Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,731,910 times

Advertisements

Why not just love each other mutually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,615,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The concept of people loving more sounds high schoolish to me.
Yeah, that was my reaction, too. What does that even mean? How do you even define "love" in concrete terms, let alone measure the quantity of it to compare from person to person? It sounds like something that could only be said by someone who doesn't fully understand the complexities and intricacies of human relationships.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,926,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I wonder if it's related to another saying I've heard: a woman should select a husband who is a little less attractive than herself, as he will be unlikely to do better and will be less likely to stray. He's likely to love her more than she loves him, in this scenario.

And yes, it's disturbing, because not only does it make for an unbalanced relationship, it reduces the true complexity of relationships to one-dimensional stupidity.

On the other hand, there's also the saying - and song - that says: To live a happy life, marry an ugly wife.

Contradictory guidelines, so they can't both be right! Maybe neither are?

Actually, this "misinformation" is probably based on the principal some learned and misunderstood in Sociology 101 which states...

The person with the least amount of interest in a relationship holds the most amount of power.

It's not a principal that was meant to necessarily apply to loving romantic relationships, but like I said, some have taken a kernel of info and liberally applied it to suit their needs.

True love between adults isn't about power at all.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,615,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, this "misinformation" is probably based on the principal some learned and misunderstood in Sociology 101 which states...

The person with the least amount of interest in a relationship holds the most amount of power.

It's not a principal that was meant to necessarily apply to loving romantic relationships, but like I said, some have taken a kernel of info and liberally applied it to suit their needs.
Actually, I believe that principle does apply to romantic relationships, which is exactly why it's important for them to be mutual, rather than one person "loving more" than the other.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,716,569 times
I think a marriage will last longer if the woman loves the man more for the simple fact that men hate divorce. That doesn't mean it'll be a happy marriage though.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I suppose the concept arose from well-meaning thought that a man who loves his woman more than she loves him, will be less likely to stray, but what does that say about her? Then she'll be more likely to stray.
I agree, i think this is probably something that comes from old times where men were out working and the woman was a home, creating more opportunities for the man to be unfaithful... hence it would be more important to bind the man to the woman than the other way around... that would make it outdated today though...

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,744,875 times
I've heard of the concept, but I have issue with it. I would hate to see any of my male relatives end up with a woman who does not love them as much they love her. That would seem rather frustrating and miserable to live in.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,075,699 times
Glad to hear everyone also thinks it's a stupid idea.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,378,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I always found this concept disturbing. I think at least at first it must be a mutual, pretty much even attraction. Possibly even the woman loving the man more (but we don't need to over do it with clinginess and making him the whole world when we hardly know him.) As time goes on, maybe 5-10 years in, I think it's then ok for the man to love the woman more. Does anyone agree with the "better for the man to love the woman more" and if so, WHEN is this best started?
The problem I have with this statement is how is love measured?

If I was with a woman and I loved her so much that I nearly explode in a ball of light when I'm with her, how do I know that I love her more than she loves me?

(Looks in the mirror)

...Oh.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,251,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Where do you live? I wonder if it's a cultural thing? Or maybe I haven't heard it because it's something that is only said to women?
I've heard of this...

...On the internet. Discussed by men.

...Eventually I came to the conclusion that it's best for each person to like the other equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships