Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,745,457 times

Advertisements

One date at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 AM

432 posts, read 1,229,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I was told that I was not the "typical woman" to take 4 dates or more to figure out if I want to date someone long term. The guy I am dating thinks that is too long. So I wonder if I am unusual?

How many dates typically does it take you to know if you want to date a person long term? Please also state if you are a man or a woman. He seems to think that women would take 1 or 2 dates, but men would take much longer.
To date or not to date someone long term, that is the question...

When you first are "dating" - lets say that's seeing each other twice a week and speaking over the phone on a couple other days.

I would say it has to do more with time as in months then actual number of "dates".

I dated a guy for a total of 6 weeks. In that time we had many "dates", even a weekend away together and if we didn't see each other we would talk over the phone.

It was WAY too INTENSE for me. At first I though "oh what a kind and attentive guy", always interested in me and my thoughts, feelings, views.... I could possible see him as long term potential...

By week 4 he was telling me he was in love with me, talking about living together at some point in the near future...oh oh... (this was the weekend we went away for my surprise birthday present- sleeping in separate rooms)

The next week I told him I was going to visit a girlfriend in another city for the weekend, he expected to come...no, not possible. WOO did he change...started acting strange, I said hey lets take some time with this relationship, things been going really fast...

He's crying, saying that he can't live without me...he can't go to work as he is so distressed. Constantly calling me even when I went away that I actually turned my phone off.

Least to say when I came back after my weekend away I ended the "relationship", too Much too Soon.

It really takes more then just a couple of dates or even 4 dates to know if you want to just continue dating with that one person for long term. Long term in my opinion is more than 12 + months...

I reckon the first 3 months both parties are putting on their best face and personality which is not always the "real thing".

3-5 months people will start relaxing and showing their true personality so you will have a decent idea then if you would want to continue longer.

At the 6 month point is where you know if you could continue a relationship long term because by that time you have seen this person happy, sad, angry, mad and you know what they really think about things and how they act in different situations.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 AM

368 posts, read 578,260 times
You really shouldn't be keeping count, just go out until you feel that there's something more there. The same way you don't bother dating anymore if there's no chemistry after the first date, they're some people that start a long term relationship after the first date.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,008,623 times
Quote:
By week 4 he was telling me he was in love with me, talking about living together at some point in the near future...oh oh...
That seems normal to me.

Quote:
The next week I told him I was going to visit a girlfriend in another city for the weekend, he expected to come...no, not possible. WOO did he change...started acting strange, I said hey lets take some time with this relationship, things been going really fast...

He's crying, saying that he can't live without me.
Whoah, THAT is freaky!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM

523 posts, read 841,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post

It was WAY too INTENSE for me. At first I though "oh what a kind and attentive guy", always interested in me and my thoughts, feelings, views.... I could possible see him as long term potential...

This is what I am thinking about this guy now....too intense.

By week 4 he was telling me he was in love with me, talking about living together at some point in the near future...oh oh... (this was the weekend we went away for my surprise birthday present- sleeping in separate rooms)

He's crying, saying that he can't live without me...he can't go to work as he is so distressed. Constantly calling me even when I went away that I actually turned my phone off.
And this is what I am afraid.....after 3 dates, he told me doesn't want me to talk about other men

Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,608,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
And this is what I am afraid.....after 3 dates, he told me doesn't want me to talk about other men
Any guy who doesn't even want you to talk about other men, regardless of how many dates, is a controlling a-hole.

Unless you mean that he doesn't want you to talk about other men you're currently dating, in which case that's just a common courtesy.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,008,623 times
Quote:
Any guy who doesn't even want you to talk about other men, regardless of how many dates, is a controlling a-hole.
Yes. Red flag. Run away.

Quote:
Unless you mean that he doesn't want you to talk about other men you're currently dating, in which case that's just a common courtesy.
Nope, it's still a sign of psycho-ness. Leave.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM

523 posts, read 841,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

No it wasn't about other men I was dating. I wouldn't do that. I was just saying how men (in general) will be attracted to looks before brains and that other men I know have told me this. It's weird cause I even told him how I can't stand jealous men.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,961,277 times
It depends on how well you communicate with each other, everyone is different.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,608,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Nope, it's still a sign of psycho-ness. Leave.
So you want a guy you're dating in the early stages to tell you all about the other women he's dating, and you would tell him all about the other men you're dating? And to not do that is "psycho-ness" (sic)? I don't think I've ever encountered people who do that in over two decades of dating.

In my circles it has always been considered a matter of common courtesy and class not to discuss other people you're currently dating. I've never done that with a woman and have never had a woman do that with me. If I did and someone asked me not to, I would consider that to be no more or less "psycho" than asking me to follow any other form of basic manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships