Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,775,977 times

Advertisements

I am going to be brutally honest with you OP. I work in the HIV world (communicator, policymaking, activist, etc.) but taking myself out of that and into the realm of potential partner, the big question in my mind would be HOW did you contract the virus. It is very rare for a man to get it from a woman. Men are almost always infected through MSM activity or injection drug use. Those would be the red flags for me. Not the infection itself since I know with ARV meds and circumcision you can reduce your chance of transmission to almost zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,432,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All happiness and peace comes from within.
No. Not all. We are a social species - and as such much of our happiness is contingent on those around us. Not all - maybe not even most - but much. While a line likes yours might impress people breifly out of a fortune cooking in a restaurant or something - it does not hold up to reality in many ways.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
No. Not all. We are a social species - and as such much of our happiness is contingent on those around us. Not all - maybe not even most - but much. While a line likes yours might impress people breifly out of a fortune cooking in a restaurant or something - it does not hold up to reality in many ways.
It's actually true.

Reflected Sense of Self Versus Solid Sense of Self «

Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,432,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I do not think anything is "true" when it comes to happiness. Hapiness is an amalgamation of inputs - including that from other people - as we are inescapably a social species. The numbers of people who have gone into caves to complete solitude and come out happy are interesting but far from significant. The vast majority of our species derive happiness from many sources - including those around us.

"Hapiness comes from within" is a nice fortune cookie throw away phrase - and indeed much work can be done on that terrain to cultivate happiness. But throw away phrases that "all" happiness comes from within are just designed to sound deep - while saying nothing useful or true at all.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

"Hapiness comes from within" is a nice fortune cookie throw away phrase - and indeed much work can be done on that terrain to cultivate happiness. But throw away phrases that "all" happiness comes from within are just designed to sound deep - while saying nothing useful or true at all.
If you want to look at it that way. I prefer to look at the intent of the message.

Feeling satisfied within enables you to function better as a social species.

If you aren't, you find yourself on here lamenting that no one will date you.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,211,056 times
There's hardly if any "young women" who post on this board, its mostly older women which is why I laugh at those same women thinking their experts on younger women in 2013. If I'm 40 and married for example when exactly am I hanging out and interacting with women in that demographic? The vast majority of your friends are females in your age range(mid to late 30's and up)

I mean my mom is in her late 50's, the only time she interacts with a woman 18-25 is when she talks to my youngest sister who is 22 and they're certainly not talking about men, relationships, and sex

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 AM

So ... How many "older women" besides your mom do you hang out with to formulate this theory?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM

93 posts, read 147,032 times
Well, I had a neighbor who's son had just dropped out of college and came to live at home. He was bald, living at home, working at the front desk of a gym, didn't have his own car, and wasn't particularly smart. And yet he had a string of hot girlfriends until he married a beautiful woman who just graduated from law school. So go figure.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,935,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So ... How many "older women" besides your mom do you hang out with to formulate this theory?

Bingo! And how do you know everyone's life? What if this old bag works with the young demographic. And shockingly enough talks to people outside of her age. Gasp!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,747,607 times
Many of us have broken our own rules without any ill effects on the following relationship. Rules based on observation and experience are one thing. Rules based on "nice ideas" or ideals are worth testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships