Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
That's sad that they think a "career" is more important than having a family and living their lives as wives and mothers like they should.
I'm hoping this is sarcasm, but in case its not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
That's sad that they think a "career" is more important than having a family and living their lives as wives and mothers like they should. You can always replace a "career" but you can't replace a family. They sound like very selfish people.
<gag>

The 19th century is calling you...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
I thought women, in general, were obsessed with divorce? Anyhow, I can't relate to either (great desire to marry or divorce). Marriage was very important to my husband because he hails from a family where people marry, stay married, and live functional lives. I hail from divorce so I was always hesitant. I didn't want to follow in my parents foot steps. It was very difficult to finally tie the knot, but it's been pretty good thus far. Btw, marriage is not the same as LTRs; not even close imo. Friendships are closer to LTRs with a lover and the relationship with a child/parent is closer to marriage since it's family.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I just have to say..that as many guys I see online acting like they don't want to get married, the real world is totally different. As much as guys moan and groan about marriage and even worse how screwed they get in a divorce, many men get married before the ink is dry on the divorce paperwork. I am not buying this myth that women are twisting guys arms or putting a gun to their heads to get married.
That's what I see in real life as well. We even had one of our friends tell us that he was getting married to his girlfriend as soon as the ink dried on his divorce papers. And he did! And a lot of my guy friends have/had told me that they want/wanted to get married. It's really only online that I see this huge outrage against marriage. In my real life - it's not a big deal.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That's what I see in real life as well. We even had one of our friends tell us that he was getting married to his girlfriend as soon as the ink dried on his divorce papers. And he did! And a lot of my guy friends have/had told me that they want/wanted to get married. It's really only online that I see this huge outrage against marriage. In my real life - it's not a big deal.
I totally agree.

Online guys are weird and have such a distorted view of reality.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's sad that they think a "career" is more important than having a family and living their lives as wives and mothers like they should. You can always replace a "career" but you can't replace a family. They sound like very selfish people. I'm glad I don't live in that kind of an environment.
Like they should? That actually made me dizzy. How in the world do you think you know what women should be doing?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Piggybacking off the thread where the man got an ultimatum to marry from his GF. Why do women (in general) want to get married so badly? Why does marriage matter so much if its not really any different than a LTR?
It is not that marriage is so important in and of itself. It is that a man's steadfast refusal to get married signals that he's not really that invested in her or the relationship. It signals that he wants to keep his options open, that he is still looking for a better deal. That makes women feel unloved and insecure. How could it not?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,377 times
I even look at famous men who are paying millions of dollars in alimony, get married AGAIN and divorced AGAIN, paying more alimony. One would think if marriage was so bad for men, these guys wouldn't dare let another women talk them into it.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah you're right, all women go into marriage with that very thought in mind, fleecing their husband out of his millions....

Such a load of garbage, as if that many men even have much money. Women are out earning guys at a rate never seen before. Many of us don't need a man for financial security so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. You're so full of drama and silliness and blatant misogyny.
I've seen guys on this forum state that they have assets comprised of a used car and 5k in the bank with a follow up question of how to protect it from the womens.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah you're right, all women go into marriage with that very thought in mind, fleecing their husband out of his millions....

Such a load of garbage, as if that many men even have much money. Women are out earning guys at a rate never seen before. Many of us don't need a man for financial security so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. You're so full of drama and silliness and blatant misogyny.
I thought women only earn 70 cents for every dollar a man makes, doing the same job. Which is it, you get to pick only one. Here is a fun fact: 96% of alimony is paid by men to women. How is that not redistribution of wealth from a producer to a consumer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships