Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Fixed
Rotflmao!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Now hear me out. Men(not all)think they are better looking than what they really are. This is why they date up. Women on the other hand tend to think they are not all that. That's why some settle. Do you agree?
Halfway.

Women are told from Day One that it's all about youth and beauty. They are hammered from every available outlet about how wrinkles, gray hair, cellulite, sagging this, blemished that, imperfect the other is basically a kiss of death, and how women's looks and bodies are their commodities to barter with and trade to be successful in love and life. As most women are not pageant queens with perfect skin, hair, or body, it tends to do a number on their view of themselves.

The ironic part is that most men I know don't even want all of that in a woman in the first place. The only men I see harping on how men are attracted to youth and beauty are the handful of sexist loudmouths here on this forum who can't resist an opportunity to try to make either passive-aggressive or overtly hostile swipes at the women here, most of whom have had far more success in love and relationships than those dolts could ever hope to have. I've never heard men yammer on about all of that in real life before. Ever.

As for men thinking they are better looking than they are, that comes back to the messages they receive from every outlet from Day One, especially if they are white. By and large, white men still have advantages that men of color and women at large do not have. Wealth and power are still concentrated in the hands of white men, and they are still raised with the notion that the world is their oyster. Overall and very generally speaking, that instills in them a sense of entitlement that men of color and women at large just do not have. Things are changing, sure, but it's a long, long road. The point is that when you have that kind of entitlement and privilege because of your gender and color, and you're not judged on them, you tend not to worry about your looks and your appearance the way people who are judged on those things do.

I'm sure this will tick off a lot of the people here who see themselves in this, but frankly, I'm past caring.

Last edited by Lilac110; 07-11-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I admit it...I think I am way better looking than I really am. I wake up thinking thinking I am a stud like Flava Flav...unfortunately I have realized I am not on that level yet

Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I admit it...I think I am way better looking than I really am. I wake up thinking thinking I am a stud like Flava Flav...unfortunately I have realized I am not on that level yet
Ew gawd not Flava Flave more like Euge Washington.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
While I agree to some extent that men are more confident or less harsh on their appearance than women, I do not believe it is the primary reason they desire to 'date up.' Rather, I believe men are conditioned by Hollywood to believe that any man can bag a good looking woman as long as he has the right kind of charm. Leonard from Big Bang theory, George Costanza from Seinfeld, 40 Year Old Virgin, any Kevin James character, etc. You never see teenagers with 2.5 gpa's angsting in the Education forum that they didn't get into an Ivy League school because it's well understood that elite Universities are only for the smartest students. Sadly Hollywood creates an unrealistic portrayal of the world in which ugly men being with beautiful women is far more common than it really is.
Yes. I have seen so many unattractive men complain about not being able to get model beautiful women. I once had a friend get upset with online dating because he wasn't attracting women he felt he deserved. He was very obese (around 400 pounds), about 5'9, smelly, 40, underemployed and lived with his parents. He was looking for a woman around 25 who was around his height or shorter, thin with big boobs and preferably blonde. He turned down a woman who was chubby because she was chubby (though he was obese). Haven't seen him in years but he's either still single and complaining or lowered his standards.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Oh, good grief, no. You are much better-looking than he is!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Halfway.

Women are told from Day One that it's all about youth and beauty. They are hammered from every available outlet about how wrinkles, gray hair, cellulite, sagging this, blemished that, imperfect the other is basically a kiss of death, and how women's looks and bodies are their commodities to barter with and trade to be successful in love and life. As most women are not pageant queens with perfect skin, hair, or body, it tends to do a number on their view of themselves.

The ironic part is that most men I know don't even want all of that in a woman in the first place. The only men I see harping on how men are attracted to youth and beauty are the handful of sexist loudmouths here on this forum who can't resist an opportunity to try to make either passive-aggressive or overtly hostile swipes at the women here, most of whom have had far more success in love and relationships than those dolts could ever hope to have. I've never heard men yammer on about all of that in real life before. Ever.

As for men thinking they are better looking than they are, that comes back to the messages they receive from every outlet from Day One, especially if they are white. By and large, white men still have advantages that men of color and women at large do not have. Wealth and power are still concentrated in the hands of white men, and they are still raised with the notion that the world is their oyster. Overall and very generally speaking, that instills in them a sense of entitlement that men of color and women at large just do not have. Things are changing, sure, but it's a long, long road. The point is that when you have that kind of entitlement and privilege because of your gender and color, and you're not judged on them, you tend not to worry about your looks and your appearance the way people who are judged on those things do.

I'm sure this will tick off a lot of the people here who see themselves in this, but frankly, I'm past caring.

White men aren't in power. Heh heh. That's what the other races like them to think. Ever see this?

TV Ad: United States owes China - YouTube

Old 07-11-2013, 02:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I agree, but does he have Flav's amazing personality??

Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Seriously I'd go out with him in a heart beat.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Seriously I'd go out with him in a heart beat.
Flav????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships