intelligence, income/net worth or personality.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've learned that degrees/education, nor a title/specific career is an indicator of intelligence, income/net worth or personality.
Bugger... that's me up the swanny then..

Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
people may not gravitate to certain partners but actually thats who they are around often enough to end up dating

Exactly.

A woman in the DC area who has never been approached by military or G men either looks like a hippie, has never been to a bar downtown, or has a face like a bulldog, because sooner or later you're going to come across one or the other. Whether you go out with them when they ask is up to you, but in an area so saturated, expecting to avoid them is like going to happy hour on Chambers Street in New York and expecting not to run into someone in finance.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Bugger... that's me up the swanny then..

Oops that's supposed to read is not an indicator.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Oops that's supposed to read is not an indicator.
LOL... I was about to respond to you (nicely) that I have the complete opposite view. Glad you corrected that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships