Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times

Advertisements

McLovin',

I gotta wonder how do you treat your platonic female friends, if you have any? It sounds like you won't do anything nice for anyone of the female gender.

Now like I said I detest the idea of chivalry and I can be considered an a-hole at times. But I find myself doing nice things for women, mainly because, as much as I want to fight it, I am a generous guy. I have a friend who I frequent the nightlife with who is female. When we go to Baltimore, I drive and pick her up on the way as a friend because she is scared to drive around Baltimore herself, and I'd be concerned for any woman I know being alone in Baltimore during the night. I give her relationship advice because I'm the only straight guy who can chime in. I don't call any of that chivalry, I call it being a good friend.

It does repay me because I usually have a good time with her and she has me come along to parties where there are a lot of single ladies. Being a decent person means doing nice things for people sometimes and not excluding the female gender from that and using the fact they have equal rights and protections under the law (which by the way any decent person should support) as an excuse to be an a-hole.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
McLovin',

I gotta wonder how do you treat your platonic female friends, if you have any? It sounds like you won't do anything nice for anyone of the female gender.

Now like I said I detest the idea of chivalry and I can be considered an a-hole at times. But I find myself doing nice things for women, mainly because, as much as I want to fight it, I am a generous guy. I have a friend who I frequent the nightlife with who is female. When we go to Baltimore, I drive and pick her up on the way as a friend because she is scared to drive around Baltimore herself, and I'd be concerned for any woman I know being alone in Baltimore during the night. I give her relationship advice because I'm the only straight guy who can chime in. I don't call any of that chivalry, I call it being a good friend.

It does repay me because I usually have a good time with her and she has me come along to parties where there are a lot of single ladies. Being a decent person means doing nice things for people sometimes and not excluding the female gender from that and using the fact they have equal rights and protections under the law (which by the way any decent person should support) as an excuse to be an a-hole.
Ain't he sweet, ladies?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
That's not chivalry, though, which is the topic of the thread. That's treating people that are special to you, well...special. Everyone does that. I don't treat women like dirt, I treat them like I'd treat any other human being....equally.
According to the OP-

Tier 1: the basics
Opening doors
Letting the woman go first (ordering, sitting down)
Making sure she gets home safely

Tier 2: super old-school
Walking on the outside (curb side)
Dropping you off at the front, then parking the car
Helping you with your coat/jacket

Besides the first one in Tier 1 (maybe) you don't do any of the above for women because you actually have to know a person to do those things. So, there is nothing for you to stop doing for WOMEN. geesh.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
McLovin',

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ain't he sweet, ladies?
He's healthy.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,217,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
You want the advantages of being equal under the law--
--is an oxymoron if ever there was one. Equality and advantage are mutually exclusive. Look them up in a dictionary.

What was that you said to someone else up-thread? Pay attention?

Yeah, take your own advice.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM

255 posts, read 374,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Do people pay you to write this garbage? Seriously.

First, there are many, MANY women in jobs that endanger their lives. Never mind that if you want to get right down to it, walking home alone at night requires a hell of a lot more bravery from a woman than it does from a man, mainly because one of the greatest threats to women's health, safety, and welfare is--drumroll please--MEN.

Second, I can pay a mechanic. And a roofer. And a carpenter. And a plumber. No need to have a man around just for that.

Third, if I ask for a date, I pay for it. I generally have never really asked for a first date, as I've always had options in terms of men asking me out, but I do offer to chip in, whether it's drinks afterward or going to another venue, etc. After that, if I ask, I pay.

Fourth, you insinuate that women react only on emotions, and that so much as tapping into emotion in rendering decisions is a bad thing or somehow inferior to logic and reason. That is a figment of your own perceptions, as you clearly do not appreciate the logic and analysis required to perform the duties of clinician, attorney, scientist, journalist, financial adviser, accountant, military officer, statistician, politician, etc., etc., all career fields that women are not only entering in record numbers, but are in some cases surpassing men, and excelling in to boot.

Regardless, you mention that there are "consequences to each approach," yet neglect to discuss the consequences of prizing logic and reason over all else, "all else" to include emotions.

But here, I'll start: The consequences of prizing logic and reason over all else can be seen in posts like yours, which, frankly, make you sound both arrogant and ignorant.

And I say that as an INTJ, perhaps the most cold and analytical of all the MBTI types.

As for your comment about religion, I don't believe in any deities, because faith is not logical. Unless you consider "I don't understand it, so God did it" to be a form of higher reasoning, the notion of a god is the most illogical, irrational thing ever created by humanity, never mind that most of the main religions ascribe to a belief in a deity that throws tantrums and punishes people when they don't agree with him or worship him to his satisfaction--you know, a being that reacts purely on emotion. Less than emotion, actually: Most gods are pure id. Talk about an illogical argument on your part. You'll have to do better than to send people to religion for this.
1)Do tell me what jobs women work that endanger the lives of many women. Have you ever been in the army? Trust me, the vast majority of women don't ever see combat. Do women work mines? Oil rigs?They work in construction? They work as fishermen? Dude, the list is huge.

2)You can pay a carpenter? A mechanic? You do understand that the people who do those jobs - and most of what happens in this world - are men, right? So, you do need men. You know the money you use to pay the mechanics with? Created by men.. what makes the money valuable? Men...

3) You have to explain that one to me, because I went to a college which had a vastly majority of female students - very attractive women - and there was never any charge of molestation, nor were the women afraid of interacting with women, or were they afraid of going out during the night.

4)Matter of fact, I remember being out at 11PM and these 3 thugs approached me and tried to rob me.There were four random young women near us and the guys never bothered them. I bet it was because these guys know women never carry money with them because men pay for them, LOL.

5)So, you're telling me that, women who are extremely attractive and young, and very like to draw attention with diminutive clothes, and yet the hormonal young men don't bother me, but somehow women are the victims of physical violence? Bro, the vast majority of the people who are raped.. are men. In jail. I don't even see most men paying attention to women in the street, too much effort, and little reward.

Must be the victimhood effect. Like this 40-something woman who thought I was going to sexually abuse her or something because I sat next to her on the bus . It was the only free seat.. give me a break.

6) Of course you never had to ask for a date. You're a woman. I've seen very obese women being asked on dates, and I've never seen average-men being approached or asked on a date; it was always the guy who had to ask the woman on a date, and I was always the one who saw the guy go home with his wallet-empty and with nothing in return - yeah, yeah, the pleasure of the goddess's comapny - whereas the women would quickly call my Alpha males for a bang.

One pays, the other gets the sex.

You offered to chip in? How many articles are there which have women complain about that? ''Oh, he accepted my offer. He must not be into me. I'm a lady, blablablabla.''

Women cling to ''whoever invites pays'' because it is men who do the majority of the asking.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Oh please with this carpenter crap, as if it's difficult. Nobody needs to hire a carpenter or a mechanic. Both men and women can easily do their own work. People choose not to do it. It's about choice, not need.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Women work in construction, they work in fracking, they're firefighters, they're police officers, to name a few dangerous professions. Dude, stop with the voluntary ignorance, already.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women work in construction, they work in fracking, they're firefighters, they're police officers, to name a few dangerous professions. Dude, stop with the voluntary ignorance, already.
My neighbor, a rather large woman and good friend, is a female cop. Her husband is a fire fighter. They make quite the pair and excellent neighbors to have!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
I did not realize that doing nice stuff for someone you like or care about could inspire so much bitterness.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships