Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Said I looked like a librarian.
What's wrong with that? I'm a librarian...

If this were a first date, you'd be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
... The story had grown over the course of a few years, because her brother told me that he had heard that I pulled a wheelie and that is why she fell off, not that she fell off at a stop sign.
That's hilarious. I had a guy pick me up on a motorcycle once and he proceeded to give me all kinds of instructions on what to do. Who knew it was so difficult to ride on the back of a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I did think about offering to introduce him to my mom.
I once got the, "my mom does that, too" comment. That was the end of that. Comparing me to your mom doesn't do much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, this one reminds me of another keeper. First date (online) and he asked me what I did for a living, then I asked him. He said he 'takes tasteful nude photos of girls in his garage and then pastes celebrities heads on them to send to the troops overseas.' I still have no idea why that's a thing.
Hilarious. I completely understand how that's "a thing," actually, but I don't understand how he makes a living doing it, especially in the internet age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Meeting people in a forest preserve just sounds like you're saying 'Yeah, go ahead and rape/murder me, I'll meet you in a place where it'll be easy to hide the body!'

Nope, only public places for me, and I won't get in a guys car until I know him better.
"Forest preserves" in the Chicago area (which is where Idon'tdateyou lives, according to her profile) are what people in most places would just call large-ish parks. (I found the terminology odd when I moved here.) They tend to be surrounded by residential and commercial suburban areas. They're not remote wilderness areas like national parks or something. You wouldn't want to meet somebody in an isolated part of one at night or anything, but on a nice day at a popular one it wouldn't be much more unusual than meeting someone at Central Park in NYC or any other large park in a populated area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When we go dutch on the first date.
Meh...That's fairly common in my demographic. Perhaps less so in more traditional places/generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
When we sit down to eat she says "I got so excited when I heard you were getting divorced."
I've never been married, let alone divorced, but I would think I would take that as a compliment if she were someone I was attracted to! She's basically just saying she's had a thing for you and is happy you're available now, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
When she doesn't eat anything at the restaurant and has only water.

[eat something!!]
I hate this one. I understand if you're a vegan or health nut and we're at a bar that only serves burgers, but assuming we've agreed to meet at a certain restaurant for a meal, and they have a reasonable range of food options, when you don't eat anything you're basically advertising that you have an eating disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg323 View Post
When she weighs 50 pounds more than in her pictures.
Yep...Anyone who has changed so much physically (whether it be weight, age, or whatever) that they look like a completely different person than they did in any of their pictures, is just begging to not have a second date. I don't even know why they bother with the first date if they're going to do that.

Last edited by Plzeň; 05-18-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
I sometimes meet online dates at a park, though not a forested one. The kind with little kids and swings. Yes, I am careful.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
But the worst was the guy whose ad said he was 40 and, when he showed up, looked at least 55.

I tried to make polite convo for a bit. When I was leaving he suggested a place for a second date. I allowed the surprise I felt to show on my face. Really, dude?
Had a few of those and it drives me nuts when men lie about age. I never lied about anything so why they did made no sense.

Then there were the sex men. I call them this because they only wanted sex and let it be known (after convincing me they wanted more). One guy after meeting said "so wanna go back and f---?". Yep that blunt. Another kept telling me about his tongue and well you can guess where that went. I have no problem with people that just want sex but don't tell women you want a relationship, look for women who want no strings.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Save that for a few dates in. Unless we are already friends/acquaintances there is no way I going out to the woods alone with you for multiple hours.
in the early days of aol..and chatrooms, i got chummy with a few ladies- one actually flew up here from d.c.
for a weekend- we went to a few lighthouses, had a fantastic time..she spent one night here- she told me no one knew where she was- she couldnt be honest with them(family, friends)...(quite the stigma meeting anyone over the internet back then)
I asked her if she ever did anything like this before-she said-no way!

I did meet one fine lady at a state park- we had the only two cars in the parking lot-she had no problem,,,hiking and going on a picnic....
it was weird,,,no one around for miles,,,,we are in the great northen woods-huge area nothing but trees..
we hike to a scenic location beside a stream,,,,eating our sandwiches,,,and these good size rocks,,,come flying at us from the woods..
of course i start hollaring,,,throwing a few rocks back,,,, (actually im wishing i had my shotgun)
then dead silence,,,then loud knocking,,,and more rocks- whatever chucked them rocks were either huge,,or someone had a rock launcher- we got out of there-ran back to the car

Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
He later got stoned
I've been on dates with two different women who were clearly stoned when I picked them up. Both eventually admitted to it. I totally understand if you're nervous about a date and want to have a toke (or a drink, for that matter) ahead of time to take the edge off, if that's your thing, but when you're at the point where I can't even have a rational conversation with you at the beginning of the date, there's no point in having the date.

Quote:
2. Met guy and he started to critique my looks and how I should do this and that. If he didn't like me fine but don't tell me to change.
These are guys who are basically trolling for insecure women or women who are used to the victim role. Believe it or not, some women will respond positively to that. When that happens, they know they've found someone they can control or even abuse. Healthy women (like you, apparently) will run away from it, of course, so it's an effective screening tool for them. It's right out of the PUA playbook, but I think some abusive men do it so automatically that they're not even consciously aware of it. In many cases that's how they saw their parents interact when they were growing up, so they think that's how a relationship should work.

Quote:
5. One guy started on a racist rant about biracial kids. I have a biracial niece and racism won't work in my family.
Any hint of racism or homophobia on a first date for me means no second date. It used to happen more often to me when I lived in a more conservative area and had fewer dating options, but it still happens now and then. It's usually far more subtle than a "rant," though. For me it's not even about whether it would work in my family, it's just a very basic indicator of poor character, low education level, and lack of openness to the world.

Great post.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
What about after he calls you by another girls name while making love? True story
That's why you're supposed to call her "baby" during sex. Using names is risky.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Uncomfortable long silences, (Not the short ones while we decide what to say)
Someone texting/facebooking nonstop.
Date gets drunk and falls over.
An ex shows up to join the dinner.
Too many deeply personal questions-Or provided information by the other party.
Date is an ego maniac.
Date no-shows.
Date is featured on America's most wanted on a TV screen while on the date.

I have only experienced 5 of these things.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I asked how it was different. He said, 'Because you are a grown women.' I have no idea what that meant.
It means you're an adult, and not a 12-year-old. I completely understand why you wanted to wait until you knew him better, and I think he was a jerk for arguing with you about it, but surely you see the difference between you as an adult women and his 10-year-old daughter in a couple of years.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I've been on dates with two different women who were clearly stoned when I picked them up. Both eventually admitted to it. I totally understand if you're nervous about a date and want to have a toke (or a drink, for that matter) ahead of time to take the edge off, if that's your thing, but when you're at the point where I can't even have a rational conversation with you at the beginning of the date, there's no point in having the date.
If he was stoned as in laid back it wouldn't have bothered me but when he got stoned during the date (yes he went outside to smoke a joint)it creeped me out. However it gives me a story to tell about worst first dates ever.

Quote:
These are guys who are basically trolling for insecure women or women who are used to the victim role. Believe it or not, some women will respond positively to that. When that happens, they know they've found someone they can control or even abuse. Healthy women (like you, apparently) will run away from it, of course, so it's an effective screening tool for them. It's right out of the PUA playbook, but I think some abusive men do it so automatically that they're not even consciously aware of it. In many cases that's how they saw their parents interact when they were growing up, so they think that's how a relationship should work.
It was weird but it helped me realize he was someone I couldn't be with because it would get worse. Earlier in life before this happened I did date two emotionally abusive men who did this (though first date they were lovey dovey)so I am able to see signs pretty quick.

Quote:
Any hint of racism or homophobia on a first date for me means no second date. It used to happen more often to me when I lived in a more conservative area and had fewer dating options, but it still happens now and then. It's usually far more subtle than a "rant," though. For me it's not even about whether it would work in my family, it's just a very basic indicator of poor character, low education level, and lack of openness to the world.
One guy seemed like a great option until he started sending me horrible racist photos and I knew he was bad. That and he admitted he was briefly married because he hit his wife. In his world men are the leaders and allowed to hit their wives. Once he started all of this I blocked him. Months later my subscription on the dating site ended but my profile was still up and he was still looking at my photo. I deleted the profile so he couldn't look anymore. He has my email but it doesn't have my name anywhere on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships