Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but the diamonds I am wearing were mined about 80 years ago.

And they're absolutely beautiful. But to each his or her own.
Eh. They were likely a dirty business then, too.

That said, I love estate jewelry. Your descriptions of your ring sound lovely.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Eh. They were likely a dirty business then, too.

That said, I love estate jewelry. Your descriptions of your ring sound lovely.
Thank you - I really do love it. I don't care for ostentatious, "busy" jewelry of any sort, but I do like quality and I love for something to be unique.

I would really encourage anyone to check out vintage/antique/estate jewelry sources when looking for any sort of jewelry!

As for diamond mining being a dirty business 80 years ago - who knows? Mining IS dirty.

But, the political outrage over diamond mining, as in the movie "Blood Diamond" is because in the mid to late twentieth century (to present time), private companies have been funding African revolutionaries in exchange for mining privileges. This is not a situation that has been going on for a particularly long time. Yet another reason for people to consider purchasing antique stones rather than stones mined more recently. It is estimated that 2-3 percent of diamonds sold today are "conflict diamonds" (ie, "blood diamonds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,406,846 times
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but where are you at financially, other than making six figures?
Do you own a home, have no debt etc?
I'm only asking because if you are considering dropping a ton of dough on a ring, but not secure financially, than 3k might be a good starting point with the plan on upping it in the future.

I just got engaged last weekend and make six figures so I'm in a similar situation.

3k sadly doesn't go very far depending on the type of ring she wants. Probably less than a carat if she wants a solitaire. I went with something a little over twice that price, she loves it, her friends love it and shes very happy. She was willing to have me get a fake diamond just so we could get engaged too, so this was a big surprise for her. It was more than I wanted to spend but we are in a good situation financially.

I'd take her ring shopping and see what she likes then go from there. Shop a bunch of stores, try to find a sale etc.

While it shouldn't matter what the price is... 3k is a little on the low side if you're making six figures.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,751,970 times
Stingy people are hard to live with, no matter what rocks a woman may want to dig for in a relationship. The pattern is usually very evident. Is this part of the pattern, or a one-off incident?

Last edited by Frihed89; 07-31-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Believe it or not, this really is a "thing" in the minds of many people.

I would be hard pressed to identify anything better symbolic of what a sham modern western culture can be.
Please don't judge our entire western culture by the acts of some self-involved, entitled, immature 20-somethings

Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,227,196 times
I suggest you research moissanite lol... has more clarity and sparkle than a diamond but made in a laboratory.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM

11,819 posts, read 12,072,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - I really do love it. I don't care for ostentatious, "busy" jewelry of any sort, but I do like quality and I love for something to be unique.

I would really encourage anyone to check out vintage/antique/estate jewelry sources when looking for any sort of jewelry!

As for diamond mining being a dirty business 80 years ago - who knows? Mining IS dirty.

But, the political outrage over diamond mining, as in the movie "Blood Diamond" is because in the mid to late twentieth century (to present time), private companies have been funding African revolutionaries in exchange for mining privileges. This is not a situation that has been going on for a particularly long time. Yet another reason for people to consider purchasing antique stones rather than stones mined more recently. It is estimated that 2-3 percent of diamonds sold today are "conflict diamonds" (ie, "blood diamonds).
Or buy a Canadian mined diamond! Mine is!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Diamonds are overpriced paperweights. A totally manipulated market to fleece the fools.
Aye.

FWIW, before I knew about blood diamonds--because let's face it, most Americans don't know because of said manipulated market--when my ex proposed, it was a .24 nearly flawless marquis-cut diamond that cost him about $1,200. (Call me out of style, but I liked marquis cut.) That was plenty for me, as I have small, girly hands with thin piano fingers and I cannot stand ostentation. Anything over a carat looks like this to me, especially because half the time people confuse size for quality (as with other things in life!):

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM

11,819 posts, read 12,072,337 times
It's also worth noting that the appraised value of a ring and the purchase price of a ring are not the same thing. And if you buy from a wholesaler, you get better prices than retail stores.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,214,667 times
The Cracker Jack Ring | Tales from the Mind of SnB

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships