Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times

Advertisements

Is it possible? Of course. How would it not be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I've a friend in his 40's who lives with his mother for the past 10 years (not for financial reasons, but I've never attempted to, ahem, broach the subject with him). He's single and has no prospects. Is there a correlation? I think so.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 AM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
It's not impossible, but some women may be skeptical. My advise is to really focus on improving your life. You're 27 soon to be 30 soon. Focus on YOU and forget about women. I know you're not dead, but you're in a situation where you need to get your life together...FOR YOU. A girlfriend is only going to increase the "stress" (for lack of a better word). Persevere!! All the best.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Many live at home to save on money plus help their elderly parents. Many people live on their own and are poor because of all the bills. Or play house and have their parents pay the bills. I dated a senior math teacher whom moved back home to save.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I dropped out of college 3 years ago, but I am trying to go back. If I do go back, then that means I definitely wont be able to leave home for at least another 2-3 years since I will have to pay for school. I'm in a tough spot.
You wouldn't be in a tough spot if you got back into school. It's normal to live at home while in school. Some of the women in school live at home, too. If I were you, I'd do everything possible to get back in school. It could help your social life, and would definitely move you toward a better-paying job.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I dropped out of college 3 years ago, but I am trying to go back. If I do go back, then that means I definitely wont be able to leave home for at least another 2-3 years since I will have to pay for school. I'm in a tough spot.
I had a friend who dropped out and he only had like 15 credits left to graduate and I have been unable to convince him to go back, its kinda a shame. He is dealing with bottom of the barrel bosses and I have never had to "work" a day in my life because I love what I do, yea college was a night mare but after college I never had to deal with any drudgery or drama.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShadow View Post
I have my own place; It wouldn't be a dealbreaker in and of itself because there are good reasons people live at home. However, I'd be wary of someone who had never lived alone/with roommates outside of a college dorm because there are skills that people learn when they don't live with their parents that I think are important and that get more important the older you get.
This^
I've never dated someone who lived at home, so I don't know what that would be like.
Can't say I would or wouldn't date them solely for this reason,
because I don't have experiences of it to reflect upon & consider.
I just don't know, at this point-so I can't be definite about the issue.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
eh, it is a place to live for whatever reason they choose to live there. My Uncle did not move out of my Grandparents home until he was about 32, my brother lives with my Mother and has for years. He is a bachelor and will more than likely never marry and it works well for them. She is 72 and not in good health so he is there with her when she needs him I live in a different state and a 5 hour drive away from them so it helps me as well. My girlfriend's kids did not move out until they were in their mid to late 20's. They worked but preferred to live at home and paid rent as well as taking care of household chores. Whatever someone chooses is right for them is what they choose and as long as all involved are happy with the arrangements it should be no one else's concern or business.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
I'm 27 years old and have left my parents' home ever since I was 19 (starting with university), with periodical "returns" at the time, but have permanently left home for years already and lived on the other side of the globe for over 2 years. I'm living in another town as well.

And here's my opinion to you, OP. If you're saving money - good for you. You're saving it for yourself and it's good to support the household you live in from time to time. Living within your abilities is a good thing. Living above your capabilities is NOT a good thing and not a sign of any maturity. Learn some basic skills to run a place on your own. I regretted not knowing it when I was 19 y/o so I had to learn and demand to be shown how to do certain things... sometimes parents consider that you'll be a baby your whole life and that's a bad thing. I actually thought that washing socks, ironing and knowing how to break two eggs is "knowing how to run place" but you'll learn there's more to it and it's mostly about self-discipline and I only learned it when I moved out on studies. You need that knowledge ASAP as you're 27 and you should have known at least the basics already - using dishwasher, washing machine, how to clean up sink and how to clean up bathroom, what to buy and keep the economy in tact, enough variety with food, especially cooked food, etc. Running a house isn't just renting the place.

Once you learn the basics and save up enough money - it generally doesn't matter where you live. I.e. I'd probably move into with my other brother to save up costs and have someone to live with, if only we were close. And I think that this forum will give you completely wrong insight on your issue - I think about HALF U.S. guys at your age are still with their parents or they "live away" but depend even heavier (i.e. they are studying and are getting money from their parents, living in a place rented by their parents' money, etc).
Moving in with your potential girlfriend? I don't know... I'm not the type who supports cohabitation, it might have been different if you know each other for a long time and is just a matter of weeks (or maybe some months) before you officially marry. I'm really not into cohabitation with someone I've dated for a few weeks but lots of young folks in today's age are actually choosing this option. You need to know that I'm more of a "reserved" type on certain issues. However, if your date expects you to have a separate place just like her and doesn't consider on dating you or cohabiting in her place - just move on. You don't need such girlfriend and you don't need to move out and do something that defies your logic just to "keep up with her". There are plenty of people who will actually appreciate a guy who's carefully watches to avoid wasting money when he doesn't have to.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
It would depend on why he is still at home, and whether he has the rest of his life in order in an adult sense. For instance if he has never had a girlfriend and was a virgin, that would make me wonder if he had a severe case of arrested development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships