Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM

296 posts, read 571,781 times

Advertisements

I understand because of an increase focus on work and higher education, many of us might feel like our youth has passed us by. However, I have always believed that you can't rewind to the past. It seems that many of the professionals (or "young professionals") that I meet in their 30s can't stop acting like they are 25. It seems like a huge departure from my parent's generation and the one before theirs. I don't mean to sound old, but as someone who is 38 I don't feel like hitting the best clubs and lounges anymore. Am I just noticing an outlier or is this common with people in their 30s nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Maybe you could explain the vast difference you believe exists in the behavior of 25 year olds and "in their 30" year olds. I've never felt there's any correlation between age and "hitting the best clubs and lounges" and don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM

227 posts, read 420,712 times
One of the startling trend I see is with men in their 30s being emotionally and mentally immature. The Peter Pan Syndrome is no joke. It boggles my mind!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
I understand because of an increase focus on work and higher education, many of us might feel like our youth has passed us by. However, I have always believed that you can't rewind to the past. It seems that many of the professionals (or "young professionals") that I meet in their 30s can't stop acting like they are 25. It seems like a huge departure from my parent's generation and the one before theirs. I don't mean to sound old, but as someone who is 38 I don't feel like hitting the best clubs and lounges anymore. Am I just noticing an outlier or is this common with people in their 30s nowadays?
Unless it's hurting you why do you give a damn?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I'll be 30 fairly soon here, and while it's not a common occurrence, I do like getting dressed up and drinking in a club/bar every once in a while. I'm sure people see me and make all kinds of assumptions, but that's not really my problem now is it?

I was in nyc this past week and yeah, I went out wearing sky high heels and a cute dress and drank/hung out with some pretty awesome people we met along the way..but that doesn't mean I don't take things seriously and act like a 25 year old all the time. Sometimes, you just want to let loose and have some fun.

Everything in moderation

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Just wondering...just how DOES a 25 year old act? And how is the way they act supposed to be so different from a 30 year old?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Some act more mature than others. Those nightspots (bars, clubs, lounges, etc) are where people go on weekends and to relax. If you want to meet people, that's one place to start.

You can't change how they act. I don't necessarily think all people act younger than they are. As others said, just b/c someone patronizes such an establishment doesn't mean they're immature. Even if they're a little tipsy or acting a little goofy, it doesn't mean they haven't matured; they're just having fun.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
why the rush to grow up? i can understand someone in their 30s leaving their young kids at home on their own on a friday/saturday night and getting hammered being labeled as immature, but the fact is, if you're in a major city, there's going to be a substantial number of ppl in their 30s that are still unmarried and looking, or have gotten married, divorced and back on the market. should these ppl just stay at home on the weekends, because if they went out ppl would think they're "immature" or "not acting their age"?

and just how exactly is someone supposed to meet new romantic interests WITHOUT going out, once you get past your mid 20s? significant numbers of your friends (and the general population as well) are either off the market or about to be off the market. sure, there's daytime activities and online dating, but trendy clubs and lounges are still the #1 place outside of a university campus to find a high concentration of attractive men and women that are single.

personally, as someone who is single and soon to be 30, i feel great when i see older ppl out having a good time at clubs and stuff. i would hate to have to sit at home by myself just because i'm now 30.

also, you're forgetting that life expectancy and lifespans have gone up since the time our parents were young. why should you only get a decade or so of enjoyment, with the rest of your life being dedicated to all the "serious" stuff? seems to me like a very dull way to live life.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
I am in my late 30's and am gay and while I do have a guy I am dating I don't have kids so ya I go out and have fun just like I did when I was 25. I do see more musicals now then I did at 25 and I, also, work full time and support my self so I am not exactly how I was when I was 25 as I was in college. If anyone has a problem with that it is their problem not mine. My point is not everyone has to fit in the "stereotype" of what a person should be doing in his or her 30's.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
why the rush to grow up? i can understand someone in their 30s leaving their young kids at home on their own on a friday/saturday night and getting hammered being labeled as immature, but the fact is, if you're in a major city, there's going to be a substantial number of ppl in their 30s that are still unmarried and looking, or have gotten married, divorced and back on the market. should these ppl just stay at home on the weekends, because if they went out ppl would think they're "immature" or "not acting their age"?

and just how exactly is someone supposed to meet new romantic interests WITHOUT going out, once you get past your mid 20s? significant numbers of your friends (and the general population as well) are either off the market or about to be off the market. sure, there's daytime activities and online dating, but trendy clubs and lounges are still the #1 place outside of a university campus to find a high concentration of attractive men and women that are single.

personally, as someone who is single and soon to be 30, i feel great when i see older ppl out having a good time at clubs and stuff. i would hate to have to sit at home by myself just because i'm now 30.

also, you're forgetting that life expectancy and lifespans have gone up since the time our parents were young. why should you only get a decade or so of enjoyment, with the rest of your life being dedicated to all the "serious" stuff? seems to me like a very dull way to live life.
Exactly right. One of my friends says he doesn't go to bars b/c he doesn't like them and I respond by telling him that neither do most people who go to the bars. If you're single and have a day job, you only have so many opportunities to meet new people. Much of that will take place on weekends during the PM at public social places (bars, clubs, lounges, etc.).

People in this age group are further removed from school and may not be too keen on dating co-workers. Amongst relatively limited options, one of the better options is to go to clubs, lounges, bars, etc. It's not a big deal or a knock against them. In many cases, the alternative is to sit home doing nothing (or the same stuff you do all week).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships