Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM

339 posts, read 379,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Lack of reading comprehension?

My point is.... date who ever, whom ever, and how ever you want. There is no point in telling others how they should date.
Nobody, and not at all.

The end.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
Nobody, and not at all.

The end.

Then perhaps you should leave the adults to the dating conversations?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then perhaps you should leave the adults to the dating conversations?

I'm keeping my skills sharp for when the situation evens out.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
Never listen to what women say. Watch what they do.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Those first dates with those 20 people have to happen somehow. Most of the time, if it's going to happen at all, it's the guy who does the asking, and therefore, the paying. So those 20 dates will cost, well....a lot. It depends on the date, but that's a whole other thread.

In a relationship, the scenario you describe is both awesome and common. But on your way TO that point, there's a lot of dating.

As for me specifically? Sending a DM about it. Not everyone cares about my dating background.
If you're doing the asking, wouldn't you also do the planning of the date?
Why don't you just find something free or cheap to do. Visit a museum, go downtown and browse the shops, go to the farmers market, stop for coffee..etc. If a $3 cup of coffee is going to set you back, you might consider holding off on dating until you can afford the $3.

Not single, but back when I was dating, I never asked a man out. I did plan and pay for subsequent dates though.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
So I'm not certain if this is the specific complaint that a lot of the men are addressing but consider what dating is like when you're dating around in the interest of finding someone worth a relationship. If you agree that men do most of the asking, that means men do most of the paying as well. A guy might go on 20 dates (I'm making these numbers up, obviously) looking for a great woman, and a woman might do the same with 20 guys.

Those first dates with those 20 people have to happen somehow. Most of the time, if it's going to happen at all, it's the guy who does the asking, and therefore, the paying. So those 20 dates will cost, well....a lot. It depends on the date, but that's a whole other thread.

In a relationship, the scenario you describe is both awesome and common. But on your way TO that point, there's a lot of dating.

As for me specifically? Sending a DM about it. Not everyone cares about my dating background.
This. Exactly this. A thousand times this!!!

Most women have absolutely no regard for this.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Why don't you just find something free or cheap to do. Visit a museum, go downtown and browse the shops, go to the farmers market, stop for coffee..etc. If a $3 cup of coffee is going to set you back, you might consider holding off on dating until you can afford the $3.

Not single, but back when I was dating, I never asked a man out. I did plan and pay for subsequent dates though.
I don't mean me, as I happen to have a fair amount of disposable income (god, there's no way to say that without sounding like a douche). But the other guys on this board would probably be all too willing to share their experiences with women on those kinds of dates.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Because then the woman thinks you're cheap, and you get rejected anyway

Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Come on, you know better than that. Men do the overwhelming majority of the asking out, therefore men end up paying for most of the dates/relationship. I've heard numerous women on here say they would NEVER ask a man out. So to say "who ever ask pays" is a convenient cop out for women to avoid paying their share of dating/relationship.
Again, that was not the statement you made. You said that most women expect men to always pay for everything. You did not specify first dates.

Newsflash: most people you see out and about together are in relationships, not first or second dates. This is by far the most common dynamic at restaurants, movies, concerts, festivals, etc. These are the situations where women are paying or splitting.

(See HiveMind's response above, he gets it.)

Honestly, do you think women don't ask men out so they can AVOID paying? Really? You don't think it might have something to do with gender roles that persist in particular social classes?

I would also like to hear from men who have been in a situation where the check comes to the table and the woman grabs it and insists on paying. What do you do? How does it make you feel?

The men I know would feel somewhat emasculated.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Honestly, do you think women don't ask men out so they can AVOID paying? Really? You don't think it might have something to do with gender roles that persist in particular social classes?

I would also like to hear from men who have been in a situation where the check comes to the table and the woman grabs it and insists on paying. What do you do? How does it make you feel?

The men I know would feel somewhat emasculated.

Personally, I think it's awesome, and I tell them so. But I've RARELY (and I mean VERY RARELY) gone out with a woman who had:

a) the initiative
b) the income

to make such a move. Like, off the top of my head...maybe 2-3 or so out of, well....let's just say "a lot".

Anyway, to put 14Bricks' comment in a gentler light, I don't believe he's suggesting that women avoid asking men out so they don't have to pay. Rather, he (and some others) fee that saying "whomever does the inviting should pay" is a convenient rule of thumb to fall back on when it rarely applies to you. To guys, it's like saying "whoever's shorter has to pay". Most of the time, it'll be the other person.

Edit: And "first dates" applies to me more than "relationships", because I'm "that guy". I can't speak for other guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships