Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Skid marks (guys), ketchup oopsies (girls)…let’s just all do our own laundry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Oh gracious those are the grossest things to have to look at aren't they? It's like didn't your momma ever teach you to wipe your *** correctly?
Oh my goodness!!! Okay...I've never had to wash skid marks out of his drawers...thankfully he either knows how to wipe his ass, or knows to toss them straight in the trash. I don't care which is it, so long as I never see it.

I've also never tossed a pair of undies in the laundry that had an "oops" on it from my period. Those go in the trash as well. I've got a drawer full and they are cheap enough to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
If you can't share the bathroom? Don't even bother.

Some of the guys I know who are married have a piece of the bathroom and they sometimes have to share that fraction.

Don't even talk about the bedroom, nor the diningroom, livingroom or kitchen. They all belong to her. In this case the "whats yours is hers and whats hers is hers" rule may apply here.

The garage is all yours and maybe a chunk of the basement.

If there's a storage in the apartment? Get it before she does.
Yup...pretty much describes our house. However, he doesn't really care either. When it's time to buy furniture he tells me to go pick something out. He hates the process, doesn't care what color I paint..etc. So long as he doesn't have to deal with the decisions, he's fine with whatever I choose.

I wouldn't live with someone if I was not married to them though. I have no desire to share living space with someone I don't want to share my life with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
We met, we dated, we fell in love, we had a child, we moved in together, we married... 21yrs and 2 more children later so far so good.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
I don't get this. When my husband said we are over. The second he said that, I got up and pack ALL my things. Maybe I am just too proud. But I can't fathom NOT leaving right away when the other person has said it is OVER. It is his house. But if it's MY house, I hope he does the same - leave, ASAP.

Now, if it is OUR house, like paying for it equally then of course I won't leave.
As someone who was in this position, all I can say is that it depends on the circumstances.

I was the person who had the person who owned the house come home one day and say he was done, and it took me a couple of weeks to find a new place, get my things moved, get things squared away. In an ideal world, I would have packed my things and vanished that night...I certainly wanted to. I am proud, too, and didn't want to stay in his house a second longer than I had to. BUT, walking out on the spot wasn't an option. I moved to our city for him...I had no family closer than 500 miles away, and realistically, nowhere to go. I have friends, but nobody close enough that I'd have been comfortable prevailing upon them for a temporary place to live. Realistically, it was going to take me a couple of weeks to find a new home, and line up the resources needed to move my life out of his house.

Trust me...I would have preferred to snap my fingers, be gone, and never have had to see him again. Had I family in the area, I'd have gone and stayed with them, and had one of them go and move my things out. I didn't stay on because I wanted to, I stayed on because I literally had nowhere to go until I could get into my own apartment.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
For women, it's a great way to be strung along by someone who doesn't want to commit. I don't recommend it.
Not all women want to commit either so...

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Not all women want to commit either so...
.... so what? Since "not all women want to commit" negates the notion? Fail.

Men use living together as a way to have a wife without having the legal obligation as a wife. And most women fall for it. Stupid. My brothers have told me the same thing. There's no reason to "make a commitment" when she's already in the home performing the role.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

Men use living together as a way to have a wife without having the legal obligation as a wife. And most women fall for it. Stupid. My brothers have told me the same thing. There's no reason to "make a commitment" when she's already in the home performing the role.
That wasn't the case for me or any of my friends. I'm sure it happens but I do not believe that all men do this.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That wasn't the case for me or any of my friends. I'm sure it happens but I do not believe that all men do this.
They most certainly do not. I could make anecdotal statements, as i'm sure could you, but what's the point, people will either believe this to be the case Dewdrop or they wont.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

i didn't say it negates the notion, you said that

and some men do some men don't.. stop make generalizations. #fail

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I wouldn't live with someone if I was not married to them though. I have no desire to share living space with someone I don't want to share my life with.
Agreed. As much as I am not interested in living together, I am even LESS interested in living together not married.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Honestly, I think age has a lot to do with it. If you are in your 20's or early 30's - it's probably not as hard as when you are in your 40's or older. It's a lot easier to make the adjustment to living with someone else when you haven't been on your own for that long. Before I moved in with my husband back when we were dating - I had never lived by myself. I had always had roommates. It didn't take much adjusting at all to get used to living with my husband - in fact, we loved it. But I have friends and my mom has friends who were divorced or widowed for a long time and then remarried - and moving in with their new spouses after living on their own for so long was very trying.
I agree. I'm settled. I have my own house with a beautiful yard and I have worked hard to get things the way that I want them. The furnishings in my home are the result of many, many years of hard work, and I still have things I want to do inside. I have great neighbors, and I love the area and my short, traffic-free commute to work. I'm as happy as a person could possibly be, right here. And my BF knows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships