Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Yikes! Thank you for posting this. I have never been abused and really had no idea. I was beginning to think his "intensity" was strange and that he was rushing things a bit though.
Intensity and rushing things are also on the standard list of red flags for future abusive behaviour.

I have counseled men who admit to being abusive in relationships, who seem to honestly believe that by responding politely to boundary-pushing moves like this, instead of dumping him, a woman has agreed to any and all abusive behaviour in the future. They see it as a form of obtaining consent, and see themselves as honorable for doing so.

The woman, of course, has no idea that he considers her to have signed her life away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Not at all distressing, but quite curious and fascinating, so I'm trying to understand it. I was wondering where this particular culture exists because I've dated across most races, geographic regions, religions, political beliefs, socioeconomic statuses (except perhaps the most extraordinarily rich and poor), etc., in the U.S. The only thing left I could chalk it up to would be age, but like I said it appears to have been the norm in my parents' generation, too, so I'm still left trying to figure it out. I'm a social scientist, so this is what I do. Don't mind me Thanks for your attempts to help me understand (in the other thread), though.
Hmm.... I don't think I have dated as widely as you. I am in my mid-40s now, and this pattern has held true since I started dating as a teenager. I have had relationships with 3 guys from non-western countries, 4 from the east coast of the US, and one from Los Angeles. Nobody from the midwest or southeast. Working class thru upper-middle class (as in, his parents have senators over for dinner).

My ex, when he moved to Austin in his late 30s, said that people there do the dating-around thing. He had previously lived up and down the west coast, and not encountered it.

Everyone I have dated has been extremely liberal, politically. Varied religious and ethnic backgrounds.

I'm guessing the liberalism may have to do with it.

I thought 'going steady', in the 50s, meant 'engaged to be engaged'. I thought dating more than one or two people IN SEQUENCE before marriage made a girl a sl*t. My parents' generation were hippies, so that's a whole 'nother story .

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

My ex, when he moved to Austin in his late 30s, said that people there do the dating-around thing.
That's one of the places I've done a significant amount of dating.

Quote:
I'm guessing the liberalism may have to do with it.
So you think liberal people are less likely to date around? Hmm. Stereotypically it would be the opposite. Nearly everyone I've dated in Austin, Chicago, Colorado, New England, New York, and college towns throughout the U.S. has been very liberal (graduate educated, employed in the arts, academia, or creative-class type of fields, and wouldn't dream of voting Republican), and has followed the same assumption as people in my conservative hometown, which is that dating is dating, and a relationship is a relationship. I've only dated three or four Californians, so I guess I don't have a statistically significant sample from there, but they followed the same norm, and I can't imagine that Californians of all people would be more "traditional" on average than folks in Mid-America.

Quote:
I thought 'going steady', in the 50s, meant 'engaged to be engaged'. .
Perhaps, but along with that it meant, "We're an item now. We are seeing each other steadily, and no longer seeing anyone else."

Last edited by nearnorth; 05-30-2013 at 12:40 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
its always been the 3rd date for me.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 PM

@nearnorth:

It may be as simple as people with similar values finding each other based on subtle nonverbal cues.

I know conservative people have a stereotype about liberal people, that they sleep around indiscriminately, but I have seen no evidence of that. (Have you? It is your field, not mine .

On the contrary, my experience is that subcultures that highly value equality between men and women are also more likely to highly value selectiveness.

The polyamory subculture, for example -- it is basically the opposite of what men imagine . It's not a smorgasboard of sex. Rather, people tend to have 2 or 3 relationships, each of many years' (or decades) duration. Community leaders tend to be female more often than male. Dating often goes on for months before becoming sexual. Provision is often made for support, health insurance, child visitation, etc. of partners who are not legally married after they break up.

It's a wild-assed guess, but I am wondering if my choice of monogamous, yet very feminist, partners explains part of the discrepancy between my experience and yours. Or do you select for strong feminists, too?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM

71 posts, read 136,949 times
I believe you feel something right away and as you get to know the person, that feeling only grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships