Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
you got me scared to be in a relationship lol
They aren't all like that.lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
I stay hopeful although at times I have been single for so long that sometimes I start thinking “what’s the use anymore?” Of course I need to put myself out there more and figure out a way to shrug off, deal with, and overcome the regrettable heartbreaks which have been devastating to my soul. To put it as mildly as I can possibly muster: this has not been appreciated nor forgotten.

I see a common pattern among the bitterly divorced and that is among the reasons I would never consider, let alone approach, a formerly divorced. One gal promptly informed me upfront that “I have divorced before and I am not afraid to pull the trigger again”. I thanked her for being so forthright and politely said “good bye”, not that I would have ever pursued anything in the slightest with such an angry and bitter individual. I feel sorry for the next several unlucky souls who may have the misfortune to ever cross her path or God forbid, get involved with her.

The posters echo what I have heard from similar divorcees over the years and this goes back quite a ways. The anger and bitterness is thick enough to cut with a knife and is what I meant when I believe that romance is all but dead, forgotten, shunned and avoided in today’s wonderful ever loving society. It makes me wish at times that God would quickly and completely vanquish all humanity from the face of the Earth and start the process all over again and see if another couple eons of fresh human development might turn out better this time as the current sample has successfully failed miserably. Good thing God doesn’t do Performance Reviews on humanity as immediate Termination With Supreme Prejudice is most definitely required and strongly recommended here.

Yes hearing the woes of the divorced, those that at least had something to work with, but were unable, or more likely, unwilling to put the work required into it is rather depressing but considering the species involved not surprising in the least.
Jobzombie the good ones are out there and your type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,419,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not all marriages are the same and not all people feel called to marriage. It is not for everyone.

But there are generally benefits a married couple enjoys that unmarried couples do not.

The most important reason for marriage is when there are children involved. When a marriage is strong and thriving it provides a more stable foundation on which to raise them, which benefits everyone in society.

For people of faith (and some without) marriage is a deep commitment that cannot always be appreciated until you have yourself made that commitment to another person. Making that kind of commitment takes a whole skill set that some folks simply do not possess, at least not until they are more life experienced

hehe

well i was kinda with you and your view until that last paragraph

mainly the stuff about "deep commitment" and then that nonsense about a "skill set" *dead*

i like the way you framed it though so you get extra credit points

keep the faith!

many people are "married" and there definately is no "commitment" and there is no "skill set"... i suppose when most women say "commitment" that the major part of that is fidelity?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,861,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
hehe

well i was kinda with you and your view until that last paragraph

mainly the stuff about "deep commitment" and then that nonsense about a "skill set" *dead*

i like the way you framed it though so you get extra credit points

keep the faith!

many people are "married" and there definately is no "commitment" and there is no "skill set"... i suppose when most women say "commitment" that the major part of that is fidelity?
If you don't think it takes real commitment and a special "skill set" to have a successful marriage or long term relationship you are sorely out of touch with reality, sorry.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,517,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Find a lady who has her own.
A kept man. I could really grow into that role.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,804,531 times
The more bad dates I have, the more hope I lose. Add the few bad relationships since my divorce, and I don't want to try anymore. I may close off my heart and just focus on career until I die.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
A kept man. I could really grow into that role.
Their own money.lol

Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,419,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you don't think it takes real commitment and a special "skill set" to have a successful marriage or long term relationship you are sorely out of touch with reality, sorry.
my post is based on reality and not an "ideal" or fantasy of what "successful marriage" should be... i did ask for you guys opinion and got a followup ques

i assume you're married.

is "cheating" a dealbreaker for you?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,216,755 times
I heard that marriage is a 3 ring circus.

I heard that not all women are like that.

I heard that marriage is great.

Take your pick.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM

323 posts, read 308,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
That is your right, of course. To me, it sounds like you are closing off a part of yourself so that you will never fully love someone again or allow anyone to love you in return. You seem too young to live the rest of your life without love, but maybe you don't care and you won't ever care.

The fact that you were so deeply hurt, and have gone to such great lengths to protect your heart, suggests to me that underneath the hard shell, you are a sensitive and passionate individual. It's too bad that no one will ever get close enough to experience that side of you again.
That sounds wonderfully cliche. Gathers everything up into a neat little box and wraps it in a nice red bow. Also, since it's cliche, it makes it real easy to completely disregard the situation in question (my past). Heck, *I* would disregard it, and it's my life we're talking about! Ha!

Reality is, you missed the mark. Though I understand why you would think the way you do, since cliches exist for a reason, and my situation is...unique might be the word.

As I've said before, after my now-ex, I had a FB, and then I met my last gf. And I would have done the marriage thing again, with her, but with a prenup this time around (I told her as much, even though she had said she didn't care about getting married, she just wanted to be with me. This was before I realized that if you're going to get a prenup, you should make sure to have it printed on soft toilet paper so it's at least good for SOMETHING when the judge voids it). Once she left, I decided to get back into the dating game.

That was when I found explanations for things (behaviors, attitudes, etc) I'd seen all my life but either rationalized away or just outright ignored. I also found things like divorce statistics, vagimony stats, explanations of how the laws actually work (I've said I got thru my divorce rather unscathed, only I didn't realize that at the time), the psychological and anthropological roots of the behaviors, you name it. A veritable treasure trove of information.

Romantic love doesn't exist. It's a creation of poets and playwrights from the Renaissance era, designed to sell books of poems and tickets to plays. It was later taken over by Disney, Hallmark, Hollywood, and the recording industry, for basically the same purpose: to sell stuff. Realizing this, among other things, was very liberating. It made it easier to walk away from the lies I'd been sold my whole life.

I wish I was still as young as you think, but the fact of the matter is, I threw away my life believing lies, and now I'm 36 and until a year ago I was in worse shape in pretty much every measurable way than I was when I was 19. I wasted 10 years with my ex. Basically all of my 20's (from 22 on). What are my options now even if I DID want to date and possibly marry again? For the most part, women that are over 30. Eww, no. They almost always come with kids (I won't be a step parent again), and my philosophy is real simple: If I didn't get to enjoy her youth and beauty, she doesn't get to enjoy my status and financial security. 24 and under is all I'd be interested in for more than some physical fun, but even then, they require work. And good luck finding one who hasn't been with at least a platoon worth of men. If you're looking for anything more than some fun, the past matters. There are scientific reasons why, but you can Google them yourself if you're really interested.

It wasn't hurt that led me to where I am now. It was the only logical choice. I understand and accept that since I am neither a scumbag POS thug lowlife, nor in the top 2% of men, the only thing I will ever be wanted for is my wallet. Meanwhile, she'll be off having 'fun' with the 2%-er or thug. I'm far from the stereotypical "nice guy" (I'm not nice, and I actually look like the thug lowlife, while having a good job. I have the tats, just not the arrest record or drug habit), but I'm not a member of the desired groups. I'll be expected to pay for this and that, and MAYBE get a peck on the cheek at the end of the night. As soon as I leave, she'll be hopping in bed with the local drug dealer or some d@#$weed jock or something. It sucks, but that's the way it is. I refuse to play that game again. I didn't know all that before, but I do now. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

I'm about one of the most INsensitive people you could ever meet. I could probably work on faking sensitivity, but that would require work, and since there's no payout, I won't do it. I learned a long time ago that sensitive is another word for "weak", and I found that part of myself and eradicated it. He deserved to die anyway.

I wouldn't say that no one will ever get to experience that ^^ side of me again, however. I'm pretty good at faking caring and doing things that make women think there's something more there than there is. And at some point, I may just decide to put those skills to their natural, evil use.

That's in the future, though, IF it ever happens. Every time I think about having some evil fun, I realize how much work it would be, and instead I go fishing, watch a movie, shoot pool, or hang out with a friend or my brother.

I do appreciate that you didn't just mindlessly go on the attack and launch a shaming language offensive.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 PM

323 posts, read 308,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I heard that marriage is a 3 ring circus.
For men, yes.

The engagement ring.
The wedding ring.
And the suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships