Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,693,943 times

Advertisements

While bored at work yesterday, I took an online myers Briggs personality test. I scored as an ISTP. An unusual personality type in women, as it turns out. One of the traits of an ISTPis that they don't like commitment, view commitments as something fluid. In fact I have read a quote in a lot of places, that when an ISTP says "I do" they really "I do for now".

It recently occurred to me that I have not had a relationship go past 3/4 months since I met my ex in1999. Maybe this personality typing is accurate and I am a commitment phobe! Does anyone know of any female ones? What's the deal with this? I wonder if I should try to change, or simply accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,342,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I scored as an ISTP.

Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing (Official Video) - YouTube

Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM

52,386 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Well, you being an old broad in her 40's , I'd probably work on accepting it, but if the opportunity arises and you wish to be in a monogamous relationship for an extended time... go for it.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, you being an old broad in her 40's , I'd probably work on accepting it, but if the opportunity arises and you wish to be in a monogamous relationship for an extended time... go for it.
Yeah its interesting, I was telling someone about my recent break up and he remarked, "you know, it seems like you don't care. Like you don't care at all." And I realized that I didn't. Maybe I'm just not cut out for these things and should just find a good FWB and call it a day.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:01 PM

936 posts, read 2,064,462 times
Quote:
While bored at work yesterday, I took an online myers Briggs personality test. I scored as an ISTP. An unusual personality type in women, as it turns out. One of the traits of an ISTPis that they don't like commitment, view commitments as something fluid. In fact I have read a quote in a lot of places, that when an ISTP says "I do" they really "I do for now".

It recently occurred to me that I have not had a relationship go past 3/4 months since I met my ex in1999. Maybe this personality typing is accurate and I am a commitment phobe! Does anyone know of any female ones? What's the deal with this? I wonder if I should try to change, or simply accept it.
"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune, often the surfeit of our own behaviour, we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars". You're not a commitmentphobe because of an MBTI personality type. Your type score may be the result of your being afraid of commitment, but not the converse.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,342,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune, often the surfeit of our own behaviour, we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars". You're not a commitmentphobe because of an MBTI personality type. Your type score may be the result of your being afraid of commitment, but not the converse.
The OP did not claim that she was a commitmentphobe as a result of the test. She only claimed that the test may be accurate.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM

39,331 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:

I am exactly like you.
I've loved perhaps three men in my entire life (I am in my late 20s). I've dated too many men and I appreciate every single one of them because obviously, they are my learning experiences. I have never slept around and my sex partners have always been my boyfriends. However, commitment is a no no to me. I cannot picture myself being other people's wife or mother.

I think the ISTP test fits me as well, when I say "I do", I definitely mean "I do for now." Life is unpredictable at best. I cannot even committed to a long term cell phone contract.

I bring this up to a man I found online and he told me "Girls like you perhaps will break a lot of hearts." Come to think of it, I have never cheated on anybody and I don't plan on cheating on anybody. I have always been honest with everybody I dated, short term or long term, but I think after a while, men really want me to commit to them. I simply can not.

When I look at my friends' relationships. Some of them are very happy in a committed relationship, some of them stay in the relationship simply because they are afraid of being alone. Some of them cheat on each other and have absolutely no courage to walk out of the relationship. I guess different people have different path in life.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah its interesting, I was telling someone about my recent break up and he remarked, "you know, it seems like you don't care. Like you don't care at all." And I realized that I didn't. Maybe I'm just not cut out for these things and should just find a good FWB and call it a day.
You might not be cut out for it, or care, but I don't mean this to be a smart ass, but what is it in you that is questioning yourself... maybe on some level, you must want a LTR???

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You might not be cut out for it, or care, but I don't mean this to be a smart ass, but what is it in you that is questioning yourself... maybe on some level, you must want a LTR???

Well I have always said I want an ltr, and I really mean i. But maybe I don't mean it after all. I have no idea.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Well I have always said I want an ltr, and I really mean i. But maybe I don't mean it after all. I have no idea.
Yeah, some more introspection, perhaps.

I personally wouldn't want to be single. I just prefers to have someone in my life.

But to each their own, as they say.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships