Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, and FTR, any man I'd marry would know better than to buy me a diamond. I don't want blood on my hands. If you're going to spend a wad of cash on a diamond, just send it directly to Joseph Kony and be done with it.
Diamonds are overpriced paperweights. A totally manipulated market to fleece the fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What?? Why would someone refuse a proposal based solely on the price of the engagement ring?
Believe it or not, this really is a "thing" in the minds of many people.

I would be hard pressed to identify anything better symbolic of what a sham modern western culture can be.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Diamonds are overpriced paperweights. A totally manipulated market to fleece the fools.
All retail goods are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them. If one pays the going rate or less, one is not being "fleeced."

One is merely paying what the market allows.

Now, whether the markets are artificially manipulated is a whole other discussion that has little to do with the OP's question.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM

OP?

It's an expensive piece of jewelry. Whether you spend 3k or 30k? It's not cheap.

The only considerations should be what you can pay and what you are willing to pay.

You are with a woman whose friends have higher-end engagement rings. It is not odd that she might desire something similar.

It is, however, unrealistic of her to expect this sort of ring from you if it simply is not in your budget.

That aspect of her personality should be a red flag to you (assuming a more expensive ring is indeed out of your price range).

If, however, you make as much money (and have the means) to purchase her a ring that is similar to the ones that her circle of engaged/married friends wear, and you simply do not WANT to spend the money on the ring?

I suggest you reconsider this woman and this relationship.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I agree with much of what you say here, but I would not be so quick to write any of this off as merely "low class and materialistic."

Many younger women are simply that. Young.

They are very much caught up in peer groups and image. It's not because they are horrible people.

I think that is an oversimplification.

And that loss/theft thing? This is why we insure our valuables.
Thanks, but I do understand how insurance works.

It would still be the shock of a lifetime to lose, or have stolen, any item worth tens of thousands of dollars - especially a wedding ring. At least it would be for me.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM

I don't need to hear the market theories needed to justify people's buying decsions thank you. Diamonds are a dirty business. Why people support it is beyond me.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks, but I do understand how insurance works.

It would still be the shock of a lifetime to lose, or have stolen, any item worth tens of thousands of dollars - especially a wedding ring. At least it would be for me.
Well, naturally.

I'd be alarmed to lose a wedding ring, regardless of the cost.

I guess that's why I don't think it matters that it is more expensive. Lost is lost.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but the diamonds I am wearing were mined about 80 years ago.

And they're absolutely beautiful. But to each his or her own.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I don't need to hear the market theories needed to justify people's buying decsions thank you. Diamonds are a dirty business. Why people support it is beyond me.
And that has what to do with the OP?

He clearly has no issue with buying a diamond... Merely the financial expectations of his intended.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, naturally.

I'd be alarmed to lose a wedding ring, regardless of the cost.

I guess that's why I don't think it matters that it is more expensive. Lost is lost.
OK, whatever you say.

Personally, I'd be dismayed by the loss of ANY wedding band. But I'd be horrified and shocked and probably have to go to bed for half a day if I lost anything - a wedding band or an autographed letter from Abraham Lincoln or a piece of machinery - that cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships