Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Not true. Some guys dont mean to turn women off, and they are decent people, but they are awkward, they dont realize they are doing things wrong and no one tells them. This is why there so many guys that are single and angry about it. Problem is they do no research to figure out what they are doing wrong.
What really sucks is that people around them wont be honest and tell them.
Who's responsibility is it to fix their behaviour?

Who is it who "means" for them to be single?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:59 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Some men, just like some women, won't have their expectations met. I don't say that to imply that their expectations are unrealistic. Some people's are, but some people won't have their understandable needs met in terms of a relationship.

That's not meant to be in the sense that some people are inevitably going to be alone. I do think some people will face significant challenges to finding a partner, and a few unhelpful circumstances or bad luck added to those challenges can result in them remaining alone.

Last edited by homina12; 09-27-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 PM

18 posts, read 10,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
I'm 23 years old, been single for 5 years and from the looks of things, It's gonna be that way until I die. Don't get me wrong I don't hate women even though my experiences with them haven't been good. I always hear this saying "Man wasn't meant to be alone." I feel that I'm meant to be alone in this life. I don't believe there is a woman out there for me at all, it doesn't make me sad I just accept it. I've never even approached a woman or asked one out, It's scary so I don't try. I will not have a girlfriend, will never have sex, will not get married, and will never had kids (I had a vascetomy already). Are some men just meant to be alone?

You lost me at 'I'm 23 years old'

Old 09-27-2018, 01:17 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
I'm 23 years old, been single for 5 years and from the looks of things, It's gonna be that way until I die. Don't get me wrong I don't hate women even though my experiences with them haven't been good. I always hear this saying "Man wasn't meant to be alone." I feel that I'm meant to be alone in this life. I don't believe there is a woman out there for me at all, it doesn't make me sad I just accept it. I've never even approached a woman or asked one out, It's scary so I don't try. I will not have a girlfriend, will never have sex, will not get married, and will never had kids (I had a vascetomy already). Are some men just meant to be alone?

Lazarus thread, I realize. But....

1. Yes, there are some men who will spend life alone. It's not because they are meant to be that way, but because they keep making dumb decisions that doom them to be that way. They are on the Relationship board by the boxcar. They keep offering up these dumb manifestos on What Women Want or What I Expect A Woman To Be and then are constantly baffled as to why they can't keep one happy. They keep marching ahead, committing the same manifestly stupid actions over and over again, but refuse to change so much as a millimeter.

2. If you are too timid to ask a woman out, then that's all on you. Women of all varieties dislike lack of confidence in a man. That doesn't mean you have to swagger. But it does mean that you actually have to have the basic testicles to talk to a woman and invite her to dinner.

3. You got a vasectomy? Hate to break it to you, but the large majority of women want to have kids at some point.

So, yeah, the OP might very well be one of those guys. But the use of the word 'meant' suggested a deterministic universe designed to make you lonely, when in truth you're the one choosing to be lonely with your passiveness and fear.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:12 PM

651 posts, read 408,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Some men, just like some women, won't have their expectations met. I don't say that to imply that their expectations are unrealistic. Some people's are, but some people won't have their understandable needs met in terms of a relationship.

That's not meant to be in the sense that some people are inevitably going to be alone. I do think some people will face significant challenges to finding a partner, and a few unhelpful circumstances or bad luck added to those challenges can result in them remaining alone.
This is very well put. Glad you said it

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Each person is responsible for their own life. We all make lifestyle choices, and these choices echo throughout our lives. Fortunately many lifestyle choices can be reversed (but sadly, not all of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I agree. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man has to know his limitations." But... You can change your limitations, you can work on self improvement. It's quite possible to take charge of your life and decide where you want it to go, and achieve whatever you want by adjusting your behavior.

If a person is alone and wishes to be with somebody, there are a variety of types of help available including introspection, church or temple or other religious help, psychologists and psychiatrists... Even this forum (lol). I've learned some pretty useful things about people, about my opposite gender, I've even learned by making friends here and discussing things in public and in private.

Nobody is "meant" to be alone, but if you are alone and don't want to be alone it's your responsibility to take the necessary steps and adjust your life and behavior and goals to achieve what you want.

There may be some people who have mental or physical problems who can't be helped, but IMO that is a very small part of humanity, and I think the vast majority of people can find love if they make the effort.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 630,146 times
honestly, its hard to want to become entangled with a female. Casual dating seems to be preferred. (I am 28). house owned, cars owned, etc. Good income, with the rates of marriage failing now a days and honestly prenups are getting thrown out more and more in courts. Can't ever see a reason to "marry". Casual dating will be the way of the future for the future generations.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:10 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Who is it who "means" for them to be single?
In a traditional society it is the family and village's job to teach it's children social order and constructs.

America has deviated too far from the natural tribe/village/clan grouping and this is why all of these "deviants" are appearing. Because society itself has deviated too far from it's natural biological setup of loosely inter-connected tribes and clans.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
honestly, its hard to want to become entangled with a female. Casual dating seems to be preferred. (I am 28). house owned, cars owned, etc. Good income, with the rates of marriage failing now a days and honestly prenups are getting thrown out more and more in courts. Can't ever see a reason to "marry". Casual dating will be the way of the future for the future generations.
Just to be accurate. Pre-nups are thrown out when Timothy P. Millionaire puts in $0 alimony and marries a broke waitress. If you get together with someone that earns the same income (more common these days obviously) their chance of getting alimony with a pre-nup is nil.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 630,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Just to be accurate. Pre-nups are thrown out when Timothy P. Millionaire puts in $0 alimony and marries a broke waitress. If you get together with someone that earns the same income (more common these days obviously) their chance of getting alimony with a pre-nup is nil.

All the females in my age bracket are those broke waitress's working at b dubs etc. Only the older ladies are financially stable, I am not rich, but I would fall into that trap. A lot of my peers are same way, not a chance we get married until we are basically old and dying. Dont be surprised to see this as a trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships