Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 03:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I've noticed that too. If you say something critical about women then you must "hate women" or "don't have a women" or "you had bad upbringing" blah, blah, blah. The only difference is I'm not going to bite my tongue or be "careful with my wording".
That isn't true. Most posters here look for a pattern in people's replies. The odd comment here and there about something a particular person did that you didn't like doesn't mean it's gender bashing. But when you see a constant stream of hatefulness, accusations, denigration and negativity, then you realise this is a misogynist or a misandrist. Which is precisely what we are seeing in this thread, pure gender bashing.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are so many conversations about how chivalry is for men who put women on pedestals on the boards here. Or how “feminism” killed chivalry, so I thought I’d share some perspective.

The topic of chivalry came up with a few friends the other day, after I was recapping a recent online date, who sent mixed signals (off topic for this thread). Anyway, I was impressed that he had crossed over into what I’ll deem as tier 2 chivalry:

Tier 1: the basics
Opening doors
Letting the woman go first (ordering, sitting down)
Making sure she gets home safely

Tier 2: super old-school
Walking on the outside (curb side)
Dropping you off at the front, then parking the car
Helping you with your coat/jacket

**I am sure there are more examples, but these are top of mind.

Anyway, in this audience of liberated women (and perhaps armchair feminists), profiled as educated and financially independent, were all in agreement about chivalry.

Basically, even though we are all well aware we can take care of ourselves, but when men are chivalrous it makes us feel like we are appreciated and worthy of special care. That’s it. It is basically like a warm fuzzy.

It isn’t about paying or equity or anything else, just a simple sign that someone cares about your well being.

What’s your take?
Wow. How far the discussion has strayed from the OP, and how some posters twisted the OP's and others' general opinion of "chivalry"!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I might have been crying (OMG! Emotion!), and I may have struggled physically to pull or push a dolphin back out into the water, but I'd have done it. That's just the kind of "Oh, sh*t that person/critter needs help, throw caution to the wind" kind of idiot I am.
That made me tear up. Hell yea I would be helping as well.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
BZZZT, wrong! I said ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, nobody's pregnant, nobody's wearing heels. Why are your ankles more valuable than mine in the age of equality? Why can't I resent my date for not dropping me off at the door? This is why you've failed this argument from the first post. Women expect to be treated as men in the boardroom, but revert to their default position of "weakness" in social situations. Sorry, I believe in true equality, its a shame that.most of the females on this board do not.
I learned while pregnant that it's pregnancy that is in part responsible for men being protective of women. My concern was protecting the baby inside. My husband's concern was protecting the baby by protecting me. It's biological. It's instinct. The boardroom, OTOH, can only be judged via merit.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I've noticed that too. If you say something critical about women then you must "hate women" or "don't have a women" or "you had bad upbringing" blah, blah, blah. The only difference is I'm not going to bite my tongue or be "careful with my wording".
He's talking about "A" woman not women. Although clearly a few of you do not know the difference.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,016,808 times
Chivalry is about respect and frankly I like cherishing my woman and I like it when she makes me feel special as well, crucify me.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Chivalry is about respect and frankly I like cherishing my woman and I like it when she makes me feel special as well, crucify me.
I agree.

I guess I'm "old school" because there are just certain things a woman with me isn't gonna do, nothing really to do with chivalry, it's just how I roll.

I'm never gonna let a woman pay for the first date, I'd walk them to their door at night, open doors for them, etc etc.

I call that manners.........

Old 11-17-2013, 05:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,028,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree.

I guess I'm "old school" because there are just certain things a woman with me isn't gonna do, nothing really to do with chivalry, it's just how I roll.

I'm never gonna let a woman pay for the first date, I'd walk them to their door at night, open doors for them, etc etc.

I call that manners.........
This is why you are the best guy out there, Chows.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post

Well, that's not very crabby, now is it?

(Don't mind me. I'm running on less than four hours of sleep. Big project sent off this morning. Now crashing. Gibberish in 3...2...)

Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 PM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned.

If you're wearing spiky heals then that may be the best choice. It depends on how much of a delicate flower you are. Not being a delicate flower myself generally, I have never been dropped off unless I was carrying stuff in or except when I was pregnant. When I was pregnant my husband was practically carrying me from the door to my car every morning down our icy path. I did not carry his non-pregnant self.
Well Done to your hubby, darlin'......

My wife & I took Lamaze birthing classes together. I'm the coach. I delivered our babies.

ummmmm, well,...the doc did help a little........

The Lamaze classes were a wonderful experience for us together. They helped me feel like I played a bigger role in the birth of our beloved children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships