Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM

31,359 posts, read 22,341,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGunnar View Post
I did this once and the guy was extremely turned off and upset with me. He would have preferred that I let him be a man, and court me properly including paying for me. So I learned from that and I let them all be men and court me properly

They pay my way and I provide them with good company and sweetly show my gratitude.
Pretty much the way it is for traditional men. If your poor or in college, go dutch, or have a working GF pick up the tab. Cheap guys are a different story. Same as cheap women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM

302 posts, read 304,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolitaAvenue View Post
Guys, how would you react if a woman you're dating always wants to go dutch and never wants you to pay for her?

I'm just curious as I would definitely act like this if I were dating someone. (Minus the "I'm independent speech"). Is it a turn off?
I always pay, no matter what. Even if the woman insists, I won't listen. Usually when the woman is being insistent, I'll get up to use the restroom and slip my credit card to the server. I'm an old fashioned guy and that's the way it's done.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,682,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Will I am a guy and you would be wrong. What does who pays have to do with romance?
I have split the bill and also paid the entire bill on dates. I just think splitting the bill ALL THE TIME wouldn't feel very romantic to me, so I wouldn't do it.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
I prefer to alternate once I am regularly dating someone. On my date with the crush on Friday night, I let him get dinner without arguing because I know he likes to pick up the check and we hadn't seen each other in a long time. When we moved on to the bar for drinks though, I insisted on paying. The dude had just gone through major financial issues, had driven across town to see me when he was exhausted from working two jobs that week, and he had just bought our dinner.

When I go out with him, I always offer to pay my share, and he inevitably refuses. I occasionally politely insist that I pick up the whole dinner tab though. It's not really a sexist "paying for the little lady" thing with him though - his father was kind of a deadbeat, and I think he takes stuff like that very seriously.

Not sure how this will pan out if we keep seeing each other.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM

151 posts, read 211,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have split the bill and also paid the entire bill on dates. I just think splitting the bill ALL THE TIME wouldn't feel very romantic to me, so I wouldn't do it.
I don't get this "romance" argument. If you enjoy someone's company, isn't that enough?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,682,798 times
Quote:
I don't get this "romance" argument. If you enjoy someone's company, isn't that enough?
If it's enough for you, great. I just think it's nicer to be treated and to treat others instead of splitting bills.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM

20 posts, read 37,170 times
Quote:
If it's with my bf of 4th months, I don't mind that. We already know each other and enjoy our company. If it's with a new guy I'm meeting for the first time and took all my time getting dressed up then he better at least put some effort.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,699,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene89 View Post
No, extremists killed the order of things... people that can't understand the term balanced. They go for either extremes from overly doing it with an elaborate and expensive date or going totally dutch. No one is asking for either of them but how about a normal, simple date (for example: the movies or cafe)?
Or maybe no one cares about the order of things. The extremist are loud but they are not the norm. Even then if they want completely elaborate and expensive dates or want super dutch they can do what they please. You have every right not to date them as they have to do their extreme and super whatever but honestly those numbers are small.

Personally I don't put much stock in "normal"
For example I hate movie dates you can't talk, you don't know what kind of movie the other person will like, the set up is way to impersonal in the attempt to get to know someone and I hate coffee so I would not know of any cafe place unless she suggested it.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,829,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post

Again the fundamentalist friend who acts in a way (i.e. gets offended and doesn't speak with you after paying on nth hangout) that 99%+ guys wouldn't act.
Oh yeah, I know. That's why I said (prefaced my example) it's different for everyone. I was just pointing out one extreme really--mainly because it's interesting. I have yet to run into the other extreme though (never met a guy that insisted on Dutch or insisted I pay) so it's hard to talk about that.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM

31,359 posts, read 22,341,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
I always pay, no matter what. Even if the woman insists, I won't listen. Usually when the woman is being insistent, I'll get up to use the restroom and slip my credit card to the server. I'm an old fashioned guy and that's the way it's done.
I don't think many people get this. It doesn't even have to be discussed. It's about tradition and a man being able to take care of things. A woman can do this too if she wants.

When I was young and we would get together, My Grand Father would always pick up the tab. When I was a Teen my Dad or my Uncles would pick it up. They all made close to the same money, so they would do the "slip the Card to the waiter early in the night trick. Winner got to pay the bill.

So of course, as i became an adult and became successful it's my turn. And I love doing the "slip the card to the waiter trick" and beating out my Brother or cousins. Same thing when dating, I take care of it. Now if she made more than me, it may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships