Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAnswer123 View Post
She claims to have used twice in the the last 10 years. I'm not sure I'd characterize occasional use (e.g., twice in a decade) as a coke addict. But, I'm absolutely naive because I've never done a drug in my life. I do think it was a mistake and she has opened up to me. She also also opened up that in college she would do it at most one time per month. She also said that she dumped an ex-boyfriend because he was using. She rarely drinks, is a devoted mom, and we otherwise get along very, very well. We communicate about everything else. She said that the reason she did not tell me was because she know I would be judgmental and harsh--she indicated that this is about the only thing she knew I'd be judgmental about so she said she wanted to avoid upsetting me and dealing with the judgment. My biggest point is that I'm shocked and feel a sense of betrayal.

I like the idea about going to counseling, but I'm not sure why folks are saying she's an addict from what I've indicated above?
She's a few years younger than I am. That means she came of age in the 80s, probably a freshman when I was a senior. Cocaine was everywhere in the 80s. I never used it--with my luck I would be the 1 in 200,000 who drops dead of a heart attack the first time they try it--but at my school, it was all over the place, almost as common and accessible as pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I tend to agree with your wife. If you've never done drugs, how can you possibly have any perspective on the issue. I'm not saying that doing coke is healthy because it obviously is not. But there is a major difference between rubbing some on your gums once every 5 years and snorting a line as soon as you wake each morning.

I did a few hard drugs early on in life as did many people I know. We now all have families, college degrees and good, decent paying jobs.
Some of the people I went to school with are lucky I'm not the type to write a memoir naming names, because I could scandalize more than a few attorneys, physicians (including one hospital chief of staff), media people, financial professionals, and politicians for all the blow they did and weed they smoked back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAnswer123 View Post
I too find it concerning that the admission was beating her sister to the punch
Thanks
Because she'd rather it come from her, than from the mouth of her sister, who is an addict and actively using. Addicts who are actively using are notorious for lying. Heaven only knows what someone facing an intervention will say and do to divert attention from themselves and their addictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
One more thing, OP, the way you are responding now to her voluntary disclosure will impact whether or not she'll be more forthcoming in the future.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
She's a few years younger than I am. That means she came of age in the 80s, probably a freshman when I was a senior. Cocaine was everywhere in the 80s. I never used it--with my luck I would be the 1 in 200,000 who drops dead of a heart attack the first time they try it--but at my school, it was all over the place, almost as common and accessible as pot.

Some of the people I went to school with are lucky I'm not the type to write a memoir naming names, because I could scandalize more than a few attorneys, physicians (including one hospital chief of staff), media people, financial professionals, and politicians for all the blow they did and weed they smoked back then.
I'm also a child of the 80's/90's. I remember going to parties with piles of it on tables. One party in Miami - holy sh*t. I could also scandalize a few elected Chicago politicians, businessmen and especially those in finance/trading.... Another problem is this drug can be highly addictive and if she has access to a lot of it (e.g. at the sister's house) she may make the wrong decision to do more when "coming down" and an overdose situation can happen... The OP needs to be communicative, but also a bit watchful with this.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I'm also a child of the 80's/90's. I remember going to parties with piles of it on tables. One party in Miami - holy sh*t. I could also scandalize a few elected Chicago politicians, businessmen and especially those in finance/trading.... Another problem is this drug can be highly addictive and if she has access to a lot of it (e.g. at the sister's house) she may make the wrong decision to do more when "coming down" and an overdose situation can happen... The OP needs to be communicative, but also a bit watchful with this.
Yep. Miami Vice and Wall Street were hits for a reason.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 17,948 times
Well....The sister lives on the west coast, so visits have been infrequent. We lived out there for about three years but then moved to the east coast. That is the good news because the sister does have a tremendous influence on her.

It has only been a week and if I take her for her word, then it was an infrequent mistake. But, I wonder whether she's minimizing use. She did require transplant of tissue for her lower gums, but she said the dentist felt it was from eating too many apples. She's in good shape and generally watches what she eats and does eat an apple or two a day, biting into it with vigor.

It will take me some time, but I would have loved to have had some sort of acknowledgement of my perspective, not a minimization of it that I'm naive and it was not that big of a deal to match my upset. I do feel betrayed but from what others are saying maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know.

But, the posts herein are very helpful (lighten up a bit; move on but be cautious; set up a plan for when getting together with her sister; watch how I respond because it could impact future disclosure).

Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,534,870 times
Im sorry buy you need to lighten up. She has tried cocaine twice in 10 years??? She is hardly a drug addict. Hey, i had a glass of whisky yesterday, does that mean im an alcoholic? Cause last time i checked i drink less than once a month!

You need to relax about this. This doesnt mean anything, dont strees about stupid things like this, life already haves some serious kicks in store for all of us to be stressing for such unimportant things.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
So she admits to rubbing coke on her teeth, which we all know causes gum disease. And she had tissue damage to her gums?? This isn't looking good.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 17,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
So she admits to rubbing coke on her teeth, which we all know causes gum disease. And she had tissue damage to her gums?? This isn't looking good.
It makes me wonder, but all other aspects of her teeth and gums are near perfect.

In the end, I need to stop obsessing, but it is fresh.

I do suspect she did it only when she was with her sister which has been about 10 times over the past ten years. But, it may not have been every time. Time for me to move on, but still be cautious, I suppose. Still shocking to me.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
The gum thing is weird - could be an indicator of drug use or just bad brushing. Does she leave you for long periods of time where you do not have contact with her? You would likely notice if she is on coke in your presence, it is hard to conceal the agitation from a spouse.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM

307 posts, read 631,267 times
It is good that her sister lives so far away. I would recommend that you go with her as a couple when she visits in the future. That would limit the opportunity to give in to temptation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships