Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,814,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
$60g for a wedding ...why?
No one's backyard could take a couple of hundred people. So the venue was a large part of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,094,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
No one's backyard could take a couple of hundred people. So the venue was a large part of the cost.
Next time you know someone getting ready to blow that kind of change for a venue,ill rent the massive civic center in the next town over for just over a grand for the day and only charge them 20g for the use of it...you have to admit that spending that kind of money is really ignorant as far as the tangible things to make their lives easier after the wedding are concerned? I mean really,give me $60000.00 disposable and I would triple it in a year of just fiddle farting around and trading...that's my point...just a waste to keep up with the Jones and a "hey look at me" thing all the way...jmho

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,586,865 times
My wedding cost very little. The pastor who married us was a close family friend. Not only did he let us use the church for free, we had the reception at his house. His home and yard were both very large. There was enough room in his backyard for tables, a dance floor, a DJ booth and more. We all had a great time. That was 10 years ago and it seems like yesterday.

If your family has the money, then go big if you want. However, for regular couples I would advise spending that money on a home or using it for something more prudent. Years later it is not the "blig" that you remember most from your wedding anyway.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,421,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
First, there is the engagement ring, $5-6k (after tax) is a minimum expectation it seems these days, then wedding bands (another $1k) then the wedding itself... looking around $25-30k seems to be the average, then the honeymoon, another $5k or so... when all is said and done we're talking close to $50k!!

And this seems to be very average, not high end at all.

My question, how do people afford it? Especially considering that marriage often means starting a new family which leads to even more very high expenses - buying a home, family cars, kids etc.

How many people can blow this kind of money and then continue into making expensive choices like buying homes and having kids?
Idk.. seems like a lot of people marry for the 'image.'

They want to marry the perfect groom who will fit into the perfect suit for the perfect carriage with a little ring bearer who bears the perfect big round diamond ring, and then they wed off into a perfect Caribbean bliss.

Seriously, life's $hitty. A simple wedding and a simple ring is enough to profess one's loyalty and devotion towards one another. That's where the real work is. Why invest so much money on how the damn tablecloth and table-wearscape (whatever the hell it's called) looks like? Most of it's probably going to the trash anyway (like anyone recycles)./Vent @ ridiculousness of wedding business. *barf*

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I cant imagine having that many people. Maybe in the future people will just video their wedding and put it on u-tube. LOL. Or if they want to be more personal send everyone their own copy. Almost as good as being there.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,814,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Next time you know someone getting ready to blow that kind of change for a venue,ill rent the massive civic center in the next town over for just over a grand for the day and only charge them 20g for the use of it...you have to admit that spending that kind of money is really ignorant as far as the tangible things to make their lives easier after the wedding are concerned? I mean really,give me $60000.00 disposable and I would triple it in a year of just fiddle farting around and trading...that's my point...just a waste to keep up with the Jones and a "hey look at me" thing all the way...jmho
She's some kind of corporate accountant. She had that kind of money to blow on a wedding at 33 years old. And tie up my life as I tried to help her plan the damn thing. I don't know what she earns, but it's probably over $100k and she doesn't drive and doesn't fly much. She doesn't usually spend extravagantly aside from her tiny dog. She has the weirdest thing about buying expensive male pets, spoiling them and giving them Italian names. Pasquale. Guiseppe. Napoleon.

Anyway, she's cool in some ways and a little crazy in others. Like the wedding thing. She was always going to have a big wedding.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
People's priorities all vary. Find someone with whom yours align.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Does everyone need a nice car? A big house? A huge TV?

I would never spend a small fortune on, say, sporting events.

But, neither would my husband.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
My wedding was under $500, including the rings.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,923,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I'll just answer the part about eloping. For many it is very important to have family present for the occasion. I really never thought about eloping, but I can say there would have been a lot of issues on both sides if we had.

You can still do things modestly though, have family present, and not elope.
True. I guess I didn't really mean "elope" in the strict sense of not telling anyone until after. I was thinking more along the lines of just having something very low-key with very few people there.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,094,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Idk.. seems like a lot of people marry for the 'image.'

They want to marry the perfect groom who will fit into the perfect suit for the perfect carriage with a little ring bearer who bears the perfect big round diamond ring, and then they wed off into a perfect Caribbean bliss.

Seriously, life's $hitty. A simple wedding and a simple ring is enough to profess one's loyalty and devotion towards one another. That's where the real work is. Why invest so much money on how the damn tablecloth and table-wearscape (whatever the hell it's called) looks like? Most of it's probably going to the trash anyway (like anyone recycles)./Vent @ ridiculousness of wedding business. *barf*
You and I are pretty much in one accord on this wedding "bidness"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My wedding was under $500, including the rings.
I hear ya..my wedding was cheap,but my divorce raped me...and not in a good way either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships