Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM

31,163 posts, read 22,192,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yeah, it was like what R4T describes.

Lots of time spent together, but not doing datelike stuff. Not going out to eat or to a movie. I only did that (dinner and a movie) once in my life, before I was 35, and that was with a guy who was from elsewhere. It was a novel experience for me .
Nila, where the heck did you grow up at? Dating rules! At least in my mind. Neat little ethic restaurants, trips to the Fair, movies, Jazz bars, dancing, walks on the beach are all really good stuff. With out that it's just really fantastic mind blowing sex and eating at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People meet and fall in love by hanging out with their social group, and doing group activities. Or by living in a shared household, where they interact every day. There may not be structured dates, but just time spent cooking together, listening to music, watching videos on the couch at night, going to the beach as a group, that sort of thing.
Ok, then I guess my answer to the OP is no, I did not grow up in that kind of culture.

Initially it was hanging out with groups of friends or at school, but the guy always would call and set up a date. If you really clicked, then you went on LOTS of dates until one day you realized that you'd been dating a year.

You had to have balls to mate in the dark ages of the 1980s. Go up to them in person or actually call someone on the phone and ASK them. None of this random texting bullcrap.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Nila, where the heck did you grow up at? Dating rules! At least in my mind. Neat little ethic restaurants, trips to the Fair, movies, Jazz bars, dancing, walks on the beach are all really good stuff. With out that it's just really fantastic mind blowing sex and eating at home.

Agreed. Dating is excellent. The asking, the planning, the build up, the actual date... it is one long foreplay session.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,013,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You are allowed to do those things with friends, and girlfriends, and by yourself . You just don't have to delay sex with the gf until after you have done them.

And the whole anticipation, arousal, 'does s/he like me?', one-long-foreplay still goes on, in cultures without dating. It just happens in different ways.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM

890 posts, read 1,652,643 times
I feel like it's that way for SOME African Americans. Disclaimer, I'm black. I just disregard those guys. I personally like to go out and do things when I'm seeing someone. I don't know how it's possible to date someone just sitting at home. I like to travel and explore new places, so I'd be bored.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Well, in my "group hang-out" experience, if a couple did form within the group, at some point they might spontaneously decide to go see a movie or to, like somebody said, an ethnic restaurant. A little departure from the group. So that could be called a date, though not strictly in the classic sense of calling the woman, setting it up in advance, going to her place to pick her up (nobody had cars in a shaky economy, anyway), etc. And there often was no reason to ask a woman for her number, if she already lived in the same household as you! Or if she came over to join your group of friends every day.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 PM

Sounds like groups of people in college that hook up within their groups and a 20something extension of such situations within tribes / mini communities.

No thanks.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Quote:
You are allowed to do those things with friends, and girlfriends, and by yourself . You just don't have to delay sex with the gf until after you have done them.

So in these mystical cultures where you just end up having sex after hanging out for X amount of time, how do they get from "hanging out" to The Sex?

Tons of young men on this forum would love to know that.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,572,159 times
Quote:

And the whole anticipation, arousal, 'does s/he like me?', one-long-foreplay still goes on, in cultures without dating. It just happens in different ways.
I am trying to comprehend your point of view. So are you simply never asked out on dates? Did you ever date in high school or college? Even in group date situations couples will break off from the group to have alone time. How did you bond with your partner in previous relationships without alone time?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So in these mystical cultures where you just end up having sex after hanging out for X amount of time, how do they get from "hanging out" to The Sex?

Tons of young men on this forum would love to know that.

Oh, it happens all the time if you hang out with people enough. You're having fun, feel comfortable with that person, so you have sex. Some wine doesn't hurt, at least the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships