Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,375,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I may have actually had a forbearance because it was short-lived. And that would explain the interest.
Yeah. Forbearance sucks.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,135,026 times
35K isn't that much debt especially if she has a decent degree now. But I'd be concerned about marrying someone who was okay sitting on the couch watching sitcoms all day knowing there's 35K of debt coming their way. She could surely work at Starbucks or a book store, or some other type of job to at least bring in some income while she looks for full time work in her field. I would only defer my loans if I was in desperate circumstances such as a life threatening illness - otherwise, might as well suck it up and do something to start making those payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM

702 posts, read 728,920 times
She could work retail or as a waitress or do anything at all. She could volunteer at the soup kitchen during the day at least so she won't have a giant hole in her resume.

It sounds like she thinks that she got a degree in teaching so she has to teach or else she won't do anything at all.

She needs a wake up call.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM

599 posts, read 955,548 times
I knew a guy years ago who was in the exact same boat as you, although his GF didn't have anywhere near $35K in debt. After getting her degree she was always looking for the "perfect" job while being happy sitting on the couch most of the day. He tried incrementally giving her incentives to work - he refused to take her to restaurants after a while, then he refused to give her gas money and made her start walking places, and so on. She just wanted to be married and be a housewife. That was her dream. He told her he wasn't interested in that kind of relationship, at least not for several years when they were more established.

Guess what?

She went off the pill without telling him and became pregnant on purpose.

I won't even bother telling you what happened after that.

Don't be that guy.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,391,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
That's something that she has to do get on her own. Students loans are set up to pay off over a long period of time so yes she will have debt but will probably have to it pay off over the next 10 years. Encourage her to take the lower paid position but continue looking.

FYI my friend finished law school with loans that exceeded $100,000.00, He is a partner in a law firm but will be paying those loan for the next 30 years.
If hes a good lawyer he wont take long to pay those off. If he puts 30k a year towards them they'll be gone in 3.5 yrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 5,268,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
That's something that she has to do get on her own. Students loans are set up to pay off over a long period of time so yes she will have debt but will probably have to it pay off over the next 10 years. Encourage her to take the lower paid position but continue looking.

FYI my friend finished law school with loans that exceeded $100,000.00, He is a partner in a law firm but will be paying those loan for the next 30 years.
30 years? Wheres he working at, McDonalds?

Making payments of $2000 a month (which shouldnt be hard at all for a partner in a law firm living beneath his means....no Lexus, no half a million dollar home) gets that loan paid off in less than 5 years. Then its all gravy.

Who takes 30 years to pay off a school loan?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM

39,401 posts, read 27,784,869 times
I still think op should give this girl a chance.

It takes a while for a relatively younger person to figure out the direction of her life. Just because she is not doing anything right now, it doesn't mean she is not planning for her future. Maybe she just needs a little motivation and encouragement.

Life is unpredictable at best. What if you become unemployed someday, you would expect your so to be there for you right?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,391,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Life is unpredictable at best. What if you become unemployed someday, you would expect your so to be there for you right?
If I became unemployed I would just find some cute asian artist in LA to support me, obviously. :P

Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM

39,401 posts, read 27,784,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If I became unemployed I would just find some cute asian artist in LA to support me, obviously. :P

Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM

809 posts, read 1,277,422 times
If 35K is a big deal, there's a lot of poor people here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships