Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,242,547 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of disappointed with the way this thread has turned out honestly. I had no idea so many people held such contempt for young men. Like I always say CD is not a representation of the real world. Plenty of young men have no problems forming relationships and being productive members of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are enough screwed up guys that come here that need to be told they are just flat out wrong that only another guy can deliver.

I'll leave the sympathy and great advice to many of the Ladies like Love Mountains., JJ, ect.
Just like raising a son, a good thump on the head is best delivered by another more mature male.
Do you believe this thump on the head has helped anyone? Again no disrespect intended, just an honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,450,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Not AFAIK .

I mean, we can't talk about sex here much, but I don't get the impression the regular posters are uptight at all .

I meant socially conservative. All this talk about men supporting women financially, for example. That basically never happens IRL, where I live. And men paying for dates, and people going on dates as opposed to just hanging out, and the idea that more partners is a bad thing for a woman, or that feminists don't love men and manliness.

All of that is like a visit to another planet for me.

Is there any logical reason to "talk about sex" with a bunch of random strangers on a public forum?
Not in my opinion. I really do not want to know all of the little intimate should not be for public consumption details of your sexual activities or anyone else's.
The more sex is talked about the less those who are doing the talking is having real sex, this has been the general concensus that I have heard most of my life.
When we have a gathering we don't talk about sex and never have talked about sex. There are things that should be kept between those who are involved.

As far as the original poster's questions: I seriously doubt I have had any impact on someone else's life choices.
I do not candy coat anything and I am quite blunt and to the point most of the time.
There is very little if anything on this forum that has impacted my real life, when this computer goes off everyone here does not exist in my real life.
I have from time to time talked about some of the threads and posts with others however, the topic discussed is merely for entertainment value only.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,970,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm kind of disappointed with the way this thread has turned out honestly. I had no idea so many people held such contempt for young men. Like I always say CD is not a representation of the real world. Plenty of young men have no problems forming relationships and being productive members of society.
Do you believe this thump on the head has helped anyone? Again no disrespect intended, just an honest question.
A good thump on the head has help me tremendously..... truly......

a family friend got me a job got me involved in an industry that I was able to make a career out of....... he was a straight up man and gave me some skills and I thank him for that... I was able to make a decent living becuae of the jump start he gave me.

Could I have made it on my own.. probably.. but getting a jump start... there's no shame in that.. fully... I fully agree with it and if I can help out a young man.. I will..

I train/hire and mentor young men for work... I will and can help them all the time.....

Sometimes all we need is a hand up as they say.......

Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,255,419 times
Technical skills aren't people skills, though. Any idiot out there can go out and be an engineer or a tradesman, it takes a certain type of smarts to be successful with people.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,242,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A good thump on the head has help me tremendously..... truly......

a family friend got me a job got me involved in an industry that I was able to make a career out of....... he was a straight up man and gave me some skills and I thank him for that... I was able to make a decent living becuae of the jump start he gave me.

Could I have made it on my own.. probably.. but getting a jump start... there's no shame in that.. fully... I fully agree with it and if I can help out a young man.. I will..

I train/hire and mentor young men for work... I will and can help them all the time.....

Sometimes all we need is a hand up as they say.......
I didn't mean in general but just on this forum.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,782,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
To the regular posters here on this forum, do you know or at least feel that you have made a positive impact on someone else life by posting here?

Has what others have posted here made a positive impact on your life?

Are you just here for entertainment and don't care either way?

I'm not trying to be sardonic. It's an honest question.
Statistically speaking only 1-15 posts have a true intent of offering advise, commentary, or even just an opinion. Most of those who post here are into post counts. Most are laced with bumper sticker type responses and off subject humor. They might mix in a few direct or indirect personal jabs while there at it. Don't believe me? Read through any topic here and 7 of ten pages of responses are insider jokes amongst the regulars.

I suggest if you wish to follow those who provide meaningful responses (and there are some) look at their reputation meter. Those with higher reputation points, then post counts, usually offer more meaningful and thoughtful responses.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,027,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
IDK what the hell is going on... but some of the stuff I read just floors me at times.........

I'm 44.... I think that my generation, (genX), I think in a lot of ways we failed, we failed as parents... not all of course, but enough to warrant a serious discussion to be honest......

I've seen it enough in a lot of my friends and family members.. I myself, don't have kids, but I've got eyes and I can make observations about the world I live in, enough to ponder the question

Have we failed our kids... our young men, in particular????
I think so.

I understand of course, as someone was pointing out, that the guys here are not typical.

But several of them have mentioned that women have changed dramatically in the last few generations, thanks to feminism, and that they feel at a loss to understand what that means for them as men.

They can't be the type of man their grandfathers were, because women now are not like their grandmothers.

That's what they feel, anyway. My grandparents were not so different from people I know now. I think those guys might be thinking more of the tv version of the 1950s than the RL version.

Nonetheless, the feeling is real. And I think it makes a kind of sense.

Women, gay people, people of color, all sorts of people who have been traditionally discriminated against have organised amongst themselves and reclaimed a lot of their confidence and power. But men, especially white middle class able bodied men, have not felt the need, I guess. Anyway, they have not doen it. I keep hoping they will.

Because the truth is, sexism, racism, classism -- all that stuff has hurt them too. Look at all the threads here where guys talk about their fears that women only want them for their paychecks. They can't imagine being valued for themselves, and consequntly empowered women terrify them. They think that if a woman has her own paycheck she wont need them for anything. Or want them. And that's sexism talking, right there. Sexism against men.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,774,244 times
The iron law of the internet (and life): you get what you pay for.

How much did it cost you to read this?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The iron law of the internet (and life): you get what you pay for.

How much did it cost you to read this?
I could say some bull**** about opportunity cost, but....

You know what, that's exactly what I will say. During the time it took to read and reply to this thread, I could have made about 10 bucks. However reading the relationship forum may or may not potentially result in profit, savings, or losses up to and possibly above one million dollars. Financial results are still not in, and it is a total risk to be honest.

Edit: oh and I believe there is also a minor cost to access the internet in the first place.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:03 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,126,760 times
I doubt I've helped anyone on here....I come on here for entertainment so I tend to stay away from the more serious threads.

I don't post about my personal life in here either. It's not all unicorns and rainbows...I just realize how wacko it is and I don't need advice

However...I'be made a few friends and at least one that I'm sure would stick around even if this place shut down...and that made coming here worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships