Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

I couldn't be with anyone who was against same sex marriage, was adamantly pro-life, or thought that religion should be taught in public schools. I have many friends and family members that are gay - so I could never be with someone who thought they shouldn't be allowed to get married. I doubt I could date someone that thought they should have a say so in what other women did with their body. And I'm not religious and actually have many issues with organized religion - so dating someone who thought it should be taught in public schools... Well, I doubt someone that felt that way would be interested in me in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
This is the same problem I had on OKCupid -- for so many questions, what I care about is the reasoning, not the checkbox answer.

Because what I care about are the person's values, and their ability to think rationally.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
I also agree 100% with Allen's post -- I am very religious, but hypothetically dating an atheist or politically-liberal woman would be absolutely no problem at all, for me.

Great post there and very well-said, Allen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, most conservative Christians I know believe Christians should only marry other believers, based on the 'you should not be unequally yoked' passage.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Interesting, most conservative Christians I know believe Christians should only marry other believers, based on the 'you should not be unequally yoked' passage.
Eh. I know plenty of people that call themselves "Christians" that aren't really even fans of going to church. Non-Christians have so many weird assumptions about Christians.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
My favorite is: "can you explain Kant's categorical imperative to me"?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
I could never be with a Michelle malkin/Ann coulter type of conservative/republican

But an SE Cupp conservative, or an abby huntsman republican...? Why not. And just to be clear I'm not talking about looks

Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Eh. I know plenty of people that call themselves "Christians" that aren't really even fans of going to church. Non-Christians have so many weird assumptions about Christians.
Well I'm a liberal Christian and grew up in a somewhat conservative home, went to fairly conservative churches.etc and from Christian friends this is the sentiment most commonly expressed. I think Christians who aren't regularly churchgoers are less likely to have a problem dating an atheist/agnostic or someone of another religion. It probably happens more in countries with a small Christian minority.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Say you meet a man/woman who seems attractive, and you get to talking about your views on various controversial issues...I'm curious, if he/she disagreed with you on them, which ones (list all that would be deal breakers) would automatically write them off?

Is communism a better alternative to capitalism?

Affirmative action is a good idea

Should more money be put into the public school system?

Should we have universal healthcare?

The environment should be sacrificed for economic progress

Should immigration laws be relaxed?

Is global warming/climate change real?

Should we have the death penalty for murder? treason? rape of a minor? rape? drug trafficking?

Should law enforcement officers be tougher or more lenient on offenders?

Should same-sex marriage be legal?

Should women have the right to an abortion on demand for any reason?

Should religious education be taught in school?

Should hunting for sport be legal?

Should marijuana be legalized?

The United State's involvement in Iraq was justified

If it's part of their culture, and the animals are killed humanely, people should be allowed to eat dogs

A man should always pay for the date

Boys and girls should be treated the same

votes/supports another political party than you do

I thought it'd be easier to phrase them as questions. You can indicate your responses if you wish. Please focus on how their answers would reflect on them as a person in your eyes, and how that would affect how compatible you think they'd be.
#1. We fought against the king of England right?
#2. I don't like this because it should be based on skill not race or ethnicity.
#3. Get rid of the unions then there would be more money/teachers should not have to pay for their work to stay open/more taxes should not have to pay unless you want the gov't in our schools more.
#4. I have mixed feelings on this but healthcare needs to be fixed some how.
#5. No the environment needs to stop being sacrificed! What's this crap about getting new electronics all the time. This is polluting more waters bec of the incorrect way they are dismantled. Plus the rainforest is our huge supply of Oxygen. We need it!!!
#6. Death penalty should be for extreme cases. Neuter repeat offenders of rape. Drug trafficking let them work at fastfood joints. Make us all cook at home. Lol
#7.Depends on the crime. C'mon.
#8. I'm for them. They are humans and should be treated like us.
#9. Pro-choice(but repeat offenders need to knock it off)
#10. Noooooooo!
#11. License to hunt. Could you imagine some of those men!? A few were too close to schools. (What you couldn't see the big building that said school?)
#12. I don't want to date a chiba smoking papa. Lol
#13. Only partially. Lot's coming out about shenanigans.
#14. I have mixed feelings on this. I love my doggies .
#15. He shouldn't have to. But all my dates did.
#16. Not entirely. I still like the car door open for me or a door. And let's face it women have the babies. Our bodies are different. But as far as getting the job done with one's skill the pay should be the same.
#17. Eh I've seen opposite parties make it work as long as they are not extremist.

To answer the big question- Only some would tick me off and not make us match well. I think if you are political and aware of the news it helps.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times
my only real deal breaker there would be opposing universal healthcare

depending on exactly how the question was phrased, same sex marriage, death penalty, and climate change could be deal breakers as well

e.g. if you thought gays should be treated differently in a legal sense, that minor drug offenders or some 19 yr old who slept with a 16 yr old should be executed, or that climate change didn't exist, that would be a deal breaker

the others i have strong opinions about, but wouldn't necessarily dismiss someone who disagreed with me especially if they had a well thought out opinion

i hope this thread doesn't degenerate

Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I don't know as any of them would be as long as he accepted that my views differ.

Lack of respect for me and my opinions would be the deal breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The why behind the opinion is infinitely more important than the opinion.

For example, if you told me "affirmative action sucks" because it rewards lazy people vs affirmative action sucks because it doesn't' get to the root cause of achievement disparities.

I am going to have a wildly different view of perception on whether or not it is a deal breaker.
These are important for me as well. I have my reasons for my beliefs and you have yours, neither are right or wrong. As ling as he respects me and doesn't force his opinions on me, I'm good.

I'm clearly not on the conservative side of things, so someone who is probably wouldn't be a great match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships