Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
*Gold plated ring (15 bucks for a leaf sheet of gold ) vs gold ring
*Man-made diamonds- much cheaper
*Small ceremony at home
I disagree with your first two suggestions. A gold plate ring or a fake diamond cheapens the relationship. It is all show and no substance.

I have a thin, 18k gold band which cost $180. a long time ago, and a bodacious diamond ring that I didn't get until we could afford it....10 years after we got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Some women dream of the big day. They plan the whole thing ever since they learn what a wedding is.
Yeah, we have pictures from me as a baby being my older sister's 'groom'. She started practicing for that wedding way way young. She wanted to marry Peter Pan. The boy who never grows up.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I sincerely don't think a wedding and rings need to cost that much money.

I would be fine getting married with a very minimal amount of people with us. I think it is more important to others than it is to us that they be there, or that it be big and spectacular.

I would like a nice ring but not like what is spoken of in the OP. I do not think that is necessary.....

Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
My wedding day was memorable. Just without all the fakeness.
Aw, that's a low blow.

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to like it.

One bride's "fake" is another bride's family tradition.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Weddings are costly. My brother spent tons on it. And my mom and my sister in law's parents chipped in.

After seeing the hectiveness of it, I'm eloping. Lol

Or going to the justice of the peace.

Maybe go to Vegas and have Elvis marry me. Haha.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I disagree with your first two suggestions. A gold plate ring or a fake diamond cheapens the relationship. It is all show and no substance.

I have a thin, 18k gold band which cost $180. a long time ago, and a bodacious diamond ring that I didn't get until we could afford it....10 years after we got married.
Man made diamonds are real diamonds. In fact, they are better than natural diamonds, in both appearance and uses for industrial purposes.

Also isn't a gold ring merely an accessory to show that you are taken? *shrugs*

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I won't be having a huge, expensive wedding...no interest in that whatsoever. All that fuss and expense for one day? What a waste (IMHO only). The marriage is what's important....not how grandiose your wedding day is. It will be a small, simple affair with only the people who are close to me (and my future fiance, whoever he may be lol).
Tell that to all the Bridezillas out there...

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I sincerely don't think a wedding and rings need to cost that much money.

I would be fine getting married with a very minimal amount of people with us.
well, what if the person you are marrying has a very large family and wants all of them present so as to not cause a rift within their family? That would result in a large wedding with proportionately large costs.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
First, there is the engagement ring, $5-6k (after tax) is a minimum expectation it seems these days, then wedding bands (another $1k) then the wedding itself... looking around $25-30k seems to be the average, then the honeymoon, another $5k or so... when all is said and done we're talking close to $50k!!

And this seems to be very average, not high end at all.

My question, how do people afford it? Especially considering that marriage often means starting a new family which leads to even more very high expenses - buying a home, family cars, kids etc.

How many people can blow this kind of money and then continue into making expensive choices like buying homes and having kids?
Our wedding cost us right at $1000.00 and we eloped, friends that went with us paid for their own hotel room so the $1000.00 was 1 hotel room for 3 days/2 nights, marriage license, our rings, gasoline to get there and dining out while we were there. Short, sweet, straight forward to the point, done.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Aw, that's a low blow.

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to like it.

One bride's "fake" is another bride's family tradition.
Yep, I smiled grimly all through the planning, production and attendance of my sister's wedding as maid of honor. I've born my fair share of bridesmaid dresses. Do you really blame me for wanting to skip all that? I have been plenty nice and polite. Bought lots of wedding presents. Paid out for dresses. Paid out for hotel rooms. Paid out for Jack and Jill parties and Bachelorette parties. I be done, done, done, done, done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships