Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times

Advertisements

II don't think I know anyone who went back to her maiden name. Is this common in some parts of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've known women who have kept the last name of ex-husband when there are mutual children involved. But what if there are no children involved from the marriage? Why wouldn't a woman revert back to her maiden name?
My sister kept her married name because her career took off between she got married to when she got divorced. They've been divorced much longer than they were married now and she's still got his last name.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
II don't think I know anyone who went back to her maiden name. Is this common in some parts of the world?
I changed mine back to my maiden name last year, largely because after my dad passed away, I wanted to retain his name, not my ex's last name. When I get married, I will keep my maiden name on all my documents, but people can call me Mrs. SO's-last-name and address things to Mr. and Mrs. SO's-last-name and that's quite fine with me.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I changed mine back to my maiden name last year, largely because after my dad passed away, I wanted to retain his name, not my ex's last name. When I get married, I will keep my maiden name on all my documents, but people can call me Mrs. SO's-last-name and address things to Mr. and Mrs. SO's-last-name and that's quite fine with me.
I really admire you for that! My youngest sister got pregnant in high school and was only married to the father for about 2 years. It didn't end up pretty, but she kept his name because of her son. When the son was old enough, she changed it back to her maiden name. Now she remarried, so she has another name now. My roommate has no career at all. I think that it might have something to do with the costs involved and maybe she likes the way that the name sounds.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Someone I went to graduate school did this. She got a journalism career while in grad school and right after she got married so she used his last name. They got divorced and went back to her maiden name. Kind of confusing to find her articles now.

Personally I doubt I would change my name professionally.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Your best post,
ever.

Last edited by buddy5; 07-03-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've known women who have kept the last name of ex-husband when there are mutual children involved. But what if there are no children involved from the marriage? Why wouldn't a woman revert back to her maiden name?
Better question is why do women change their last name to their husbands when they marry.

When I divorced #2 I took back my #1's last name instead of my married name. Actually I never legally changed in on my legal documents like DL or SS.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
I was all set to change my name back (had the lawyer draw up the paperwork and everything). But then my daughter wanted to have the same name as me. So instead of causing stress for her (or drama with my Ex by fighting with him over our daughter's last name), I just kept the married name. I figure some day I will change it back--just not right now.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I went back to my maiden name, even thought it would be different than my childrens. I would be divorced from my ex, and I no longer wanted his name.

There was no more hassle, or not much, anyway. I just had to do a name change request sheet in the divorce paper work.

He signed off on it, and it went through without a hitch.

For some reason, it had to be ok'd by him, which I do not understand.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM

803 posts, read 1,880,053 times
i became friends with someone who is married and goes by her maiden name, and i never knew that until one day, we were talking about baby names and stuff and then the subject of last names came up.

she said she kept her maiden name because she took a womens lib class in college and back in the day, women were property and when their fathers sold their daughter(s) to the new prospective husband, the daughter would change her name to her husbands.

honestly, it was a bit of an uncomfortable convo as i was talking with her and 2 other married females and we all took our husbands last name. tht awkward silence lasted a little longer than a few seconds. lol

anyways, so she kept her maiden name and she wanted her daugter to also have her maiden name. her husband didnt let that happen. so instead, she used her maiden name as her daughters middle name.

she has garden flags on her front lawn and there are 2 monogrammed ones. one with her initial and the other initial is her husband's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships