Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,753,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I could say some bull**** about opportunity cost, but....

You know what, that's exactly what I will say. During the time it took to read and reply to this thread, I could have made about 10 bucks. However reading the relationship forum may or may not potentially result in profit, savings, or losses up to and possibly above one million dollars. Financial results are still not in, and it is a total risk to be honest.
Edit: oh and I believe there is also a minor cost to access the internet in the first place.
For those who pay variable costs to use the internet, it is not free.

Of course people whose expected marginal benefit greatly exceeds their marginal opportunity cost, this place is great and if there are millions of them, then the consumer surplus in the market will be very large...Is that the value of their information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
What? You haven't been charmed by my whining, lying, and misogyny?
LOL...

Seriously though, it's not just this forum (the forum just adds water to the blaze that's already sputtering). It's also what I experienced (mainly though OLD). There is also something about me seems to attract the damaged, the crazy, and the jerks looking for a mistress. And on top of that, there is something about my personality that is flawed. I've been told that I am too kind and sympathetic and that, frankly, I can be a doormat. I think there is truth to that. Someone even recommended I read a self help book entitled, "Why Men Love *******." (it's edited out... think Witches).

Anyway, the guy I am seeing now is great and I really like him and enjoy his company, but it's a weak relationship (if that makes sense). It's early, I am not his girlfriend, and it could easily fizzle. It took me three years to "find" him. I think if it does fizzle, I am going to take a break from all this for a while. Maybe read that book I just mentioned and try to change, harden my heart a little, before trying again.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 AM

328 posts, read 466,962 times
I've learned that being single is a tough row to hoe these days...male or female. I feel sorry for single women especially.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,074,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think so.

I understand of course, as someone was pointing out, that the guys here are not typical.

But several of them have mentioned that women have changed dramatically in the last few generations, thanks to feminism, and that they feel at a loss to understand what that means for them as men.

They can't be the type of man their grandfathers were, because women now are not like their grandmothers.

Because the truth is, sexism, racism, classism -- all that stuff has hurt them too. Look at all the threads here where guys talk about their fears that women only want them for their paychecks. They can't imagine being valued for themselves, and consequntly empowered women terrify them. They think that if a woman has her own paycheck she wont need them for anything. Or want them. And that's sexism talking, right there. Sexism against men.
I agree with you regarding the bolded. Gender roles were more defined than they are nowadays. And as much as a guy might worry about a woman being after his paycheck, back in the day, the man's role was provider, and now that women can provide for themselves, men are expected to bring more than a paycheck to a relationship and they don't know what to do with that.

Look at all the threads from guys along the lines of "would you date a guy with a crooked baby toe?" Women are looking for a connection much deeper than provider, and it seems many guys don't have a clue what to do with that. They nitpick about all of the physical attributes they don't possess as an excuse for why they're rejected, yet women, being more emotional, are looking for an emotional connection many guys don't know how to or cannot provide. I don't believe that is sexism at all though, because women are generally not discriminating against guys based on their gender, but rather expecting more of them than the dollar figure on their paycheck.

As for the thread topic, I always have opinions, so CD is a great place to share them. If someone benefits, that would be wonderful but often you may give advice that helps and never know if it helped or not.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,213,433 times
I like hearing different opinions, even if they're "out there" in my opinion

But I think what people still don't understand of get about the Internet is that because of the Anonymity people feel more free to say how they truly feel without worry of their identity being found out.

This naturally leads to "outlandish" statements.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,784,961 times
i lurn good

Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,325,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Do you believe this thump on the head has helped anyone? Again no disrespect intended, just an honest question.
Absolutely it has when delivered by a Father to a son when that son has crossed the line.

I'm not talking a violent hit or abuse.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,325,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I didn't mean in general but just on this forum.
You can get sympathy from the ladies here all day long. It takes a few of us guys to tell another man that he's solidly wrong, get over it, stop being a wimp or some other no BS type answer.

You can pull crap over on a woman at times but not on a mature well adjusted male.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,013,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with you regarding the bolded. Gender roles were more defined than they are nowadays. And as much as a guy might worry about a woman being after his paycheck, back in the day, the man's role was provider, and now that women can provide for themselves, men are expected to bring more than a paycheck to a relationship and they don't know what to do with that.

Look at all the threads from guys along the lines of "would you date a guy with a crooked baby toe?" Women are looking for a connection much deeper than provider, and it seems many guys don't have a clue what to do with that. They nitpick about all of the physical attributes they don't possess as an excuse for why they're rejected, yet women, being more emotional, are looking for an emotional connection many guys don't know how to or cannot provide. I don't believe that is sexism at all though, because women are generally not discriminating against guys based on their gender, but rather expecting more of them than the dollar figure on their paycheck.

That's not what I mean by sexism.

I mean that society tells men that they only have value for what they can give -- in terms of finances, or sacrifice -- and not for who they are as human beings. That is sexism. It's sexist because it's telling someone who they can be, what they can and cannot do, based on gender.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,228,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You can get sympathy from the ladies here all day long. It takes a few of us guys to tell another man that he's solidly wrong, get over it, stop being a wimp or some other no BS type answer.

You can pull crap over on a woman at times but not on a mature well adjusted male.
No I mean do you think that thump on the head has helped anyone on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships