Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What basis could a burger flipper have for confidence in himself? Seems to me that such confidence would probably be based outside of reality.

If the Burger Flipper is under 23 then it shouldn't be a issue. Now if he is over 25 then he is a loser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If the Burger Flipper is under 23 then it shouldn't be a issue. Now if he is over 25 then he is a loser

So then a burger flipper over 25 has no valid reason to have confidence, and therefore any such confidence would be feigned fakery. Is there a fix for this?

Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
So then a burger flipper over 25 has no valid reason to have confidence, and therefore any such confidence would be feigned fakery.
I think it depends. Is he a burger flipper at some fast food place, or a burger flipper at an actual restaurant? I know a few guys who flip burgers at Five Guys or In N Out and they don't seem to have problems with attracting women. Now, if it was McDonalds or Burger King....that may be a little different.

I think it also depends on what his goals are. If he's working there because they work around his school schedule or if it's temporary then that's fine...if he's content with being a burger flipper at McDonalds for the rest of his life then that's just going to be a huge mismatch in priorities and goals for me.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,227,763 times
Quote:
What basis could a burger flipper have for confidence in himself? Seems to me that such confidence would probably be based outside of reality.
You'd be surprised. In the environment I grew up in I've seen guys with nothing going for themselves suffer from no lack of female attention (typically these aren't the brightest women in the world). Many of them are either wannabe thugs or stoners with no job living in their mom's house or drug dealers. Maybe it's their f**k it attitude IDK.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-31-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
i'd agree that to an extent, confidence is overrated when it comes to attracting women.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it depends. Is he a burger flipper at some fast food place, or a burger flipper at an actual restaurant? I know a few guys who flip burgers at Five Guys or In N Out and they don't seem to have problems with attracting women. Now, if it was McDonalds or Burger King....that may be a little different.

I think it also depends on what his goals are. If he's working there because they work around his school schedule or if it's temporary then that's fine...if he's content with being a burger flipper at McDonalds for the rest of his life then that's just going to be a huge mismatch in priorities and goals for me.

What if he's not content with being a burger flipper at McDonald's for the rest of his life but can't afford to go to school?

Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You'd be surprised. In the environment I grew up in I've seen guys with nothing going for themselves suffer from no lack of female attention (typically these aren't the brightest women in the world). Many of them are either wannabe thugs and gangsters with no job living in their mom's house or drug dealers. Maybe it's their f**k it attitude IDK.

Sounds like the burger flipper mismatch I described earlier - what is attainable you don't want, and what you want is not attainable.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
A creative writing professor once said that good writing comes from pain. So it is with threads. There is no story without a conflict, and no conflict without a story. Whiny threads appear to be man vs environment, but they are really man vs self.
So much truth here lol.

Quote:
It's more complicated than that, but the short version is that as an educated burger flipper, I experience an unbridgeable gulf of mutual attraction. I am uninterested in the women who are attracted to me - undereducated, low income often with kids - and the women to whom I am attracted (better educated) are uninterested in me. There is no app for this.

Kinda like a bad joke that was circulating in the early '90s, about how there were two kinds of jobs available, jobs you don't want and jobs you can't get.
Maybe I'm happy in my relationship because I value different things than what it seems almost everyone else here does.

I am 25 and my gf is 19. When her parents introduced us she worked at mcdonalds and actually loved it. She loved it because she took pride in doing a good job and being a good employee. After that she worked at a bank and then as a secretary. I travel for work and she comes with me. Sometimes she works, sometimes she doesnt. Right now were like 45 mins from a decent city so no real sense in her working.

I value how caring and trusting she is. I dont trust many people but she has it 100%

I value how caring of a person she is. All of her younger relatives call her "nanna" and basically flock to her like their second mother. Because of this and how she takes care of them there is no doubt that she will be an absolutely amazing mother. Thats huge to me. I

Shes one of the most appreciative girls I have ever met.

Even though she doesn't work now, she has no bills and doesn't spend, even though I added her to my credit card acct and got her a card in her name.

She loves to cook, clean, and just overall help out a ton. She workouts with me all the time too

I could go on but you get the picture. .

Some guys seem way into just education or money. Ive dated doctors and other girls that made good money. That is maybe 10% of whats important to me. Without stuff like I mentioned above or common interests it doesn't matter. I don't believe everyone will find EVERYTHING. I make enough to not really stress or worry about money so I guess that helps too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,366,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
Guys who do well with women tend to be confident, but that doesn't mean it's because of their confidence. In my opinion, it's because confident guys tend to be good looking. The reason they developed their immense confidence with women is because they know women are sexually attracted to them.

But, let's say it's true that confidence in and of itself is an attractive feature. Then good looking guys automatically have a big advantage because they are perceived as confident, especially if they're tall. This makes for cyclic increase of confidence and success with women.

Be good looking ---> get validation from women ---> develop confidence as a result ---> be even more attractive because you're confident ---> get even more validation from women ----> etc.

The opposite is

Be bad looking ---> get no validation from women ---> develop low self-esteem ---> be unattractive in part because of your low self-esteem ---> get even less validation ---> etc.
Hmmm, this thread seems familiar and yet the forum says it was created yesterday.

Anyway, I agree that there has to be some foundation for confidence. A lot of times, the foundation is appearances. However, there are other things you can build like talent.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
What if he's not content with being a burger flipper at McDonald's for the rest of his life but can't afford to go to school?
If he can't figure out a way to pay for school then he obviously doesn't have a lot of motivation. Considering burger flippers don't get paid a lot of money, he probably qualifies for a crap ton of needs based financial aid or grants, plus he can spend time applying for scholarships. He could also start out at a community college and work his way towards a University or even go to technical school to get a certificate. Most of the aircraft mechanics I know basically went to school for free because there are a lot of technical grants out there they took advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships