Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hope everyone had a festive 4th! I'm off to work 11 hours today. So glad I get OT!
What do you do for a living? OT is always good.
A LONG time ago I used to work in retail (in HS and college). We had a union and we used to get OT (time and a half) and on holidays we got double time. I used to volunteer to work every holiday.

I wish I had a union now!

I'm off for the summer. Heading to the fabric store to see if I can find some fabric worthy enough to hang in my family room. I have not been able to find curtains that I love so I'm hoping I can at least find the fabric.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
What do you do for a living? OT is always good.
A LONG time ago I used to work in retail (in HS and college). We had a union and we used to get OT (time and a half) and on holidays we got double time. I used to volunteer to work every holiday.

I wish I had a union now!

I'm off for the summer. Heading to the fabric store to see if I can find some fabric worthy enough to hang in my family room. I have not been able to find curtains that I love so I'm hoping I can at least find the fabric.
I have to work today, but then I get a 4 day weekend. Plus, I'm the only one here so it's not bad. I wish I could work OT, but honestly, I'm just happy to be a regular old hourly employee again.

I've done the salaried accounting positions. I made more money, but once you add in all the extra hours necessary that "hourly rate" went down pretty quickly.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Someone slap me, please!

I'm such a slave to my scale and I swear I'm going mental. I have recommited to running and circut training since school was out. Most days I do both.

So I weigh every morning and measure when I'm feeling fat (I can't help it...that behavior won't change). So I'm down 4 1/2 - 5" but I've gained 3lbs. Now I know why...but like I said, I'm a slave to my scale. It's driving me crazy. The 3lbs bothers the crap out of me and completely overshadows the inches lost.

I've rejoined WW...started yesterday and I can't wrap my brain around the fact that fruit is free. I did the old plan where fruit was counted. Beagle, do you measure, weigh or track it? There's a lot of sugar in fruit so while it's "free" for a serving, do they limit servings? I can't find that info anywhere.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Someone slap me, please!

I'm such a slave to my scale and I swear I'm going mental. I have recommited to running and circut training since school was out. Most days I do both.

So I weigh every morning and measure when I'm feeling fat (I can't help it...that behavior won't change). So I'm down 4 1/2 - 5" but I've gained 3lbs. Now I know why...but like I said, I'm a slave to my scale. It's driving me crazy. The 3lbs bothers the crap out of me and completely overshadows the inches lost.

I've rejoined WW...started yesterday and I can't wrap my brain around the fact that fruit is free. I did the old plan where fruit was counted. Beagle, do you measure, weigh or track it? There's a lot of sugar in fruit so while it's "free" for a serving, do they limit servings? I can't find that info anywhere.
I have a problem with fruit in that I LOVE it and could eat it all day long. I try to limit myself to two or three "free" servings a day, which honestly is still probably too much. If I eat more than that I usually count it or just consider it extra points used. WW does not limit your servings, but our leader is always reminding us that even though fruit is free, it's not a free for all. If there's a week where I know I've done pretty well and still had a gain or no loss, the first thing I look at is how much fruit I've eaten.

This has been a not so great week for me. I just can't bring myself to care the last couple days. I don't want to track or think about points. Even plugging my activity monitor into my computer is more than I feel like doing. I've eaten some extras and haven't run at all this week so I'm fully expecting a gain Saturday morning. I know I will get back to caring, but the next several days are going to be tough. I'm so close to my goal, though!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I have a problem with fruit in that I LOVE it and could eat it all day long. I try to limit myself to two or three "free" servings a day, which honestly is still probably too much. If I eat more than that I usually count it or just consider it extra points used. WW does not limit your servings, but our leader is always reminding us that even though fruit is free, it's not a free for all. If there's a week where I know I've done pretty well and still had a gain or no loss, the first thing I look at is how much fruit I've eaten.

This has been a not so great week for me. I just can't bring myself to care the last couple days. I don't want to track or think about points. Even plugging my activity monitor into my computer is more than I feel like doing. I've eaten some extras and haven't run at all this week so I'm fully expecting a gain Saturday morning. I know I will get back to caring, but the next several days are going to be tough. I'm so close to my goal, though!
It gets very hard when you are so close to goal. LOL
I'm STILL stalled out there....and it has been 8 YEARS!

The good news is I've kept off the extra person I lost for the last 8yrs...but it frustrates me that I can't lose the last few pounds. Probably doesn't help that I keep changing my goal too! lol

Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
It gets very hard when you are so close to goal. LOL
I'm STILL stalled out there....and it has been 8 YEARS!

The good news is I've kept off the extra person I lost for the last 8yrs...but it frustrates me that I can't lose the last few pounds. Probably doesn't help that I keep changing my goal too! lol
Yeah, as of last Saturday I'm down to the last 7 pounds. However, I will have company this weekend, vacation the week after next, and somewhere in there I'm going to be PMS'ing! LOL Hopefully the weather won't be too bad this weekend and I can get outside and do stuff with our guests. I'm also going to take my running shoes on vacation.

That is a huge accomplishment! (pardon the pun) Be proud of that. I have a number set for my goal, but I'm afraid that won't be good enough. We'll see. I think part of me is afraid to actually get there and then have to maintain it.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, as of last Saturday I'm down to the last 7 pounds. However, I will have company this weekend, vacation the week after next, and somewhere in there I'm going to be PMS'ing! LOL Hopefully the weather won't be too bad this weekend and I can get outside and do stuff with our guests. I'm also going to take my running shoes on vacation.

That is a huge accomplishment! (pardon the pun) Be proud of that. I have a number set for my goal, but I'm afraid that won't be good enough. We'll see. I think part of me is afraid to actually get there and then have to maintain it.
I need new running shoes so bad. It's been almost a year and they are "flat".
I always take my running shoes on vacation. We are going to a lake this year...I'm hoping there are some trails around the lake...I LOVE trail running.

I've reset my goal weight several times. My fear is that I will never be satisfied.

Maintenance is easy...don't let that scare you. I didn't even count points when on maintenance. You know how to eat and you know what to do to maintain. Just watch how your clothes fit and if you are like me, the scale. A 3lb +/- was always okay with me. More than that and it's actual weight gain for me and not just water or PMS. I'd just pay more attention to the intake for a few days and it would come right off.

Losing weight was much easier when I wasn't taking a pill to control my thyroid. I had an appt a few weeks ago and my doc said "your numbers are creeping, but we'll watch and wait"
It's like swimming upstream...very hard to get ahead when it's all controlled with meds. If the dose doesn't change, the metabolism doesn't change much.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hope everyone had a festive 4th! I'm off to work 11 hours today. So glad I get OT!

Had a really great 4th, it was like having front seat with the cast of the TV show "The Big Bang Theory", couldn't have asked for a more engagingly fun group Half the group went off to watch the fireworks at the bay front, the rest of us decided to stay back and continue on with playing board games and eating up the rest of desserts. Seen one large group of sparkly things go bang in the sky, once, you've seen it more than enough in my eyes, after the explosion in the sky, there's the explosion in the parking lot to get out of the traffic jam. Pass. But kudos to all that have the patience for it. I thought I was going to go, but chickened out last minute as visions of gridlock circled in my head.

Try not to work too hard Himan, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Happy Friday people.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I need new running shoes so bad. It's been almost a year and they are "flat".
I always take my running shoes on vacation. We are going to a lake this year...I'm hoping there are some trails around the lake...I LOVE trail running.

I've reset my goal weight several times. My fear is that I will never be satisfied.

Maintenance is easy...don't let that scare you. I didn't even count points when on maintenance. You know how to eat and you know what to do to maintain. Just watch how your clothes fit and if you are like me, the scale. A 3lb +/- was always okay with me. More than that and it's actual weight gain for me and not just water or PMS. I'd just pay more attention to the intake for a few days and it would come right off.

Losing weight was much easier when I wasn't taking a pill to control my thyroid. I had an appt a few weeks ago and my doc said "your numbers are creeping, but we'll watch and wait"
It's like swimming upstream...very hard to get ahead when it's all controlled with meds. If the dose doesn't change, the metabolism doesn't change much.
This is my fear for myself. However, I don't want to set a goal so low that it's difficult to maintain. I know I probably COULD get lower, but as long as I'm at a healthy weight I don't care. I certainly look much better now than I did a year ago!

That must be very difficult and frustrating to have thyroid problems.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Seen one large group of sparkly things go bang in the sky, once, you've seen it more than enough in my eyes, after the explosion in the sky, there's the explosion in the parking lot to get out of the traffic jam. Pass. But kudos to all that have the patience for it. I thought I was going to go, but chickened out last minute as visions of gridlock circled in my head.

Happy Friday people.
LOL, this is why we avoid any kind of "celebration" you have to drive to. I can't stand the gridlock.
They are doing fireworks at a farm in the community but you can see them from lake down the road from us. We were going to walk down there (it's about 3/4 of a mile so not far at all). However, they publicized that the lake would be a good viewing spot, so that will be super crowded. We've decided to have our own little "viewing party" on the golf course instead.

Quote:
This is my fear for myself. However, I don't want to set a goal so low that it's difficult to maintain. I know I probably COULD get lower, but as long as I'm at a healthy weight I don't care. I certainly look much better now than I did a year ago!

That must be very difficult and frustrating to have thyroid problems.
That's just it. I have gotten lower than this but it's hard to maintain. However, this is not where I want to be either. I've read some info on the "set point" of weight...it's pretty interesting. Studies have been done to suggest that you can lower your set point by losing 10% of your body weight at a time, and then maintaing it for 6 months. Then repeat the process. Your body is less likely to fight back to maintain the heavier weight if you do this. Here's a link, but if you google "set point weight" you'll come up with a lot of info on this:

Week One: The Science of Set Point

Last edited by *Sixy*; 07-05-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships