Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I know some of you guys were asking for more info about her. She said that she has oral HSV-1 and high-risk HPV (meaning that she is at risk for cervical cancer). Does that change things at all?
Not really.

The 'high risk' for cervical cancer means she's had bad pap smears, or a history of bad pap smears. That can be circumstantial. With each bad pap smear she should have received treatment. That eliminates the issue and then she gets follow up paps done to confirm she is clear however many months after treatment completes.

Now, if she is genetically higher risk, that is a different story and it is not related to her sexual activity as much as is her genetics.

I have a friend that was considered 'high risk' due to the ongoing bad paps she had. However, she was getting bad paps before she was even sexually active as a teenager. This was genetic and had no correlation to sexual activity because she had never been with a man. She has undergone treatment several times as a young adult and they are discussing hysterectomy as the next option if they can't get her issue under control. I know another woman that has been in a very faithful marriage for over 10 years and she is also considered 'high risk' for genetic reasons; she and her husband had to purposely plan their second child because she was running the risk of having to undergo a hysterectomy, so the wanted to have another child before that became a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,717 times
Thank goodness she told you. I had an STD when I first moved in with my present wife. Got it from my first wife I didn't tell her. Lucky for her I got it cleared up.

I'm sure she knows what precautions to take. Talk it over with her and long as she is being open ask her if it would be ok to talk it over with her and her Doctor.

brushrunner

Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I met this woman on an online dating website. We were hitting it off really well since about a week ago. We met in person last weekend to watch a movie together. I had a great time and really enjoyed hanging out with her. I felt comfortable with her and felt a connection between us. So things were going really well until she finally told me last night that she has 2 STD's: HSV-1 and HPV. I'm clean and afraid of the possibility of being contracted with either of these STD's if we end up going further with things. I'm also, as bad as it sounds, sort of grossed out by it and don't know how to handle this. I was reading up on these diseases and I just can't get a clear answer from the Internet about what the chances are of contracting either of these diseases? It's just all over the map basically. I have a feeling that maybe I'm being too judgemental and cruel about this and then another side of me is saying to not take this any further. I don't know what to do...
If you have been sexually active for any amount of time, you have probably been exposed to both of those already and just don't know it.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Maybe this is the Universe's way to tell you to get the HPV vaccine.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe this is the Universe's way to tell you to get the HPV vaccine.
Not so fast there, killer.

Do your homework first:

HPV Vaccine Is Associated with Serious Health Risks

Japan withdraws support for HPV vaccines due to infertility side effects

New Biohazard Found in HPV Vaccine Gardasil

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If you have been sexually active for any amount of time, you have probably been exposed to both of those already and just don't know it.
Wouldn't there be a scale on this when you use the word "probably" rather than the blanket cast by the word "any"?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I met this woman on an online dating website. We were hitting it off really well since about a week ago. We met in person last weekend to watch a movie together. I had a great time and really enjoyed hanging out with her. I felt comfortable with her and felt a connection between us. So things were going really well until she finally told me last night that she has 2 STD's: HSV-1 and HPV. I'm clean and afraid of the possibility of being contracted with either of these STD's if we end up going further with things. I'm also, as bad as it sounds, sort of grossed out by it and don't know how to handle this. I was reading up on these diseases and I just can't get a clear answer from the Internet about what the chances are of contracting either of these diseases? It's just all over the map basically. I have a feeling that maybe I'm being too judgemental and cruel about this and then another side of me is saying to not take this any further. I don't know what to do...
Well one should always use condoms, no matter what! Anyone who game to jump in without one be a warning to me to run the other way ....... Your just as likely to have HPV if you had multiple sexual partners with unproductive sex, a lot men have HPV of throat from oral sex, left untreated it will become cancer! ..Many more have HSV but are without symptoms, carriers don't know it... At least she was honest, this say alot, sadly sounds like someone wasn't with her...

Last edited by WildCard~; 01-10-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Wouldn't there be a scale on this when you use the word "probably" rather than the blanket cast by the word "any"?
Ugh, more CD-style nit-picking.

Well, I heard a woman from the CDC in Atlanta say on Dan Savage's weekly podcast that if a person is over 35 and has been sexually active since age 20, the odds he or she has been exposed to HPV are about 85%. Is that specific enough, or am I still being too general?

Sorry, I don't mean to be testy, but I am so sick of this constant refrain of "you're overgeneralizing" on CD.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Ugh, more CD-style nit-picking.

Well, I heard a woman from the CDC in Atlanta say on Dan Savage's weekly podcast that if a person is over 35 and has been sexually active since age 20, the odds he or she has been exposed to HPV are about 85%. Is that specific enough, or am I still being too general?

Sorry, I don't mean to be testy, but I am so sick of this constant refrain of "you're overgeneralizing" on CD.
I agree with you on the "you're overgeneralizing" phrase being overused on this site. I only said that because I've seen you post frequently and I can almost guarantee you have a different definition of "sexually active" than the op. The op hasn't had sex in a year in a half(according to him), but technically in the last 5 years he has been sexually active. That doesn't mean he has the same odds of having anything as someone who is dating multiple people every couple of months. Huge range of difference there.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
HSV-1 is the cold sore type right? About 90% of adults have that. No big deal. Just make sure you don't get a beej from her if she has an active breakout. HPV is often cleared up on its own.

I don't even think HSV-1 should be considered an STD, since you can get it by just drinking from the same glass as someone who has it.
Both forms of Herpes are the "cold sore type." When contracted via sexual contact, it is an STI, even though it can also be contracted other ways. (HIV can be contract other ways besides sex, too, but it's still considered an STI.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships