Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
...so what did you get on his assignment? LOL

Thanks. I needed that!
It wasn't finished. I even did a connect the dots for him and he still didn't do it. I noticed it on the table after she came home from dropping off the kid at school. I thought she was going to smash that X-box or throw it over the balcony.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I can understand the anger because what the kid did were all stupid decisions.

That being said, if you were my mom, and expected A's and B's across my report cards, and did this same thing to me, I'd never had had any privileges in school.
LOL...yeah but I know what he is capable of and getting a D because he was too lazy to do the work is unacceptable. He's an honors student and had straight A's the first quarter. All last year mostly A's with a B here and there.

Not to mention, we ask him every single night..."did you do your homework? Do you have any tests or projects coming up??" and he flat out LIED. He's such a dumbass because I can check his assignments and grades online. It was just posted today and he has several zeros.

The punishment isn't just for the D. It's for lying and being a dumbass too.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Google plus? I haven't used that in ages.
Inorite? It's still there, though, and pretty darn cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You've actually been called out in a number of threads for your opinion since your hiatus.
Oh, golly! ::blush:: If you remember which ones, and if they still want to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hi NilaJ, nice to see you around, hope the new year has been good for you so far.
You too, TRosa!

@Sixy: Why is he doing this stuff? Is he able to articulate his reasons?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
@Sixy: Why is he doing this stuff? Is he able to articulate his reasons?
The child is very bright, but he does not care for reading and writing. His schedule is heavy because he's in all honors classes and plays travel hockey. I think he's just burnt. When I ask him why he didn't do the work I either get "I forgot" or "I don't know".

Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Oh, golly! ::blush:: If you remember which ones, and if they still want to know...
They are all locked of course.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:30 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,015,367 times
Quote:
It is taking all my energy not to injure my child right now. He has a D in English and the end of the quarter is Friday. With no assessments left, he's stuck with a D. NOT because he doesn't understand the content, that I can forgive to an extent, but because he didn't hand in assignments!

I just stripped him of everything in his world. Took away his phone and tablet, he has no access to the playstation, TV or computer (unless it's an assignment). If it plugs in, it's gone. There is no outside with friends and there are no school events (dances and crap) for the entire 3rd quarter. If his report card isn't all A's and B's next quarter, the punishment continues into the 4th quarter. I'm so F&*#%^@ pissed at him right now.

Ohhhh...and he has no bedroom door because he had a pissy fit and slammed it.

He's sitting across from me, petting the dog and I'm so pissed I might ban him from doing that too!
How did he miss turning in so many assignments without someone noticing? Shouldn't his teacher have notified you? Or shouldn't there be some kind of notification online that parents can check?

My brother is having the same issue with his daughter. They have an online gradebook that parents can check and teachers notify parents of missing assignments after 3.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
How did he miss turning in so many assignments without someone noticing? Shouldn't his teacher have notified you? Or shouldn't there be some kind of notification online that parents can check?

My brother is having the same issue with his daughter. They have an online gradebook that parents can check and teachers notify parents of missing assignments after 3.

My nephew had one that required him to take home their assignments in a folder with the teacher's comments and the parents had to sign off on it. There's no more waiting for the report cards to come out anymore. They did however provide my brother and his wife a funny story from time to time.

The teacher put in a note about something he said when he was just in kindergarten.

They had been out to dinner and my brother said to him, "Sit down you are acting like you were raised by a pack of wild animals." The teacher sends a note which said she asked him why he acted up so bad and he replied to her, "Because I was raised by a pack of wild animals."

My brother could hear my SIL laughing all the way upstairs from the kitchen and he said, "I think she just found it."

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:

They use a program called blackboard, where they post assignments. We check that each Sunday and ask him if he's done the work. He always says yes, occasionally he'll say "oh, I forgot about that" and then go and do it. So a few times he's lied.

We also have an online gradebook. This is where I get frustrated. Most teachers have a huge lag between due dates and posting grades. We had contacted her last week to ask if he handed in an assignment he had a zero on, and he had...she put the assignment in the gradebook, but didn't put the grade in yet. So today she updated it again and he had a grade for that. Okay great!

There were 3 new zeros in there though. These were from assignments from 2 weeks before Christmas break that she just entered today. One was for a pretty big writing assignment that he told us he did...(he lied), one for an online assignment and one for a classwork assignment that she counted as a test. This is what kills me...he DID the damn classwork assignment, he just didn't hand it in. I found it in his binder.

I should add too...we've never had a teacher in the middle school contact us for missing work. However, this is pretty much a first for us too. He's never done this in the past but the teachers don't typically communicate. They make it very clear in the beginning of the year that the kids need to learn responsibility. I'm just glad he's in 8th grade and it won't be on his transcript.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,015,367 times
Quote:
They use a program called blackboard, where they post assignments. We check that each Sunday and ask him if he's done the work. He always says yes, occasionally he'll say "oh, I forgot about that" and then go and do it. So a few times he's lied.

We also have an online gradebook. This is where I get frustrated. Most teachers have a huge lag between due dates and posting grades. We had contacted her last week to ask if he handed in an assignment he had a zero on, and he had...she put the assignment in the gradebook, but didn't put the grade in yet. So today she updated it again and he had a grade for that. Okay great!

There were 3 new zeros in there though. These were from assignments from 2 weeks before Christmas break that she just entered today. One was for a pretty big writing assignment that he told us he did...(he lied), one for an online assignment and one for a classwork assignment that she counted as a test. This is what kills me...he DID the damn classwork assignment, he just didn't hand it in. I found it in his binder.

I should add too...we've never had a teacher in the middle school contact us for missing work. However, this is pretty much a first for us too. He's never done this in the past but the teachers don't typically communicate. They make it very clear in the beginning of the year that the kids need to learn responsibility. I'm just glad he's in 8th grade and it won't be on his transcript.
Funny. My niece always does her homework and my brother checks it, but she often doesn't hand it in. Weird how that happens. They never take her word that she's done something because she'll lie through her teeth if she thinks she can get away with it, too. Kids...

I don't agree with teachers never saying anything. That's how kids fall through the cracks. Shame on them.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Funny. My niece always does her homework and my brother checks it, but she often doesn't hand it in. Weird how that happens. They never take her word that she's done something because she'll lie through her teeth if she thinks she can get away with it, too. Kids...

I don't agree with teachers never saying anything. That's how kids fall through the cracks. Shame on them.
Yes! this!

I asked him "don't you see other people handing in papers? Don't you wonder what those papers are and why you aren't handing anything in??" lol

I agree with you on the teacher issue. I feel like if they are going to take forever to post grades, they should at least communicate to me if there is an issue. This is less than a week before the report card comes out, not much we can do about his grade now.

My husband came home and said "you are being too hard on him". I suppose I might be, I was just so aggravated. However, his schedule has been crazy and I think he's just feeling overwhelmed.

So we discussed his consequences at dinner and revised them. Still no playstation or tablet...he can have his phone (he doesn't have data, it's just calls and text and he does need it). He also has to come to my classroom afterschool to do his homework instead of walking home. We've also taken away one of the sports he plays in the spring. He can play school baseball and travel but nothing more.

He's not home yet, so as far as he knows he's still under house arrest. I'm sure he's bitching to all his friends...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.