Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,597 times

Advertisements

Marriage requires a 100% commitment from BOTH parties, not a 50-50 that is so widely accepted in today's culture.

I believe we as a culture have lost the importance of what marriage stands for, and because of that don't feel it's a big deal to divorce over the smallest issues. Very sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I don't see the point in marriage at all. Why do you need to put a name on something? I don't plan on getting married, though if I find a life partner, that's fine. Susan Surandon and Tim Robbins have been together for almost 20 years without getting married. Ditto for Gene Simmons and his wife.

If I were to ever get married, I would not go into it without attending couples therapy and coming up with a prenup.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't see the point in marriage at all. Why do you need to put a name on something? I don't plan on getting married, though if I find a life partner, that's fine. Susan Surandon and Tim Robbins have been together for almost 20 years without getting married. Ditto for Gene Simmons and his wife.

If I were to ever get married, I would not go into it without attending couples therapy and coming up with a prenup.

Very wise....

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
on the institution of marriage.
a good post
you got rep
people did not change, morals did not change
the law changed
very specific
no fault divorce law (a state law but ran pretty much nationwide)
mid 1970's law
anti credit discrimination law of 1974 (federal law)
the combo of these 2 laws turned marriage from a limited partnership to an unlimited partnership changing the structure of marriage forever.
we as a people did not change our laws changed the social contract called marriage changed.
so now when people use an old term called "marriage" they use the same word but by it mean very different things (rip off from abraham lincoln speech at the lyceum)
people got smart and stopped going into this new type of marriage.
old folks got married under one set of law and got a divorce under a new set of laws.
this caused several things
enormous undeserved divorce settlements
massive increase in divorce
massive increase in adultry, now a no penalty contract violation
this all wreaked havoc on kids, by far the greatest victim of this fiasco.
most women are worse off 5 years after a divorce and most guys are better off
old baldy can be pretty useful for all his faults when it comes time to pay the bills and take out the trash. a middle aged "free" woman with a dwindling bank account, containing the last of the settlement usually has not much to show for herself bout 2 years after except maybe an empty pocketbook, some bill collectors (the remenant of her last few anger flings with the credit cards just after the divorce) and a too long list of departed boyfriends, not to mention alienated and confused children.
the affect on adolecent and teenage girls that do not have a positive male role model in the house is absolutely devastating.
the sky is cryin
(sing it)
sorry the post is a lil long and the opinions are a lil strong

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-20-2007 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
a good post
you got rep
the law changed
very specific
mid 1970's law
the combo of these 2 laws turned marriage from a limited partnership to an unlimited partnership changing the structure of marriage forever.
we as a people did not change our laws changed the social contract called marriage changed.
so now when people use an old term called "marriage" they use the same word but by it mean very different things (rip off from abraham lincoln speech at the lyceum)
old folks got married under one set of law and got a divorce under a new set of laws.
old baldy can be pretty useful for all his faults when it comes time to pay the bills and take out the trash. a middle aged "free" woman with a dwindling bank account, containing the last of the settlement usually has not much to show for herself bout 2 years after except maybe an empty pocketbook, some bill collectors (the remenant of her last few anger flings with the credit cards just after the divorce) and a too long list of departed boyfriends, not to mention alienated and confused children.
the affect on adolecent and teenage girls that do not have a positive male role model in the house is absolutely devastating.
the sky is cryin
(sing it)

Ummmm, I take issue with the part where you say women are worse off- some of us were the breadwinners- we are better off after divorce. I already have decent prospects This isnt 1950 ....Women in their 30'-60'ss are re-discovering dating, and men who aren't abusive. We are also 53% of the US population.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:35 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,077 times
I think these days marriage isn't so realistic. It used to be that marriage was just a social contract that bartered away women as consideration for the things men inherited from unrelated males.

These days women are increasingly better educated and, again, increasingly more educated than men. The desire to marry, the need to marry, simply isn't there.

Relationships come and go. I myself work with men all day; the last thing I want to do is come home to one. Every so often one comes into my life and there's maybe a fling or something, but I don't think I've ever seriously entertained the idea of keeping a male around for any extended period of time. What would I do with it?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
I wonder if other countries feel this same way. Or is this an American thing. I've always wanted to be married. Just never worked out that way.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Our responsibilites as men and women have changed as well as society as a whole. A piece of paper cannot provide the bond that keeps a couple together - it is the substance of the relationship that keep people together. Personally, I think men and women have too many responsibilites, work too many hours, and are driven into the ground by external stresses that takes it's toll on marriages and families. Our priorities are screwed up and people wonder why only half of all marriages make it.

Is marriage realistic today? Of course it is - but it's not for everyone. I don't think anyone should get married before the age of 25 - any earlier and you're just asking for it.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
a good post
you got rep
the law changed
very specific
mid 1970's law
the sky is cryin
(sing it)

how can the divorce rate be said to be so high, when most people are married? Look around, there are far more married adults from 18-99 than singles. Far more.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
divorcerate . org shows the statistics. They are extremely high in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships