Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,368,587 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned.

Aside from my own personal opinions on abortion, I believe that the THREAD is about whether or not agreeing on abortion is a requirement in a relationship.

The issue becomes important when a pregnancy results, and one person wants to allow the baby to be born, and another person wants to terminate the pregnancy. It's a bit awkward when the child is desired by one party and not desired by the other. Do you think that just because one party isn't willing to be a parent, that the pregnancy should be terminated?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The deeper issue isn’t necessarily one’s views on abortion, but the context of those views; in other words, the world-view from which stems one’s set of opinions on “social issues” such as abortion. I would have difficulty forming and sustaining an intimate relationship with a women whose world-view profoundly diverged from my own. Presumably the topic of world-view would arise early in the dating cycle, under the context of religion (or lack thereof) and philosophy.
Right, and in a perfect world, people who don't share the same values and goals wouldn't be doing the wild thing together with reckless abandon!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So, only people who want children should be allowed to have sex?!?!??!
You can do whatever you want with your sexual organs as long as you're not infringing on the rights of others.

But to answer your question, no, I didn't say that and I don't mean that. If I did believe that (which I don't), then my husband and I couldn't have sex.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So if you were raped you'd just chalk it up to Gods will and keep it moving?
I would never chalk a rape up to "God's will." I don't claim to understand the mind or will of God.

I have been raped, by the way. And if a pregnancy had resulted from that rape, I would have carried the child to term and probably given it up for adoption.

That would have been my personal choice.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,598,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I was reading another thread where some posters said it was a dealbreaker if their partner had different views than them on being pro-choice or pro-life. I was stunned because that should be like #400 on the list of things of partners you should be looking at. I would never dump an otherwise quality girl because her views on abortion is different. I don't care about the issue enough where her views on it matter.

Is your partners views on abortion important to you? Is it a dealbreaker if they have different views?

Note: Please DO NOT make this a thread about the merits or legality of abortion. That's not what this thread is about. I don't want this thread to turn into a political pro choice or pro life thread. Just focus on how you would view a potential partner who had different views on abortion.
I'd wear a condom for a longer time into the relationship, but that's probably it...
but if she is against so much that she's like ultra religiously against, and demands me to share that opinion, then it can become an issue.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM

211 posts, read 374,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I was reading another thread where some posters said it was a dealbreaker if their partner had different views than them on being pro-choice or pro-life. I was stunned because that should be like #400 on the list of things of partners you should be looking at. I would never dump an otherwise quality girl because her views on abortion is different. I don't care about the issue enough where her views on it matter.

Is your partners views on abortion important to you? Is it a dealbreaker if they have different views?

Note: Please DO NOT make this a thread about the merits or legality of abortion. That's not what this thread is about. I don't want this thread to turn into a political pro choice or pro life thread. Just focus on how you would view a potential partner who had different views on abortion.
It is important, however I feel best if my gf isnt set in either way but we can come to a conscious decision together.

And.. I would never want to date a hard pro lifer. Thats an odd turnoff for me. I think the woman always has the right to choose.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,065,225 times
This is moot because I have a partner and know his position on the subject but yes, it would be important to me because a.) I'd have an abortion if I was faced with an unwanted pregnancy and b.) I'd have a hard time respecting someone who was against the notion of women making healthcare decisions about their bodies.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times

The question is if you care about a potential partner's view on abortion - not why you think it's wrong or right.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times

This thread wasn't supposed to be a debate about abortion - although some people keep voicing their opinions on it. It was more about compatibility and why it's important to you. To me, social issues are very important and I would have a hard time being with someone who disagreed with me. I've never dated anyone who was against the issues that I'm for - so it's never been a point of contention.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Snip. This thread wasn't supposed to be a debate about abortion - although some people keep voicing their opinions on it. It was more about compatibility and why it's important to you. To me, social issues are very important and I would have a hard time being with someone who disagreed with me. I've never dated anyone who was against the issues that I'm for - so it's never been a point of contention.
Right on.

I have a close friend who was dating someone and an unplanned pregnancy occurred. He did not want the woman to have an abortion, but she insisted. He paid for the abortion and then immediately regretted it. To this day, he is haunted by this series of events, and I've seen him break down in tears crying over it.

See, they never talked about "what if" till "what if" occurred. He could have saved himself a lot of grief and guilt and regret if he'd restricted his dating ( and sexual activity) to a partner who shared the same values.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships