Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,926,400 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Off topic and orphaned.

The OP just wanted to know about whether or not we have to be in agreement with our partners on this subject.

I think there can be disagreement between couples as long as there is still respect for the other person's right to have a different point of view.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,204,777 times
Yes, their view on abortion matters. Any "hard view" that disregards the seriousness of the issue is definitely a red flag in the person's fundamental values.

For example, a partner can be pro-choice in different ways:
* recognizes the complexity of the issue and is sympathetic to the female
* thinks it's no big deal and says if you have an "oops" you can just get rid of it
* says if there's an "oops" you HAVE to get rid of it (basically making the decision for the female)

A partner can be pro-life:
* Thinks preserving life is preferable
* Says government should decide for women (again, removing the woman's choice)
* Participates in violent demonstrations/acts against abortion

A person's view on abortion is very telling about how they walk thru life. A partner doesn't have to match my view, but their tone on the issue is very important.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,501,202 times
I'm fine with different views on this, as long as they're not extremists one way or the other, though I would prefer to be with someone who shares my views on most of the hot issues of the times. I don't want to be involved with a placard carrying protester of any stripe when it comes to this issue.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,105,618 times
Quote:
I don't think I could be with someone who is staunchly pro life because I'm not ready for children right now and if there was a mistake, there is a strong change I would choose to abort.
Plus, he might see it as you having killed his kid. In one extreme example a guy killed the woman's other kid later on, but that's an extreme example. But you wouldn't want to earn someone's intense hatred as a general rule.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,105,618 times
Quote:
I suspect it is more of a dealbreaker for women than men. If you are a pro-choice woman, it would be hard to see eye to eye with a man who does not respect her right to make decisions about her own body, especially because that view of women as needing to be controlled can manifest in lots of different ways.
The OP expressly asked not to make it about the moral merits of abortion, but of course some people can't resist.
Who the heck said it was about controlling women? The only people who ever claim its about controlling women are the one's who AREN'T actually making the claim. Mod cut: Off topic.

WHere in that is there a hint of me wanting to "control women"?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

I think this is why it's often times better to date someone who is on the same page about social issues. I couldn't deal with having a discussion like this with the person I was dating.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM

36,806 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Is your partners views on abortion important to you? Is it a dealbreaker if they
have different views?
Since there is no way I could get pregnant I wouldn't much about my partners view on abortion. Its ok to disagree. If there were any chance I could become pregnant I would want to be on the same page in case it ever became a personal issue.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I believe around 50% of children are unplanned...it might even be more. I was an unplanned birth control baby and in all seriousness my parents probably should not have had me. Luckily, it all worked out in the end

I think it's up to the parents, obviously, and it's something that should be discussed prior to having sex. If you can't discuss your opinions on child rearing and pregnancy or birth control, you probably shouldn't be having sex with that person.
Preach it, sister.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I believe around 50% of children are unplanned...it might even be more. I was an unplanned birth control baby and in all seriousness my parents probably should not have had me. Luckily, it all worked out in the end

I think it's up to the parents, obviously, and it's something that should be discussed prior to having sex. If you can't discuss your opinions on child rearing and pregnancy or birth control, you probably shouldn't be having sex with that person.
And I'd go so far as to say that if you can't imagine sharing parenthood with another person, you shouldn't be engaging in activities that may lead to parenthood with that person.

People need to be more "particular."

Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,319,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I'd go so far as to say that if you can't imagine sharing parenthood with another person, you shouldn't be engaging in activities that may lead to parenthood with that person.

People need to be more "particular."
So, only people who want children should be allowed to have sex?!?!??!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships